User Avatar Image

Who should be redesigned for next MI?

posted by DeLuca on - last edited - Viewed by 534 users

Guybrush: Only slightly, I think. Perhaps no beard and no HUGE dangling bang in front, new coat, etc.

MORGAN: For the love of god make her look more like a hardened woman ie: Kate Krebbs. She looks like Fairly Oddparents right now and I personally think she just looks silly in the game. Her eyes are the size of Elaine's head! WAY too cartoony, even for MI.

Elaine: She's pretty good how she is.

LeChuck: Fix the teeth / mouth, maybe taller and a bit thinner, more defined eyes that have both eyeball and pupil. I highly preferred Chapter 5 version to earlier demonic version, that's for sure.

Voodoo Lady: Older, taller, less EMI more CMI.

Stan: Bigger eyes, otherwise fine

Winslow is fine, if he comes back for another season.

Murray, also fine, exactly how I imagined him in 3D.

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DeLuca said: Guybrush: Only slightly, I think. Perhaps no beard and no HUGE dangling bang in front, new coat, etc.

MORGAN: For the love of god make her look more like a hardened woman ie: Kate Krebbs. She looks like Fairly Oddparents right now and I personally think she just looks silly in the game. Her eyes are the size of Elaine's head! WAY too cartoony, even for MI.

Elaine: She's pretty good how she is.

LeChuck: Fix the teeth / mouth, maybe taller and a bit thinner, more defined eyes that have both eyeball and pupil. I highly preferred Chapter 5 version to earlier demonic version, that's for sure.

Voodoo Lady: Older, taller, less EMI more CMI.

Stan: Bigger eyes, otherwise fine

Winslow is fine, if he comes back for another season.

Murray, also fine, exactly how I imagined him in 3D.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except I'm not sure about making Morgan look harder... maybe give her smaller hips/ a wider waist, but if they dread her hair or give her a load of piercings or facial tattoos or anything like that it'll just be annoying in my opinion.

And Guybrush's chin needs to be restored to its former glory. If you look at a picture of him, just shaving him would leave him with an incredibly pointed chin. I'd really love to see him with a full beard (albeit a short one) like in LCR and a normal chin.

• Yeah, Guybrush needs some new clothes or a more pirate looking coat!

• My only problem with Morgan is her pouty face.

Elaine needs to look younger, I think, maybe her hair fly a little bit with the wind. She looks a bit older than Guybrush, which is oddly offputting (I say this with the knowledge that my last two girlfriends were both 1-2 years older than I am).

• Guybrush: I liked his design over all, though I feel like his cheek bones are almost too defined, especially on the picture of him on the main tales of monkey island page: http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland I see two creases go from the bottom of his eyes to half way down his face and something bugs me about that.. At first glance it looks like he has rings under his eyes like he's tired, but thats when I realised its cause his cheeks are protruding a bit to much in the forward axis.

Morgan: Her eyes are pretty big, almost Anime esq. I don't mind her being cute and spunkey, but slightly more human proportioned would help. And I can't help but feel like she should be slightly shorter.

Elaine: Hair is a little too curly for my liking, I prefered her in CMI, however this design is a world and a half better than EMI so I don't want to complain too much. Rather than redesigning her look I'd rather a look into developing her character. She felt 2 dimensional to me in this series personality wise.

Winslow: Make him more unique. I was bugged a lot by the recycling of body types and faces in this series. Winslow's wardrobe was unique and fun so they can keep that. I'd just like to see him with a new face that makes him much more clearly defined from nipperkin and doro and all the other pirates of similar structure.

Voodoo Lady: Tone down the makeup. Yes voodoo priests do that sort of thing, but I found it distracting. If her makeup was more like bugeyes tattoos that would make more sense to me. Otherwise I think voodoo ladys body structure is fine and her wardrobe ok.

LeChuck: More face less lips. And make him Larger. His proportions distort my perception of whether or not Guybrush was larger than him or not. I know he's bigger than Guybrush, but some scenes don't feel that way. Make him clearly bigger since so he is clearly supposed to be menacing LeChuck.

Pirates: Make the pirate population more unique in facial structure. The recycling was too obvious even with the wardrobe changes.

• Season 2 needs a big change like Season 1 was compared to EMI. Maybe a more lighthearted adventure this time, akin to Secret or Curse. We can't have it dark all the time, but definitely do NOT pull punches anymore.

And uh, use Laserschwert's lighting style. :D

Guybrush - Design Change. More hair, smaller or no beard. Rounder face. New duds. I love the coat but the coat is a trademark of Tales and the next season should distinguish itself.

Elaine - For the love of the pirate god get her some longer hair. Make her hair more like it was in SMI. And give her a few more curves. She looks like a housewife. Keep the face the same.

Morgan - Don't listen to these haters, she looks fine.

Voodoo Lady is fine, Stan is fine. Get rid of the recurring models. Or at least hide it better. If there are Flotsam models in Season 2 I will RAGE.

Next time make the Voodoo Lady's place more memorable, and dramatic. LeChuck's ship is a good idea of what I mean by "dramatic".

• @Kroms said: Elaine needs to look younger, I think, maybe her hair fly a little bit with the wind. She looks a bit older than Guybrush, which is oddly offputting (I say this with the knowledge that my last two girlfriends were both 1-2 years older than I am).

Elaine most likely is a bit older than Guybrush. He is about 17 or 18 in the first game (since in the second game, he's most likely 19, because when he gets his library card and is asked for his age, one of the options is "nine-, err, twenty-one"). Elaine is already governor at that time.

• @Secret Fawful said: If there are Flotsam models in Season 2 I will RAGE.

What about Winslow?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I think it would be odd to see radical character redesigns if Telltale makes another series in the next couple of years. It would be like replacing original actors with new ones in a movie sequel - kind of a jarring lack of continuity.

I'd also rather see the concept/modelling artists' talent and time spent on creating unique new charcters, rather than substantially remodelling existing ones.

Costume changes are another matter.

• I genuinely don't think any of the characters should be redesigned.

New clothes, facial hair or polygon count? -Absolutely, but unless a new game is going to be built in a totally different way, e.g. 2D/Stereoscopic 3D, there is no need. Even if you don’t like them, surely continuity is favourable at this point? As suggested elsewhere, the MI2 Guybrush wasn’t indented to be a redesign, just an update.

Obviously the Curse and Escape Guybrushes had to look different due to the way they were created.

• I'll quote from the thread on Guybrush's appearance:

"I really do like the look Guybrush had in Tales, and would like it to carry over to a Season 2. Except for a couple of things.

First, the buckles on his belt and shoulder baldric were missing for some reason! REAL belts would have buckles of some sort. In a season 2 they should really be added to his model. It's a minor detail but it just bugs me. (Note that Ryan Jones DID include such buckles in his concept drawings of Guybrush's look for Tales.)

Guybrush_thumbs_sm.jpg

Second, I don't like how the cuffs of Guybrush's boots have trim matching his jacket cuffs. Such gold trim on pirate boots is HIGHLY unusual. Make the costume more historically accurate and leave off the gold edging on the boots!

Finally, I think Guybrush should have more authentically piratey facial hair. Maybe lose the sideburns, and give him a Van Dyke beard (that is, give him a mustache to go with his goatee.) That was a very common look for 17th century facial hair. You can see it in the game Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, as sported by Flint, a blond ponytailed pirate who looks suspiciously like our hero.

flint.png

I'd also be happy if Guybrush got a full beard, as he has on some of the Tarot cards.

loverstarot.png

Or, if we want to imagine Tales Guybrush with a full beard, look at this concept art LucasArts did in the course of making the MI1 Special Edition."

guybeard.png

As for Elaine... I know her green eyes were mentioned repeatedly in dialogue in Tales, pretty much making them canon, but I'd still like to see her blue eye color from MI1 and CMI return.

Elaine in CMI:

cmicostume19.png

Elaine in TMI:
    elaineeeyes1.png

I'm aware Telltale basically gave her green eyes to create a contrast with Guybrush's blue eyes, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem. In fact, the Tales episode data sets currently contain 3 different shades for blue eyes.

Guybrush--medium blue eyes:
    guyeyes3.png

Bosun Krebbs--light blue eyes:
    krebbseyes.png

Human LeChuck--dark blue eyes:
    lechuckhumaneyes.png

See? Just pick one of these two other shades of blue eyes for Elaine.

Add Comment