User Avatar Image

Telltale games and Curse of Monkey Island

posted by Griswald Goodsoup on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Firstly sorry to those for the alluring Title, I wanted to generate feedback on such a contentious and popular piece of MI lore.

And secondly, to those who may have already covered this I'm sorry, but at least it's at the fore again.

Telltale Games, I would like to thank you so so much for reintroducing the series we now continue to love. Many people here (for almost a decade) have been waiting tirelessly for the next big MI instalment (if you had a physical store then that'd be one hell of a queue), and we are glad that finally Monkey Island may perpetuate to contemporary generations and not just as a distant memory.

Now I'm sure you're sick to death of hearing many dedicated fans echo their enthusiasm again and again for that dated yet loveable game, Curse of Monkey Island. That, I am sure, all Monkey Island sequels can appreciate as the watershed for continued interest in the world of Monkey Island.

On this note I'd like to ask, plead, that you make a patch for CMI. There is an injoke menu option, which I'm sure you're aware, that says 'Enable 3D acceleration'. I know there have been numerous fan projects surrounding this game, and some exceptional fan-made 3D rendering. But to actually make optional a 3D revisit to the beloved game would most certainly be the icing on top of the Monkey Island/Telltale/LucasArts franchise cake

NB: I know for certain this will be disregarded flippantly, quite possibly it will give the IT guys running the forum a bit of a chuckle. Knowing full well for Telltale to really make themselves the pirate-God's of MI this concept will never see the light of day, though at least I asked.
Sorry to all those who anticipated a CMI revisit. :)

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, that topic title is an absolute tease.

• Trying not to disgregard this flipantly, but to recreate Curse in 3D would be an abosulute mammoth task that I doubt would be finacially viable for anyone. It's well beond the scope of a special edition.

If any other games need remaking in the Telltale tool, surely its Escape?

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Trying not to disgregard this flipanlty, but to recreate Curse in 3D would be an abosulute mammoth task that I doubt would be finacially viable for anyone. It's well beond the scope of a special edition.

If any other games need remaking in the Telltale tool, surely its Escape?

Escape? I'm pretty sure that the Monkey Island series progresses right from 3 to Tales. Repeat after me: There is no Escape from Monkey Island!

• Escape happened, it can't un-happen. And yeah, maybe it's a pretty mediocre game, but it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation suggests.

• @SpaceFalcon2001 said: Escape? I'm pretty sure that the Monkey Island series progresses right from 3 to Tales. Repeat after me: There is no Escape from Monkey Island!

I find it very disrespectful to Mike Stemmle to suggest his game doesn't exist - there is some great parts of the game.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Escape happened, it can't un-happen. And yeah, maybe it's a pretty mediocre game, but it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation suggests.

What has seen cannot be unseen yeah. Look I'm half joking, there are some good things about EMI, but in my mind, it's almost like a fan game, it's just not on the level of the rest of the series with it's iffy characters and plot revelations that insist on unwinding the established cannon.

• I always find it a shame that some fans are so harsh with EMI. Sure it might not be as great as the other games in the series but it's still a decent game. My only real quibble with it is how it messed up Herman Toothrot's character.

• Remaking Escape would be nice, after all, its graphics are now rather dated, and it could look so much more beautiful if it were remade today. Remaking Curse in 3D, I'm not so sure about that. That game's charm came in part from the hand-drawn graphics, and I don't think 3D would add much to it.

Regardless, I'd rather see Telltale put their efforts into making a second Monkey Island series instead of recreating older games - that's perhaps something for LucasArts to pursue.

• Am I the only one that feels CMI is far from dated? The game is still fun to play, and the jokes aren't as grounded in pop-culture as some media does these days. I think it has aged remarkably well. The only thing dated is that to play it these days you need the scumm emulator. While 3d, if done right, could be cool... I feel the charm is with the 2d look. Perhaps a 3d cell shading style could work?

Personally though, I'd rather see a CMI remake that makes the images truely vector so when you see guybrush walking to and from the front of the stage you don't see him getting pixelated.

• All Curse needs to make it better is to have it available at a higher (widescreen) resolution. Ask yourself the question, would having the game in 3D actually improve the game in any way?

Add Comment