24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Try showing Morgan's poster to the Voodoo Lady in chapter 1. Crazy foreshadowing. Also, I think Largo and Wally are widely assumed to be dead, and Ozzie Mandrill gets smooshed.

  • To be honest, gratuitous death kind of makes sense to me in a pirate game.

  • User Avatar Image
    Bas

    Nearly everybody gets killed by LeChuck. I actually think it makes him look more evil, and less like the cartoony villain he became in CMI and EMI. Sort of like how Freddy Krueger got worse and worse after Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

    Also, now that I think of it, didn't the voodoo lady kill Nipperkin? By accident, anyway. That's kind of a weird move for her. Or did LeChuck cause her shack to burn down? I never really got what was supposed to be going on with that plotline.

  • @GuruGuru214 said: Try showing Morgan's poster to the Voodoo Lady in chapter 1. Crazy foreshadowing. Also, I think Largo and Wally are widely assumed to be dead, and Ozzie Mandrill gets smooshed.

    I must try that with Morgan's poster. BTW, her demise was one of the few that made sense in the end. Poor Noogie just *poof* vanished.

    Oh, and I'd be really sorry if Largo was dead. He is to date my favourite minor villain (pun intended!). As for Wally and Ozzie, well, that's EMI...

    @GuruGuru214 said: To be honest, gratuitous death kind of makes sense to me in a pirate game.

    I absolutely see what you mean, but the fact remains that it did not happen this much in all the earlier games together.

    @GuruGuru214 said: Nearly everybody gets killed by LeChuck. I actually think it makes him look more evil, and less like the cartoony villain he became in CMI and EMI. Sort of like how Freddy Krueger got worse and worse after Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

    I'm all for upping LeChuck's evilness (I actually thought he felt rather lame in the first TMI episode).

  • User Avatar Image
    Bas

    @Nosehair said: As for Wally and Ozzie, well, that's EMI...

    EMI is still Monkey Island. And Wally isn't in EMI. Last we see him he's in the Carnival of the Damned in CMI, there's nothing to indicate that he died.

  • @Bas said: EMI is still Monkey Island. And Wally isn't in EMI. Last we see him he's in the Carnival of the Damned in CMI, there's nothing to indicate that he died.

    Oh, I thought there might be something more definite in EMI. As far as I'm concerned, he's alive until proven dead (and perhaps not even then :D).

    All of this notwithstanding, am I really the only one finding the increased mortality rate striking?

  • No, I agree. Some of the deaths made sense, but I never got why DeCava's crew killed Noogie - if they even did. There were a lot of cryptic statements and insinuations around the disappearing characters, so I wasn't always sure whether some died or if something else happened to them.

    The violent aspects were always more toned down before, weren't they? I don't see the point of killing off a bunch of characters if it doesn't make any difference story-wise. Not even with the intention of making the setting "darker" or more pirate-like.

    All that aside, I really liked the darker tone in Tales, in comparison to the other games.

    Hope this post makes any sense.

  • @harald said: No, I agree. Some of the deaths made sense, but I never got why DeCava's crew killed Noogie - if they even did.

    Noogie did die. You can look at his gravestone in RotPG. It says something about the brotherhood. He is by Santinos.

  • I really am left wondering if a lot of the deaths were for a very different planned version of Pirate God. You'd think that all the characters dying would lead to an afterlife stocked with these guys, but what do we get instead?

    Generic Pirate Jerks from a previous episode that apparently died. Wait, what? Just like the Vacaylians being able to reattach limbs, this seems like a case of foreshadowing not ending up in the final game for some reason. I could be wrong, but the theory at least SOUNDS solid.

Add Comment