User Avatar Image

TOMI Launch of Narwhal keeps freezing

posted by dc1606 on - last edited - Viewed by 208 users

Have just started episode 1. Unfortunately the game keeps freezing in the dock area. The cursor moves about once a minute, possibly as delayed reaction to moving mouse , music continues all the time. Jungle scenes OK so far though. Have tried re downloading and reducing resolution to 800 x 600 and quality to 5 but no change. Have Vista business and Radeon X1300PRO. Have updated DirectX when I downloaded .Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Reduce the quality to 1 just while you do that part of the game and see if you can get through.

• Thanks! that appears to have worked! Happy New Year!
    Dave

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Though I think it might work with quality 5 you could try 1 just to see if it works then.
    I think it's best to start with a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.

• File attached. seems to work OK on quality 1 but haven't checked everywhere in the scene.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Card name: 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO
    Driver Date/Size: 10/25/2006 04:40:20, 2493952 bytes

Try the latest graphics driver.

• Thanks. Have downloaded new drivers. Launch of Narwhal still freezes in docks on quality 5. On quality 1 it is also freezing but not for so long! start up screen - settings, save etc- also freezes when I press escape to get there - starts as a large part of the screen before reducing to normal, and usable, size.
    Off to bed now, will check tomorrow! Thanks for the help so far!
    Dave

• I wonder if the problem is caused by high tempratures... Do you encounter the same problem when playing other episodes of ToMI, or even unrelated games?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Falanca said: I wonder if the problem is caused by high tempratures... Do you encounter the same problem when playing other episodes of ToMI, or even unrelated games?

Good idea.

I'll give you a bunch of stuff you can try one at a time.

Let's make sure your Installer is not corrupt.
    MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then unzip and copy the attached MD5 File into the folder that contains the installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.

Boot clean to rule out that any other software interferes.
    Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

Logging your CPU and GPU Temperatures

CPU: Download Core Temp. Start it and activate logging in the menu under "Tools/Logging on".

The log file created is called similar to "CT-Log [TIME][DATE].csv".

GPU: Download GPU-Z.
    Start it, select the "sensors" tab, and activate "Log to File" at the bottom of the window.

The log file created is called "gpu-temperature.xml".

Zip the files and attach them to a message.

• Sorry. I am confused! Downloaded Hashcheck Installer but second file ' source code' not sure what to do with it! Downloaded evaluation version of winzip but don't know what to do with the file from there.
    Tried to extract MD5 file to folder below and got error message as follows. Is that the right folder to put the MD5 file in? Sorry to be a pain!

Extracting to "C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\"
    Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
    Error: Access is denied.
    Cannot create C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\ToMI.md5.
    Administrative privileges may be required

p.s. This is the first game I have played for some time -Christmas present!! - so have no other experiences to report on.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

No problem. The ToMI.md5 needs to be in the same folder as LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe.

Add Comment