User Avatar Image

Vote for Tales for 2009 Nintendo Power

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 207 users

Nintendo Powers polls have opened and Tales has been nominated for a few awards.
I forget all of the awards, but I remembered that tales was nominated for best wiiware game(as a whole, not each individual episode) and best newcomer(morgan leflay) and at least one more(maybe) so vote now
http://www.nintendopower.com/ You have to scroll down a little bit to find where to vote, I coulden't give you the exact link because I already voted and am not allowed to head back to that page incase I might vote again.

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I voted. Make sue you update us when the issue comes out (if you get it) :D

@Giant Tope said: Wow, looking through that list made me realize how out of touch with the mainstream gaming world I was. :|

me too :P

• @PecanBlue said: ^
    http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP250_NPA2009.jpg

Seriously - they're listing "GTA: Chinatown Wars" under "Best Adventure Game"? :D

np: Maximo Park - Tanned (Quicken The Heart)

• Yeah, the term "adventure game" has really lost its true meaning in the media. :/

Or at least to youngins like me who thought that an adventure game was one where you just go on an adventure up until I was introduced to Lucas Arts games about a year ago. I think people are starting to go back to the old meaning now that adventure games are seeming to make a gradual comeback.

Or perhaps I'm just being more aware of their existence? I dunno.

• I think what many people see as an adventure game nowadays, are actually action/adventure games. Tombraider, zelda and Okami all fall into that category, but people are too lazy to say "action" aswell.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Friar said: I think what many people see as an adventure game nowadays, are actually action/adventure games.

Certainly seems that way - although I couldn't work out the difference between action and action/adventure. :p

I found the Wikipedia entry on video game genres helpful in explaining the distinction.

• @puzzlebox said: I found the Wikipedia entry on video game genres helpful in explaining the distinction.

Interesting.
    What they call "action/adventure" (Zelda, etc) I've always just called "adventure" (I don't see how action can be considered NOT to be a part of adventure, anyways. When have you ever had an adventure where nothing happened?).

And what they call "adventure" (the type where you combine objects, etc) I've always called "point and click adventure" (or more often just "point and click", so it wouldn't be confused with "adventure" games).

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@avistew said: Interesting.
    What they call "action/adventure" (Zelda, etc) I've always just called "adventure" (I don't see how action can be considered NOT to be a part of adventure, anyways. When have you ever had an adventure where nothing happened?).

And what they call "adventure" (the type where you combine objects, etc) I've always called "point and click adventure" (or more often just "point and click", so it wouldn't be confused with "adventure" games).

That is interesting - I'm the exact opposite. :p

I'd refer to anything where the gameplay focuses on manual dexerity (including Zelda etc.) as "action". To me, what you call "point-and-click adventure" would be just plain "adventure".

So as far as the Wikipedia definition of "action/adventure" goes, I guess it is somewhere between our two viewpoints. :)

• It's good that the have definitions for these things... Otherwise communication would be near impossible seeing how our definitions can differ.

To be honest, I guess I'm "weird" in my definitions since for instance, to me RPGs (the japanese kind, not the WoW kind) are also a subsection of adventure...
    Basically, if you go on a quest, then it's an adventure, see what I mean?

• @Captain Mickey said: I did my part! Now when does the magazine come out so I know when I can slam myself at the nearest bookstore?

March

• Well, I really wanted to mention Tales for anything really, (I voted for Morgan but that doesn't count) so instead of giving Spirit Tracks the adventure vote, I gave it the Game of the Year vote and gave Tales the adventure vote.

There was no way I was going to miss out on giving Cave Story the love it deserves, though, so it got the Wiiware vote. (Tales was kind of a poor Wiiware port anyway)

EDIT: Also, I consider Zelda action/adventure, but I consider it to be more heavy on the adventure prospect. You spend more time exploring, roaming and solving puzzles than you do fighting enemies, which serve more as a hindrance. Except for bosses and mini-bosses, which most often are even puzzles themselves.

Add Comment