User Avatar Image

Did anyone else notice...

posted by Ashton on - last edited - Viewed by 248 users

Did anyone else notice that a lot of the voodoo (well the serious parts) was REAL VooDoo?? I was a little suprised and a little concerned when I saw that TTG (and presumable LA - not played those games but I asume they're the same) were both invoking real VooDoo...

Did anyone else notice this? Or am I the only one that researches odd and irrelevant forms of magic?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • at first i was like 'huh'?

and then i stayed like that.

=|

• @Ashton said: Or am I the only one that researches odd and irrelevant forms of magic?

Yup.

It'd be nice if you could use some examples so I know what you're referring to. The only one I could catch is the possessing of bodies by spirits, but I don't think that as an uncommon thing to be shown in fiction, even if it's real practices of voodoo.

• @PecanBlue said: Yup.

It'd be nice if you could use some examples so I know what you're referring to. The only one I could catch is the possessing of bodies by spirits, but I don't think that as an uncommon thing to be shown in fiction, even if it's real practices of voodoo.

Biggest and most obvious is the Crossroads; where the material and spiritual planes intersect.

I'll dig up some more later, I'm in a hurry right now.

• Voodoo has always featured in the series. Voodoo dolls featured prominently in MI2, and a little bit in MI3.

• Another one was that fate is almost completely unchageable - that it's predetermined by the spirits.

(which makes me wonder if the VooDoo Lady was _really_ manipulating guybrush, lechuck, etc or if she simple managed a spell to peek at the proverbial script of destany and just coppied it down...)

• @Ashton said: (which makes me wonder if the VooDoo Lady was _really_ manipulating guybrush, lechuck, etc or if she simple managed a spell to peek at the proverbial script of destany and just coppied it down...)

Yeah, this is what she implied. She mentioned something about that in passing while defending herself (although she seemed quite apathetic about doing so, probably because she knew it was futile, further cementing the idea that she knows the future or has a rough idea of it).

Also, I don't really find it surprising that Voodoo was in the game... it has been in all of them. It's pretty common to see Voodoo in pop-culture, and since Voodoo is a legitimate religion, I can't see why they'd be weary of putting it in the game. It would be hypocritical (and slightly disrespectful) to readily feature several aspects of western life but be nervous about including aspects of Voodoo. having said that, nothing too Voodooish was featured in the game, just generic things that can be applied to a number of religions/belief systems.

• What should the Voodo Lady have used instead? Alchemy?

• ...ok then... *shrug* I've always had the feeling that in pop culture VooDoo was either "evil" or Taboo (depending on the place it was mentioned) mainly because of the bad rap it's gotten as a means of creating Zombies and harming people via VooDoo Dolls (though ironically traditionally the dolls are used to HEAL people or even in some fantasy isntances as a means of transportation)

Maybe it's just the area I've been brought up it, apparently I'm the only one who was suprised/concerned *shrug*

• @Nosehair said: What should the Voodo Lady have used instead? Alchemy?

that would awesome, actually :p
    but then her name would be just weird.

• I guess I do not understand why it made you concerned...

Add Comment