User Avatar Image

Could not initialize direct3D and error message

posted by samwize on - last edited - Viewed by 8.9K users

Hi,

i brought cultureshock a few days ago by downloading the demo and unlocking the full game, but when i go on launch game it comes up with an error message saying 'ithis program has caused an error in USER.EXE. or KERNL.EXE.' Then after doing this it says it could not initialise direct3D but i have installed directX and Nvidia. Please could you help me i've waited a decade to play this game.

p.s. i have windowsME not XP

115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "Geforce card" isn't very specific, what type/number is it? (e.g. 9900GT or such).

    Nvidia/Gforce drivers rollback is simple, just install the older ones :) However on nvidia/gforce cards that's not always a solution. Did you (re)install directX after your latest driver upgrade/install?

  • I got a new graphics card, a nVidia geforce 9800, with all up to date drivers, and I still get the same error message. Now what?

  • Re-install directX ? (i.e. run dxsetup or the webbased installer)

  • @fpostma said: Re-install directX ? (i.e. run dxsetup or the webbased installer)

    Done that, it reinstalled, but still no dice.

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @LordErok said: Done that, it reinstalled, but still no dice.

    I took a look at it from the beginning. So basically you have exchanged your graphics card and still get the same error message.

    Did you reinstall DirectX using the web installer or the full version (100MB)?
    If you are not sure, download and install the full version from here.

    Meanwhile you could give us some information.
    Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

    Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.


    Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.

    [*] You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    [/LIST]

  • @DjNDB said: I took a look at it from the beginning. So basically you have exchanged your graphics card and still get the same error message.

    Did you reinstall DirectX using the web installer or the full version (100MB)?
    If you are not sure, download and install the full version from here.

    Meanwhile you could give us some information.
    Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

    Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.


    Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.

    [*] You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    [/LIST]


    Where should I extract the full version to?
    http://rapidshare.com/files/271070882/DxDiag.txt.html
    It can only be downloaded 10 times, but here it is.

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @LordErok said: Where should I extract the full version to?
    http://rapidshare.com/files/271070882/DxDiag.txt.html
    It can only be downloaded 10 times, but here it is.

    Just install it by running the setup. If it asks for a location to unpack first, just confirm what it proposes. That doesn't matter much and you can delete the folder afterwards.

  • @DjNDB said: Just install it by running the setup. If it asks for a location to unpack first, just confirm what it proposes. That doesn't matter much and you can delete the folder afterwards.

    Well I reinstalled from the link, and it still doesnt work. Does the documentation tell you anything?

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @LordErok said: Well I reinstalled from the link, and it still doesnt work. Does the documentation tell you anything?

    That's sad. Some drivers are a bit older. Here are some more things you could try.:
    [LIST]
    [*]Disable/Uninstall Daemon Tools if installed
    [*]Make sure your onboard graphic chip is deactivated (Probably in the BIOS).
    [*]Install the latest Nvidia Drivers
    [*]Install the latest Audio Drivers
    [/LIST]


    If that doesn't help try starting the game after a clean boot like this.

    Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

    After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

    Based on Will's post

  • @DjNDB said: That's sad. Some drivers are a bit older. Here are some more things you could try.:
    [LIST]
    [*]Disable/Uninstall Daemon Tools if installed
    [*]Make sure your onboard graphic chip is deactivated (Probably in the BIOS).
    [*]Install the latest Nvidia Drivers
    [*]Install the latest Audio Drivers
    [/LIST]


    If that doesn't help try starting the game after a clean boot like this.

    Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

    After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

    Based on Will's post

    I tried to disable my old graphics card using BIOs, and Windows Vista won't start. Can you help please? I'm afraid i may have to reinstall Vista.

Add Comment