User Avatar Image

How Old Is Sam and Max?

posted by War Wolves on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I know theyve been out for 20-21 years, but how old are the characters???

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, If they were 8-12 in the 80's (Cuz they are the same age then Sam born in March and Max October so its October in S2E4:COTD So they are both the same age...), then around 14-17/18 in the 90's AND then frozen in time from the big sleep, from when they were considered non-existant for some time, so about 10 years frozen, So they SHOULD be in there late 30's/early 40's but minusing the 10 years frozen they would be in there Late 20's/early 30's.
    Ive come up with this assumption from all that Ive read, so I thank you all for these
    idea(s) that I have thrown into one big one. SOOO...

In my opinion, I guess the Fans Discision Has Been made. Late 20's/Early 30's.
    But, Steve Purcell Will ALWAYS have the Final Discision.

• I'd say the reason for the two different timelines is that the comics were made in the late 80's, early 90's and the games were made in the last decade. I think in any incarnation they will be the same age. Everybodys used to them that way, nobody would read a Batman comic if Bruce Wayne was in his seventies.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: Everybodys used to them that way, nobody would read a Batman comic if Bruce Wayne was in his seventies.

Ah, but if Bruce was 70, so would be all his enimies... that might make an amusing comic "Tales of the superSeniors" OF course tehy'd have a hard time fighting crime as they waundered around trying to remember where they left their teeth :D lol!!!

EDIT:
    Acctually The Tick covered that with a senior super villian, and it turned out hilarious!

• Wait. Wasn't Batman Beyond about Bruce Wayne been in his seventies?

• The TellTale games show them as having been kids in the 80s, but the cartoon series shows them as having been teenagers in the 70s.

• @GinnyN said: Wait. Wasn't Batman Beyond about Bruce Wayne been in his seventies?

No, it was about a replacement Batman. A retired Bruce just happened to be in it. Of course that plausible future will never happen, as Bruce will die in combat before he ever retired, & only a former Robin can ever become a Batman. & Barbara should have been in a wheelchair; she's paralized from the waist down.

• @LikaLaruku said: The TellTale games show them as having been kids in the 80s, but the cartoon series shows them as having been teenagers in the 70s.

I'm gonna keep saying this till people get it. COMIC BOOK TIME.

The characters can never age backwards, but they can stop ageing to keep the story going. The X-Men were teenagers in the 60s, now most of them are in their mid to late twenties.

Sam and Max are no different. All that matters is how old they are now.

• Not only are they cartoon characters, but they're also animal characters. Sam could be 7, he's a dog.

I would also agree that the games would have a different chronology than the comics, that's just a natural thing that happens when you adapt a series to another medium. Really, "Sam & Max Save the World" and "Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space" are probably the first two separate Sam & Max stories that have such a specific continuity between them.

• @Zonino said: I'm gonna keep saying this till people get it. COMIC BOOK TIME.

The characters can never age backwards, but they can stop ageing to keep the story going. The X-Men were teenagers in the 60s, now most of them are in their mid to late teens.

Sam and Max are no different. All that matters is how old they are now.

I think it was Paul Dini who had an interview in which he explained how Batman remains in his early 30s. But my explination would be that DC just makes anything 10-20 years old noncanon, like they did for the 4th time in 94 with "Zero Hour."

• @LikaLaruku said: I think it was Paul Dini who had an interview in which he explained how Batman remains in his early 30s. But my explination would be that DC just makes anything 10-20 years old noncanon, like they did for the 4th time in 94 with "Zero Hour."

Retconning is a big thing in comics. Especially when different writers get involved. Eventually things get too much and then you end up getting things like House of M and Crisis on Infinite Earth and then everything gets reset back to a kind of year 0.

Sam and Max doesn't have to worry about this though since their stories don't follow any sort of timeframe. It's just random adventure after random adventure. Plus the comics aren't as frequent as your atypical Marvel or DC one.

Add Comment