User Avatar Image

How Old Is Sam and Max?

posted by War Wolves on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

I know theyve been out for 20-21 years, but how old are the characters???

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @LuigiHann said: Not only are they cartoon characters, but they're also animal characters. Sam could be 7, he's a dog.

No he can't, he's explicitly been through school.

• @Shwoo said: No he can't, he's explicitly been through school.

Yes it's safe to say that while he's a dog, he doesn't age like one. I'd assume they age like people... or like people in comics at least.

• @Zonino said: Retconning is a big thing in comics. Especially when different writers get involved. Eventually things get too much and then you end up getting things like House of M and Crisis on Infinite Earth and then everything gets reset back to a kind of year 0.

Sam and Max doesn't have to worry about this though since their stories don't follow any sort of timeframe. It's just random adventure after random adventure. Plus the comics aren't as frequent as your atypical Marvel or DC one.

Ever seen the webtoon spoff on House of M by "Floating Hands Studios?"

• Okey wait, they weren't kids in the 80s in the Telltale games, they were "prom aged." So Telltale would have them being in their 30s. In the 90s cartoon, they were teens in the 70s, so they were in their 30s then too.

• @LikaLaruku said: Okey wait, they weren't kids in the 80s in the Telltale games, they were "prom aged." So Telltale would have them being in their 30s. In the 90s cartoon, they were teens in the 70s, so they were in their 30s then too.

Exactly! Always present time!

• I like to imagine that they are ageless beings brought into consciousness at the start of any new story, with little memory of what came before that particular story’s cycle, but with definite, core senses of “self” that determine their actions, relations to one another and their world view. Otherwise their existence is regenerated completely with each iteration, meaning they are given complete memories and back histories which are felt as genuinely as any truly experienced incidents. They are vaguely cognizant of this spontaneous recreation, which informs their fatalistic but humorously cynical demeanor. They are caught in a cycle of unending, unstable, fragmentary reality.

Keep in mind that I have described things as being “meta” and meant it to be a positive thing.

• @Lena_P said: I like to imagine that they are ageless beings brought into consciousness at the start of any new story, with little memory of what came before that particular story’s cycle, but with definite, core senses of “self” that determine their actions, relations to one another and their world view. Otherwise their existence is regenerated completely with each iteration, meaning they are given complete memories and back histories which are felt as genuinely as any truly experienced incidents. They are vaguely cognizant of this spontaneous recreation, which informs their fatalistic but humorously cynical demeanor. They are caught in a cycle of unending, unstable, fragmentary reality.

Now, you see, I want to reply with something like, "The ______ part is this sounds eerily plausible," but I can't decide on what should go in the blank. I should probably take a cue from me kinda loving this theory, and not just because I've liked these mindscrewy story elements elsewhere.

On the other hand, I'm really tired right now. That might be the cue I want to take. Or not. Get back to me on this later.

@Lena_P said: Keep in mind that I have described things as being “meta” and meant it to be a positive thing.

I'm in the same boat as you. If that ship's going down, at least you won't be alone. *salutes*

• Based on what I've read from wikis and such I would say Sam and Max are currently both 43 since it has been said they were born at some point in the 70s. Their first adventure was shown in the 1987 comic, Monkeys Violating the Heavenly Temple, where they would have only been 17 if they were born in 1970, but dogs and rabbits age faster than humans and they're technically part human, so I would have no trouble believing that they have some sort of strange genetic makeup where they age at a quick pace but also at a slow pace. So, maybe after all the strange things they've done like time traveling and visiting a couple different dimensions, plus the fact that they're cartoon characters, they don't actually age at a consistent pace so at the age of 17 they have the appearance of adults and manage to maintain that image for decades until the far future. So yeah I doubt that they're older or younger than 43.

• Their age probably differs, depending on their appearance. And by that I mean their age is probably different from the Comics, to Lucasarts, to the Cartoon series, to Telltale

• "Pushing forty" as Max puts it in one of the games.

Add Comment