User Avatar Image

Thinking about a new PC.

posted by Icedhope on - last edited - Viewed by 120 users

Thinking about purchasing a an ALIENWARE, and are they worth the money they say they are. Because I will mostly using it for gaming, and using my laptop for less gaming and more workity type stuff and wondering what, you guys thought?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have a Macbook Pro, and I can run most games on high on it, with maybe the exception of Crysis, which is just a big system hog. Alienware is pretty good, but if you want to do any editing, a MAC is the way to go. And you can run Windows on it through BOOTCAMP.

    Viruses are hardly a worry too, because virus creators have hardly bothered to take the time to make viruses for MACs. If you run Windows through BOOTCAMP, you'll still have relatively few virus worries.

  • User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

    Hey Iced Hope, it depends on your budget, your needs, and your expertise. I'm a computery guy who doesn't like spending money, so I built my computer for $1200 a year ago and it will still tear up any game I give it. Of course without a service plan I'm on my own if anything goes wrong.

    The Alienware is pretty-looking, pre-built, has STELLAR customer service from what I'm told, but will cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars more.

    Also what games do you wanna play? Aside from all our awesome games, of course ;)

  • @Shauntron said: Hey Iced Hope, it depends on your budget, your needs, and your expertise. I'm a computery guy who doesn't like spending money, so I built my computer for $1200 a year ago and it will still tear up any game I give it. Of course without a service plan I'm on my own if anything goes wrong.

    The Alienware is pretty-looking, pre-built, has STELLAR customer service from what I'm told, but will cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars more.

    Also what games do you wanna play? Aside from all our awesome games, of course ;)

    Of course all of telltales wonderful games. Some of the newest games, on the market.

    I'm going to college for computer programing soon, so I want something that I can play stellar games, and also a computer with a big enough hard drive for codes I have to have store.

    And the problem with building a computer for me is that a lot of my friends, don't know how to build one, and like you said if something goes wrong, then I just blew all of my money.

  • I've never liked Alienware. Their computers are fine, and they have some of the coolest cases you can get on a prebuilt, but their prices are beyond ridiculous. Prebuilts are always more expensive than speccing your own, but Alienware takes "overpriced" to a whole new level.

    I highly recommend going to newegg.com and checking out their prebuilts if building your own is absolutely out of the question. HP computers are another good choice.

  • @ShaggE said: I've never liked Alienware. Their computers are fine, and they have some of the coolest cases you can get on a prebuilt, but their prices are beyond ridiculous. Prebuilts are always more expensive than speccing your own, but Alienware takes "overpriced" to a whole new level.

    I highly recommend going to newegg.com and checking out their prebuilts if building your own is absolutely out of the question. HP computers are another good choice.

    What about prebuilt gaming machines, because I have my laptop wich I use now, I'm looking for a desktop so I can game on, and use my laptop for school and the such.

  • @Icedhope said: What about prebuilt gaming machines, because I have my laptop wich I use now, I'm looking for a desktop so I can game on, and use my laptop for school and the such.

    Almost all of the mainstream manufacturers have a gaming line, but they do ratchet the prices up on those. Still cheaper than Alienware, though.

  • I got my PC from a seller on eBay, riskier I know, but it's worth a wee browse through as well as the usual sources. My PC's not too shabby at all and I picked it up for £300, no monitor or OS but that kept the price down :)

  • User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

    @Icedhope said:
    And the problem with building a computer for me is that a lot of my friends, don't know how to build one, and like you said if something goes wrong, then I just blew all of my money.

    Not quite, you'd have to be extra talented to ruin an ENTIRE computer when something goes wrong. Pretty much the only things that ever fail in my computers are the fans and the power supplies. And I just pop in new ones when they go.

    I personally think it's worth agonizing over researching a new computer project for a few weeks, and going for it. I have to relearn everything when I build new PCs ever four years or so. You could probably have a tower ready for any new game PC for $1000. There's nothing like hitting the power switch on something you built :) Feel accomplished, save monies.

    In my case, having no proprietary software bundled with Windows left it as a blank slate that almost never crashes, and haven't had a single hint of a hardware failure in the last year.

    But in the end it's just a cost v. convenience thing.

  • ^He makes a good point. If there's any way at all that you can build your own, you seriously should. It's easier than it looks, and as long as you take the proper precautions and are careful, you won't ruin your parts. Upgrades will be easier too, since you'll know exactly what to do to swap out a part, and exactly what will fit in your case.

    I built a middle-of-the-road gaming PC for $300. It's not the most powerful thing out there, but it plays new releases just fine, and as Shauntron mentioned, the lack of useless proprietaries keeps things buttery smooth.

  • I can't really offer much advice, other than to avoid Dell. Since they started selling in stores, they had to use cheaper parts to keep up with Demand. They also moved call centres to India, and it's next to impossible to explain something when it goes wrong. I had a laptop from them in October (as a Birthday Present) with a Blu-Ray player in it, which didn't work properly.

    We Spent 3 hours trying to sort it out over the phone, before he told me to hang up, and try some other things, which i did. So the next day we rang up again, another three hours, and still nothing. Then they said they would have to replace the drive, and spent 15 minutes trying to sell me a two year guarantee. Then they tried to sell it to my mother, before finally giving up and sending out someone to replace the drive (we were still within 28 days manufacturers guarantee). They took it and replaced the BD drive, they claimed it was tested, and when we got it back, it was worse. They sent out a repair man, he spent 10 minutes looking at it before saying that he wasn't qualified to sort it out. So we gave up, got a refund (with some trouble) and went to Sony Vaio. (no problems so far. We got a far better deal aswell).

    I'm sure this is not the case for everyone, and i don't mind the fact (well, i do, but thats not my main point) that the laptop didn't work properly, it's the customer service that i didn't like. When you get frustrated over something you don't like, having to explain it 4 times over the phone, to someone who doesn't understand you properly (don't get me wrong, they are intelligent people, but the language barrier is a problem) really doesn't help things.. I'm not sure what Dell are like stateside, but they've gone downhill over here.

    [/rant]

Add Comment