User Avatar Image

Who should make Monkey Island 6?

posted by apenpaap on - last edited - Viewed by 266 users

Who do you think should make the next Monkey Island game? Lucasarts or Telltale? One game or episodic?

Personally, I think Lucasarts has really gone downhill since The Curse of Monkey Island came out, and I'd much rather see Telltale do it. Though I was extremly sceptical about the episodicness at first, I quickly realized that:
1: We get 5x2=10 hours of Monkey Island instead of 4.
2: We get a month of really neat speculation in between each time.
3: We get to give feedback, so they can improve the game (Which is very evident in Tales: compare Launch of the Screaming Narwhal with the last two episodes)
All of this makes me like episodic better.

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm going with Monkey 3 by Rin Gilbert because as much as I love Curse, I'd love the Secret of Monkey Island to be revealed even more, and this option is getting closer to a reality, seeing as how Craig Derrick mentioned revealing the secret in an unexpected way soon, and Ron Gilbert even said he'd love to do another Monkey Island game.

• I think Telltale should make it episodically. Although I really hope Ron makes his MI3 too (even if it was as a "what if" or a "re-imagining" or "alternate universe" thing) :p

• @OzzieMonkey said: seeing as how Craig Derrick mentioned revealing the secret in an unexpected way soon

I expect it to show up on WikiLeaks any day now... :D

• Another epic-sodic game please. I'm not sure Ron's MI3 would be nearly as good in 3D. 2D has a huge charm to me.

• Well, considering (pretty much) all of LA's adventure designers left (to companies like, you know, TTG) I don't think if they did it it would turn out much better than... well... you know what. :p

So, TTG for me. Don't care for the method of delivery, but it would be nice if it could be combined into one game afterwards if made in episodes...

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

@Hassat Hunter said:
    So, TTG for me. Don't care for the method of delivery, but it would be nice if it could be combined into one game afterwards if made in episodes...

If the development considers this option/feature from day 0, they can make it happen and put the internal plumbing needed and build around the episodes.

The way TOMI is done now makes it incredibly complex, but I sense that in future releases that could happen.

Still, it's not a deal breaker to me. I'd settle with a "launch next episode" from within the game (skipping the current and next episode's launcher)

• I fell in love with the episodic distribution format during 2009 and would love for Telltale to stick to this winning formula in the future. I just thought that the speculation, excitement and anticipation that took place on the TTG forums in between episode was just awesome, it was a fun place to be during those periods of time! I wouldn't want to lose that by having a whole MI game. And plus, I enjoyed having a Monkey Island journey that spanned over five months instead of having it in one big hit. If it was up to me, I'd have another episodic MI game made by Telltale, but with Ron Gilbert to be hugely involved in the story, plot and writing process. I'd also like Telltale to make it a 6 episode season with 2 month gap in between to ensure a longer and bug-free episode each month.

• I choosed the Ron Gilbert statement, but thats not very correct. I want TellTale to make MI # 6, as the final installment, with Ron Gilbert. Could this be possible, please??????

• Lucasarts are crummy. All their recent games are crummy. Telltale isn't crummy. Enough said.

Add Comment