User Avatar Image

ToMI review/retrospective

posted by birky on - last edited - Viewed by 360 users

I'm currently attempting a 52 games in 52 weeks blog (originally started in response to my wife taking part in the 52 books in 52 weeks project).

for those of you interested, it's here.
(It's a big of a shameless plug, but at least it's relevant.)

To actually turn this into a worthwhile discussion, I found the more I've thought about ToMI the more I've enjoyed it. I loved the games, minus a couple of niggles, but I think the more I've gone back and pieced the plot back together the more I've enjoyed it's depth.

Has anyone else found this?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • And btw, if Elaine thought that abandoning Guybrush all to himself at the end knowing that he would still make it was ok, then she's a terrible wife and a really bad lover. Plus, that makes her look like she was aware of what's going on all along, which makes her a total b..ch =)

• @Uzrname said: And btw, if Elaine thought that abandoning Guybrush all to himself at the end knowing that he would still make it was ok, then she's a terrible wife and a really bad lover. Plus, that makes her look like she was aware of what's going on all along, which makes her a total b..ch =)

I don't think Elaine knew that Guybrush would have to give up his Shred of Life in order to trap LeChuck between worlds. When Guybrush tells her they can defeat him by injuring him in both words at once he doesn't say 'also I'll be trapped there forever', so I think it's unfair to say that she was abandoning him.

If you don't use the Shred of Life on the rip in time, and LeChuck throws you back through to the ship, you see Elaine hauling herself up onto the crow's nest just as Lechuck comes back through the rip, she doesn't have enough time to get up there and stab him unless he's stuck there, but she was trying.

• @Jen Kollic said: If you don't use the Shred of Life on the rip in time, and LeChuck throws you back through to the ship, you see Elaine hauling herself up onto the crow's nest just as Lechuck comes back through the rip, she doesn't have enough time to get up there and stab him unless he's stuck there, but she was trying.

Well, I didn't get there. Because once LeChuck got stuck in the rip, to me it was pretty obvious what item to use on him.

Maybe she didn't intent any of that at all. I'm not saying she intended it. But she just looked like manipulating Guybrush completely, and I agree with this p.o.v.

• Was it really Morgan's Shred of Life? I thought it was actually her independence - she mentioned to Guybrush that the thing she valued most in life was her independence, and what you hold on to is what meant the most to you in life... just my two cents, I don't think that's been confirmed, either.

I always liked Elaine from the previous games, I just think that, compared to Morgan, she didn't get nearly as much character development in Tales. Morgan got a lot of screentime, a lot of time for us to connect to her and that made her more popular, especially with Elaine being poxed. Although I actually really enjoyed that. Poxed Elaine was hilarious.

I really enjoy Morgan and Guybrush's relationship (and I would be lying if I said I didn't ship them a little) and I'd like more development on that part. Not necessarily into full-on love triangle mode, but... I want them interact some more. And Morgan is just so... conflicted. With her love for Guybrush, but her understanding that he really, truly loves Elaine (as evidenced by her willingness to help him save her in the last Episode), as well as the events in her past (falling in love with someone enough to tattoo his name on her arm, but then killing him. Now there's a story I'd like to hear)... she has a lot of depth. Especially once she realized (in chapter 3) that Guybrush wasn't exactly who she thought he was, and then decided she still liked him, anyway. It's probably pretty obvious now that I'm a bit of a fangirl for her...

And finally, to comment on the original topic, I concur. Although I liked Tales from the start, I think the quality developed positively from the beginning to the end and replaying it, I just enjoy it even more. I really hope TT will be able to add another story to the series, because there really is a lot more to be told. Especially for Elaine.

• @Reaper Lyn said: And Morgan is just so... conflicted. With her love for Guybrush, but her understanding that he really, truly loves Elaine (as evidenced by her willingness to help him save her in the last Episode), as well as the events in her past (falling in love with someone enough to tattoo his name on her arm, but then killing him. Now there's a story I'd like to hear)

Plotbunnies... eating... brain... *flails* On the one hand I'd really like to write that backstory, on the other I'd really like to see Telltale's version. Argh.

But as that has no bearing on the thread, back to the topic! I do like Morgan and Guybrush's relationship even if I don't ship them, as I already said, one of my favourite things about Morgan is that she was prepared to ignore her own feelings for Guybrush in order to talk him into going back to save Elaine.

One of the things I noticed when replaying Lair of the Leviathan was in the dialogue between Guybrush and Morgan at the very end of the episode, Guybrush asks Morgan where she thinks the manatees are going, she replies wherever nature tells them to, and shortly afterwards knocks Guybrush out. To me, at that point it looks like Morgan is considering what her nature is telling her to do, which is to doublecross Guybrush. I might be reading entirely too much into it, but it's things like that which make me go back and play through the games again.

• Morgan is complicated. I think we all agree to that. Somehow it also makes me think that, despite standing into the picture in those chapters, she'd still need some more char development as compared to Elaine in the story. Morgan's too memorable now to stay a one game appearance, and not too meme yet to become a side-char. It's an interesting situation, actually.

• Quoting because yes, Virginia, there is confirmation on this one (emphasis mine):

@ttg_Stemmle said: [QUOTE=flying sheep;242632]i just wached my girlfriend playing the fifth episode and realized that her shred of life was indeed her independance since that was the thing she loved most in life. so she became a puppet of the voodoo lady, just like everyone else.

but morgan was the one evading this fate until the moment she gave it up for guybrush.

< points one index finger to nose while pointing the other one at flying sheep >[/QUOTE]

So Morgan did lie, but it was about the Shred representing her reputation.

Also, just to clarify: Morgan doesn't get her body back. Just the ability to escape the Crossroads and roam the living world as a ghost pirate hunter.

And re: the topic at hand -- much of what Reaper Lyn said, as well as this from birky:

I don't think dislike is the word I'd use for Elaine, but she's probably the hardest character to pin down (and I'd imagine write for) in the whole series.

I think that last quote might the crux of it all when it comes to Elaine and how different fans can perceive her so, well, differently. (FWIW, it was ToMI that got me the most on board with Guybrush and Elaine's relationship, but I friendship Guybrush+Morgan harder than I ship Guybrush/Elaine. Then again, I tend to be more a friendshipper than a shipper shipper, so yeah.)

• @light_rises said: So Morgan did lie, but it was about the Shred representing her reputation.

How does that confirm anything? You quote one person saying one thing, another saying another. This is still on the gossip level. Did TTG team confirm it was the shred of any of those values thou?

@light_rises said: Also, just to clarify: Morgan doesn't get her body back. Just the ability to escape the Crossroads and roam the living world as a ghost pirate hunter.

See, we don't ultimately know whether she did or she didn't. However, this is quoth from her dialogue with the Voodoo Lady after the credits roll (I presume everyone got there, right?) :

M: Here you go. I kept my end of the bargain. Now you keep yours.
    VL: Alright, fine. You will get your body back.

• @light_rises said: but I friendship Guybrush+Morgan harder than I ship Guybrush/Elaine. Then again, I tend to be more a friendshipper than a shipper shipper, so yeah.)

*snaps fingers* That's exactly the term I'd use to describe my sentiments towards Guybrush and Morgan's relationship. I've never heard of 'friendshipping' as a type of ship before, but that pretty much sums it up.

• @Uzrname said: How does that confirm anything? You quote one person saying one thing, another saying another. This is still on the gossip level. Did TTG team confirm it was the shred of any of those values thou?

Look closely at who's quoting flying sheep. It's Mike Stemmle.

@Uzrname said: See, we don't ultimately know whether she did or she didn't. However, this is quoth from her dialogue with the Voodoo Lady after the credits roll (I presume everyone got there, right?) :

M: Here you go. I kept my end of the bargain. Now you keep yours.
    VL: Alright, fine. You will get your body back.

Erm, actually, the Voodoo Lady replied thusly (source, starting about 2:57):

"Yes, your actions have influenced your fate. I will allow your ghostly form to return to the physical realm to carry on as a fearsome pirate hunter."

@Uzrname said: *snaps fingers* That's exactly the term I'd use to describe my sentiments towards Guybrush and Morgan's relationship. I've never heard of 'friendshipping' as a type of ship before, but that pretty much sums it up.

*grin* I love friendshipping. Love love love it. There's a handful of OTPs I gush over, but for me, friendshipping's where it's usually at. It's so underrated, it's criminal. :(

Add Comment