User Avatar Image

Foreign Monkey Island logos

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 291 users

So, what is Monkey Island called in your language? How different is its logo? Post your pics too!
This is my Brazilian Portuguese EFMI CD:
001.jpg

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

Oddly, just the English name for my French version (but disappointingly, only French voices!).

attachment.php?attachmentid=1176&d=12666

• Oh, they didn't mind changing the logo but there was French voice acting?
    It's a shame the Brazilian version doesn't have Portuguese voices, they're English with Portuguese subtitles. I actually like to hear it in my language

Also, Curse:
    001-1.jpg

• Yeah, the French ones had the names in English with a translation.

Like with Curse: the-curse-of-monkey-island-234x300.jpg

You can read "La Malédiction de l'Île aux Singes" on the left side, which is the translation. But they kept the original title and logo.

In-game, Monkey Island is referred to as L'Île aux Singes (since all the voices are in French) so it's weird that just the title would be different, but I guess they didn't want to change the logo?

• I think they did the same thing with Grim Fandango in the French version, although on one of the screens while loading the second disk it says "Fandango macabre" or "Fandango lugubre" (don't remember).

• @Uzrname said: I think they did the same thing with Grim Fandango in the French version, although on one of the screens while loading the second disk it says "Fandango macabre" or "Fandango lugubre" (don't remember).

I remember that in Curse they called it "Le Fandango noir". But it was released as Grim Fandango for sure.
    Actually, Hit the Road, Full Throttle and DOTT have untranslated titles too. I'm not sure about the Indiana Jones games though.

(Incidentally, the French translation of DOTT is horrible. They constrantly use the wrong gender for the word "tentacle", and they call Purple tentacle "pourpre", when "pourpre" is red, not purple, most likely just because it sounds similar.)

• In Spain, the three first games kept the original names and logos without any subtitle or translation, and "Escape from Monkey Island" was translated as "La Fuga de Monkey Island"
    La_Fuga_De_Monkey_Island___Frontal_por_m
    In fact, it was the only Lucasarts game who had a translated title in Spain

• (Incidentally, the French translation of DOTT is horrible. They constrantly use the wrong gender for the word "tentacle", and they call Purple tentacle "pourpre", when "pourpre" is red, not purple, most likely just because it sounds similar.)

Compared to a lot of the translations we get, i'd say those are pretty minor flaws.
    Don't remember how DOTT's was on the whole, though, i haven't played that in ages.. Guess i should try and find it back.

• @Astro Gnocci said: Compared to a lot of the translations we get, i'd say those are pretty minor flaws.
    Don't remember how DOTT's was on the whole, though, i haven't played that in ages.. Guess i should try and find it back.

Well... They irked me. The word "tentacle" is used often enough, and they didn't even check its gender? And seeing a purple tentacle and having it called red constantly is just an insult to your intelligence >.>

I couldn't say what the rest was like. After seeing these mistakes I went to play it in English instead. It's possible it was a great translation apart from these two things, I guess, but when you make mistakes on stuff like that it's hard to imagine you wouldn't make even more mistakes on the harder stuff to translate accurately.

• German:
    1116362561-00.jpg
    It's the only Monkey Island title where they changed the logo slightly.

There is one other LucasArts adventure, though:
    1207160364-00.jpg

While they don't change titles otherwise in German versions, "Fate of Atlantis" is titled "Das Schicksal von Atlantis" in the savegame menu, and only there.

• @LogicDeLuxe said: German:
    1116362561-00.jpg
    It's the only Monkey Island title where they changed the logo slightly.

Wow! I never knew that "MobyGames" meant "Monkey Island" in German!

Add Comment