23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, you mean Detective Conan. I keep forgetting it's called Case Closed in English.

I had no idea there was a Wii game, although I had heard about the DS game. If it's like the anime it's probably marketed to kids. Which is a shame because I much prefer the manga, that's a bit more adult (still a shonen obviously but still).

I think the US is behind in parution. When I left France about a year ago I had at the very least 60 volumes I do believe. I think a lot less are out in North America, so if the game involves stuff that happens later on, it would make sense not to release it yet, right? That's just a hypothesis of course.

• I havent watched the anime in a long time to know if it was marketed for kids, but isnt it like PG rated?

• Well, the American rating doesn't mean the Japanese anime was rated the same.

In the anime, the Detective boys are added to many cases to appeal to younger audiences, I remember discussing that with a fellow fan who lived in Japan. Also, the cases are often simplified, although I guess it makes sense since an episode is much shorter than 3-4 chapters of a manga.

I'm not saying adults can't enjoy the anime. However I know the DS game was for kids, it was a "learn by playing" kind of game. This being said the Wii game sounds like you're actually investigation, which would be more interesting.

• How is anything about the anime for kids? It's exactly like the manga uncensored. I don't know if they censored it on TV though.

• Well, the episodes I saw were not "just like the manga". The kids were added to stories they weren't originally in, cases were shortened, others were added (that's easy to notice since they're the badly written ones) and there is that feature "can YOU guess who's the culprit? Here is a hint for you!" that looked to me like a kid's thing.

This being said, that's entirely influenced by my friend in Japan who was complaining that the anime is marketed towards young kids and as a result much too simplified, and by what I saw of the one game I saw stuff about, the "Detective Trainer" (I found a video here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPahv0Ph_Yc&feature=related

I did dislike the anime (saw the first season or so), but I tend to dislike anime adaptation of manga (although I like some JDrama) so it doesn't mean it's necessarily terrible or anything.

If anyone has played the game I'd be interested to know what it's about.

• Where's did you watch the "can YOU guess who's the culprit? Here is a hint for you!" thingie? I don't remember it when I watched it here in Chile.

In the anime adaptations, for some reason or another, they like to add kids in everything. I don't know why...

• @avistew said: Well, the episodes I saw were not "just like the manga". The kids were added to stories they weren't originally in, cases were shortened, others were added (that's easy to notice since they're the badly written ones) and there is that feature "can YOU guess who's the culprit? Here is a hint for you!" that looked to me like a kid's thing.

This being said, that's entirely influenced by my friend in Japan who was complaining that the anime is marketed towards young kids and as a result much too simplified, and by what I saw of the one game I saw stuff about, the "Detective Trainer" (I found a video here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPahv0Ph_Yc&feature=related

I did dislike the anime (saw the first season or so), but I tend to dislike anime adaptation of manga (although I like some JDrama) so it doesn't mean it's necessarily terrible or anything.

If anyone has played the game I'd be interested to know what it's about.

Really? I guess that makes sense, but I wouldn't say the manga isn't marketed towards kids then either. There are more violent manga in Japan marketed toward kids. Actually I'd more say that it's marketed toward teens.

• @Secret Fawful said: Really? I guess that makes sense, but I wouldn't say the manga isn't marketed towards kids then either. There are more violent manga in Japan marketed toward kids. Actually I'd more say that it's marketed toward teens.

The way I see it, the manga is directed at teens, but the anime is directed at an audience that's a bit younger. Of course, the manga itself isn't a seinen to begin with.

I don't have much trouble with something that's "for kids" to begin with but if an adaptation is more for kids than the original, since I'm not a kid I like it less :P

@Secret Fawful said: Where's did you watch the "can YOU guess who's the culprit? Here is a hint for you!" thingie? I don't remember it when I watched it here in Chile.

In the anime adaptations, for some reason or another, they like to add kids in everything. I don't know why...

It was either at the commercial break, or at the end of the episode there was a hint for the next one. I can't remember clearly right now.
    And yeah, I guess anime tend to be ore childish than their manga counterpart... Come to think of it, it's not that rare with cartoons either. I guess maybe they think this way they can also appear to the population that doesn't read much?

Actually, come to think for it, by definition anime and manga have slightly different audiences. Sure, if you like a manga you might want to watch the anime or the other way around, but I can see how they would adapt them to the average audience of the medium. Which might explain why I like TV anime less than I like manga or JDrama. I'm not part of the target audience.
    (Movie animes are a different story though. And I like some anime, I really like Fruits Basket for instance, it's a bit different from the manga but I like both. I really love the voices. In Japanese. The French voices are absolutely horrible, not for lack of talent of the voice actors, but because they decided things like "this male that everyone thinks is a female should have a very deep voice").

• As with most book to movie cases, most of the time the manga tends to be better than the anime. There are many cases where this isn't true though, like with Cowboy Bebop.

The only case I can think of in mainstream anime where the anime and manga ties for me is Fullmetal Alchemist. I'll always prefer the Detective Conan manga anyway, because I like to read the story and I really appreciate the art a lot more on the page. This is coming from someone who used to hate Gosho Aoyama's art style. However with time, as an artist myself, I've come to understand his style and appreciate it. The man really is a master of the murder mystery.

• @Secret Fawful said: The man really is a master of the murder mystery.

Tell me about it. his knowledge in various stuff is pretty bluffind, and wow, does his now his mystery writers.

I like that his style is pretty unique. Although I have to say I feel it improved a lot since the first volume (in over 10 years, not a surprise).
    I don't really like the other series by Aoyama, be it Yaiba or Kaito Kid. Which is weird because I really like Kid as a character in Conan, but I guess Aoyama improved a lot as a writer in the meantime.

What frustrates me is, as often with senquential art, the publisher. They made him drag it on, from the beginning when he wanted to introduce a new important character (Haibara) for the tenth volume (which is already a lot), they refused and he had to wait longer (although that resulted in his introducing Heiji instead which I can't complain too much about).
    And now, 60+ volumes, well it's moved so slowly that you kinda lose track of the main story. So when it suddenly moves again, like it did around volume 45 I believe, you're just all "what the??" and you can't remember most of the details leading up to it. So you end up screening through 45 books to find the small cases that are relevant... It's a bit frustrating.

Now, I love all the cases, but sometimes I wish they made an "abridged" version that would only contain the cases relevant to the main storyline. That would still be at least 20 volumes by this point, but more manageable. And that doesn't mean not reading the original one as well.
    I had to leave all of my older books behind and rebuying that many volumes, I'm sure you can imagine isn't ideal. As a result I have another reason to want that to happen: it would be cheaper for me :P

Although I have to admit some of my favourite cases have nothing to do with the main storyline at all.

Add Comment