User Avatar Image

Why is In-Store DVD-ROM different?

posted by cringer on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

To Telltale,

Why is the DVD you sent to customers DIFFERENT than then the version that is in stores? I was told the in-store version DOES NOT require online activation. WHY would you send customers a different disc?? This is HIGHLY annoying.

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It is my understanding that Telltale does not distribute retail versions of their games. Therefore, the retail version will be mostly different than the version you get directly from Telltale. I personally would suggest that you purchase the games directly from the Telltale store. Not only do they give you ridiculously good deals on most of their items but they are also amazingly helpful in getting their games to work when people are having trouble.

• @cringer said: To Telltale,

Why is the DVD you sent to customers DIFFERENT than then the version that is in stores? I was told the in-store version DOES NOT require online activation. WHY would you send customers a different disc?? This is HIGHLY annoying.

As far as I know, the Telltale DVD does not require online activation. It only checks to make sure the disc is in the drive.

Oh, and plrichard: W&G, as well as SBCG4AP, were both released to retail by Telltale, no middle man this time around.

• @Pale Man said: As far as I know, the Telltale DVD does not require online activation. It only checks to make sure the disc is in the drive.

Yes it does. The Wallace and Gromit DVD has the same episodes as the downloadable ones. With the same activation.

• If you're buying Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures now, I'm sad to say I'd support the retail box instead of the Telltale store one. The Telltale Store DVD lacks pretty much everything that makes Telltale's Collector's DVDs attractive in the first place, other than the presence of a box and a disc.

• @Rather Dashing said: I'd support the retail box instead of the Telltale store one.

What are the differences?

• @Pale Man said: Oh, and plrichard: W&G, as well as SBCG4AP, were both released to retail by Telltale, no middle man this time around.

Oh ok, cool.

• My theory is that W&G didn't sell as well as anticipated (note the fairly quick price reduction to $20), and Telltale released a scaled-back DVD for financial reasons -- it may not have made economic sense to put together a DVD that has Telltale's usual quality.

I don't think we've ever received a definitive answer from Telltale about the differences. So to repeat RevolverBobcat's question to Telltale: what exactly are the differences between the TTG store DVD and the retail DVD?

• Well, for starters owners of 'shop versions' seem to get a whole load of additional issues ingame with crashes and non-interactive areas.

Sounds pretty bad to me... :?

• It is my understanding that Telltale does not distribute retail versions of their games. Therefore, the retail version will be mostly different than the version you get directly from Telltale. I personally would suggest that you purchase the games directly from the Telltale store. Not only do they give you ridiculously good deals on most of their items but they are also amazingly helpful in getting their games to work when people are having trouble.

If this is the case, then it should be noted on the item on the site. For instance saying "The retail version ONLY does not require online activation. For those who want to play without online activation, then this is the version for you. However, if you want a the Collectible DVD-ROM, which is exclusive to TellTale, then buy ours, but note that this edition will require online activation since the included versions are the one from the site. You may wish to have both editions if you are interested in the collectible special features and the offline activation." Then, in their store they could offer BOTH and let those who want both get a discount for buying both at the same time, and those who just want the retail edition, just buy that one from them or another source.

My largest complaint is that when I read the site FAQ, it said this:

QUESTION: Do Telltale's games have copy protection?

ANSWER: Yes, but we try to keep it as low-key and non-annoying as possible. Our downloadable games use a version of SecuROM that requires online activation. Our disc-based games also use SecuROM. Disc games don't require online activation, but the disc must be in the drive while you play.

This is located under Support / Technical Questions on the site.

• I would guess that if it requires online activation (mine didn't, but that may be because I had previously activated the downloadable versions on my PC), that it was an oversight. I doubt they intentionally added online activation this time around.

Add Comment