User Avatar Image

Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition.

posted by Irishmile on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Do we dare you and I that they might release a Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition with high definition crisp clear graphics?

Or is such a thing to hope for too dangerous with the risk of them completely changing what many believe to be (myself NOT included, I am a MI2 guy) the quintessential Monkey Island experience?

I must admit I would cry real tears of joy if I got that game crystal clear and working without all the headaches on Windows 7

204 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The only thing that needs updating is the resolution, if we could get that game at 1920x1080 with 32bit colour it would look amazing, uncompress the audio so Speech and SFX run at 48Khz instead of 22.05Khz and up the music to 44.1Khz from 22.05Khz, that's all, and of course make it compatible without the need for tricks.

• I'd much rather see a Special Edition of Grim Fandango, preferably done by Telltale, so I can actually PLAY IT!

Anyway, I would love to see a Special Edition of Curse, with the same backgrounds and animations done even better than before in modern Photoshop. As long as they add in the missing scenes and let you play the original version as well.

• Grim Fandango needs it more. Easier controls, less bugs, and compatibility is all you need. Oh, and a little higher resolution graphics. I think the control system in TOMI would work neatly (especially since you didn't have to combine items anyway :p).

• I don't think CoMI needs the "fixing" that has come from the other 2 Special Editions (ie, pixelated characters and no voice work). The voice acting is perfect, as are the audio segments and visuals. As stated above, the only thing CoMI needs is higher graphics and audio resolution and it would be perfect for newer machines/tech.

• I don't think Curse, Escape and Grim Fandango need remakes. They're perfect as they are
    And they work fine on my Windows 7 PC. I just have an issue with Grim Fandango Hardware 3D Acceleration thing, it doesn't work with newer graphic cards :(

• Curse's animations were done in 4:3 ratio. They'd have to reanimate all the cutscenes.

• I would pay full price if they did.... films get cleaned up all the time its not that much of a difference... Or just leave the cut scenes as is like they did in the re-release of the God of War collection...

• @Secret Fawful said: I'd much rather see a Special Edition of Grim Fandango, preferably done by Telltale, so I can actually PLAY IT!

Anyway, I would love to see a Special Edition of Curse, with the same backgrounds and animations done even better than before in modern Photoshop. As long as they add in the missing scenes and let you play the original version as well.

Got to agree, COMI could do with widescreen support, but other than that it's aged pretty well. Still not in love with the way Guybrush looks in it, but the art is beautiful. Now Grim Fandango would be a great game for a SE!

The effort it would take to up res and add in widescreen for COMI does not equal how much it would actually improve it. Still a damn fine looking game on my HD TV!

• Because the game art is already relatively clear and distinct, I would hope that all they'd do is retrace everything into scalable vector art. Any kind of restyling would be both redundant and unfortunate.

Also, I didn't think about widescreen. That makes for a much more interesting problem.

Add Comment