User Avatar Image

The Epic LeChuck's Revenge Comparison Thread!

posted by parabolee on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

I have to admit I have somewhat of a comparison fetish. I always watch those 360 vs PS3 videos and LOVE comparing HD remakes to the originals. Especially when they are of games I love (and I love Monkey Island 2 a LOT).

So I give you my "The Epic LeChuck's Revenge Comparison Thread!", please contribute as you see fit :)

Really love how this is turning out. It's so faithful that from a distance (or with a squint) you can hardly tell the difference.

My only complaint is Guybrush missing his chinstrap beard. May be some backlash from that (from me :)). Looking over the screens I really miss the chinstrap beard :(

Guybrush
Guybrush2SE.png

Walk animation has been bumped from 6 to 22 frames! :)
Guybrush-walk-compare.gifHigher quality Flash version

Screenshots

a2g.jpga1g.jpgb2g.jpgb1g.jpgc2g.jpgc1g.jpgd2g.jpgd1g.jpge2g.jpge1g.jpgf2g.jpgf1g.jpgg2g.jpgg1g.jpgmi2se-a1.pngmi2se-a2.pngmi2se-b1.pngmi2se-b2.pngmi2se-c1.pngmi2se-c2.pngmi2se-d1.pngmi2se-d2.png

More to come tomorrow when I have time.

226 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm really looking forward to this :D

At first I was apprehensive about Guybrush's new sprite, but if I imagine Dom's voice over it, it seems way more promising.

• Yeah the first time I saw Guybrush I was not sure either. Just not how I pictured a HD version in my head.

However he's grown on me, now I think he looks great, the blonde hair and lack of beard is my only problems with it. He has stubble but in the original it looked like an actual (albiet poor) beard, especially with a noticeable tuft protruding from his chin.

If I had my way they would add a little bit of chinstrap beard to the sprite. But a minor quibble really. Other than that it looks fantastic.

• Some of the new backgrounds almost looks like they could have been the original pre-computer-scanned pictures. Just perfect! And I love the swirly clouds.

• @parabolee said: Yeah the first time I saw Guybrush I was not sure either. Just not how I pictured a HD version in my head.

However he's grown on me, now I think he looks great, the blonde hair and lack of beard is my only problems with it. He has stubble but in the original it looked like an actual (albiet poor) beard, especially with a noticeable tuft protruding from his chin.

If I had my way they would add a little bit of chinstrap beard to the sprite. But a minor quibble really. Other than that it looks fantastic.

Yeah, I've thought about this too. I think that these two games are trying to stay true to the third, fourth and fifth games though, and Guybrush was still not totally mature in the third game. For this reason, a little bit of stubble, in my opinion, bridges the gap between the young teenager of MI1 and the young adult of MI3. That's just how I feel about it though, and how I justify it :p

@parabolee said: Some of the new backgrounds almost looks like they could have been the original pre-computer-scanned pictures. Just perfect! And I love the swirly clouds.

I think they've handled the clouds well. They haven't been like "the fans want swirly Tiller clouds!! We must add them into every scene!!", they've used the technique where appropriate and subtly enough that it works as well as it did in monkey island 3.

• Hey, I see you managed to rip the Guybrush animation from the LucasArts website, any chance you could rip the music as well? :D I'm really getting sick of having to listen to the loud, low-quality snoring every time I want to hear the new music. :p

• I'm a little bit concerned about Elaine's Indiana Jones-looking outfit, but otherwise everything looks great!

• @PecanBlue said: I'm a little bit concerned about Elaine's Indiana Jones-looking outfit, but otherwise everything looks great!

I'm not.. I think it's awesome :p

• I don't see what you guys mean about there being no beard on Guybrush. It is there, but its just harder to see. Lucasarts aren't done with the game, so there could still be time to make it more prominent.

• @parabolee said:
    Walk animation has been bumped from 6 to 22 frames! :)
    Guybrush-walk-compare.gif

Although this might just be used on the website...

• @Teeth said: Hey, I see you managed to rip the Guybrush animation from the LucasArts website, any chance you could rip the music as well? :D I'm really getting sick of having to listen to the loud, low-quality snoring every time I want to hear the new music. :p

For some reason I can't find the music?! I have all the sounds but the music is not there. I'll investigate.

@Teeth said: I don't see what you guys mean about there being no beard on Guybrush. It is there, but its just harder to see. Lucasarts aren't done with the game, so there could still be time to make it more prominent.

Nah that's stubble! The original had a full chin strap beard. Take a look at the orignal poster. In this he just has blonde stubble, and there is no additional thickness in the chin strap region.

@Teeth said: Although this might just be used on the website...

I highly doubt they would add all those frames of animation just for the website. LeChuck also has 22 frames, so pretty sure they have increased the animation frames for the game. Which is great because after upgrading to HD, 6 frames in a walk animation really stands out as too few.

Add Comment