User Avatar Image

Something weird just happened

posted by Shwoo on - last edited - Viewed by 145 users

And it happens relatively frequently, I just have no idea what it is.

Sometimes in the mornings, soon after I wake up, I start remembering things that never happened, and get a really uncomfortable feeling. The memories are really familiar to me at the time, but once the uncomfortable feeling stops, I can't remember them anymore. Though I do remember today's better than most. Something about some not very good looking guy I was quite familiar with, and a campfire. Trust me, that's more than I usually remember.

It can be set off by anything. Today it was glancing down at my eraser, and once it was looking at the pattern of tiles in the bathroom. I can usually feel it coming on, because I usually get a snippet or two of the uncomfortable a little while before it happens.

I'm hoping it's really a manifestation of psychic powers, but it's more likely something to do with some mental illness, probably anxiety. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Nobody I've asked knows what I'm talking about, and I really want to know what's going on.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sounds like a mix of mild panic attacks and deja vu to me. I'm not a doctor, though.

• I kinda know what you are talking about. You might be seeing the future.

that's just my guess as I end up dreaming the future every night. usually the next day, but sometimes when I really remember it it takes two days. Sometimes it's very weird and inexplicable until you know the context.

Has any of it ever managed to happen to you? or do you really not remember the things at all?

• ^
    I've never dreamed about this guy but now I probably will. THANKS.

• oh by the way, I also hope it is manifestation of laten metaphysical abilities, (psychic powers, I like Metaphysical abilities better) because they are awesome

• @Shwoo said: And it happens relatively frequently, I just have no idea what it is.

Sometimes in the mornings, soon after I wake up, I start remembering things that never happened, and get a really uncomfortable feeling. The memories are really familiar to me at the time, but once the uncomfortable feeling stops, I can't remember them anymore. Though I do remember today's better than most. Something about some not very good looking guy I was quite familiar with, and a campfire. Trust me, that's more than I usually remember.

It can be set off by anything. Today it was glancing down at my eraser, and once it was looking at the pattern of tiles in the bathroom. I can usually feel it coming on, because I usually get a snippet or two of the uncomfortable a little while before it happens.

I'm hoping it's really a manifestation of psychic powers, but it's more likely something to do with some mental illness, probably anxiety. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Nobody I've asked knows what I'm talking about, and I really want to know what's going on.

I wouldn't worry too much. It could well be caused by stress either apparent or more subtle to you. If you start to not now what is real and not, or start feeling melancholic I would go and see your doctor. If it affecting your life both social or professional I would definitely go and seek medical advice.

Hopefully you get over it soon though. Though with any form of suspected mental illness diagnosis is not a science.

• @ShaggE said: Sounds like a mix of mild panic attacks and deja vu to me. I'm not a doctor, though.

Could be, but I had a look through the symptoms on Wikipedia, and the only one I get when this happens is derealisation. I can't describe the unpleasant feeling any further than just "unpleasant", but I know it's not anything else Wikipedia is describing. But I've never had a panic attack otherwise, so I wouldn't know.

@ShaggE said: Has any of it ever managed to happen to you? or do you really not remember the things at all?

I don't think it's ever happened, but I really can't remember afterwards. The memories do seem to recur, though.

@ShaggE said: http://www.thisman.org/

Just sayin'.

I'm faceblind and autistic (bad eye contact means less looking at faces), so even if I have, I wouldn't know.

@ShaggE said: I wouldn't worry too much. It could well be caused by stress either apparent or more subtle to you. If you start to not now what is real and not, or start feeling melancholic I would go and see your doctor. If it affecting your life both social or professional I would definitely go and seek medical advice.

Hopefully you get over it soon though. Though with any form of suspected mental illness diagnosis is not a science.

It's been happening for ten years, so I probably won't get over it any time soon. I'm really more curious than concerned by now. You're probably right about the stress.

• @Shwoo said: Could be, but I had a look through the symptoms on Wikipedia, and the only one I get when this happens is derealisation. I can't describe the unpleasant feeling any further than just "unpleasant", but I know it's not anything else Wikipedia is describing. But I've never had a panic attack otherwise, so I wouldn't know.

If you had one, you'd know. It feels like you're dying or a heart attack or something.

I'm not too sure what the "weird" thing is. To me it seems that you're just remembering dreams. The unpleasant feeling could be due to not being able to quite remember them, only bits and feelings, which would annoy you. (It always annoys me when I'm trying to remember something and it escapes me). Or maybe the dreams are about unpleasant things and the information is meant to be sorted away in your brain but you still remember bits, which is unpleasant until you forget it.

I don't really see anything too worrisome in what you're saying but I can see how it could get annoying. You can start writing the bits you remember down if you want, I mean if it helps.

• @avistew said:
    I don't really see anything too worrisome in what you're saying but I can see how it could get annoying. You can start writing the bits you remember down if you want, I mean if it helps.

To expand, keep a dream journal. If Avistew's right about it being dream recall, the mystery will be resolved in a matter of days at most.

• I've never remembered having a dream the same as whatever happened this morning, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a dream memory.

Thanks for all the replies.

Add Comment