User Avatar Image

I always thought this would be interesting: Revenge plot point, Spoilers

posted by metroidreborn on - last edited - Viewed by 501 users

Okay, please forgive me for this, but I always thought this would be an interesting theory if it was true.

In Revenge, LeChuck claims that him and Guybrush are brothers and this is supported by the fact that the head of Guybrush's father seems to work as an ingredient for the voodoo doll. Now, Ron gave an interesting comment on this whole situation once. He said "they are brothers, but they also aren't". This gave me the idea that Guybrush and LeChuck are half-brothers. I could picture LeChuck's father being a cheating alcohlic and left his wife and went with a woman and coneived Guybrush. They soon left him though and LeChuck tracked the pair down and gruesomly murdered them in revenge.

That would explain why the father's skelton worked on LeChuck and also makes Ron's answer make quite a bit of sense. I don't know, I always thought that them being brothers was a little too much, but half brothers could put a different spin on it. Since Revenge, that whole brother concept was never mentioned again and was neither confirmed nor denyed in the games.

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • after the line in chap 5 where guybrush wonders if hes a little bit attracted to LeChuck I no longer want them to be brothers

  • @Sailorcuteness said: after the line in chap 5 where guybrush wonders if hes a little bit attracted to LeChuck I no longer want them to be brothers

    Haha, yeah I can understand that.

  • I must've missed that line...

  • @Didero said: I must've missed that line...

    guybrush says to elaine he found her sexy when she was poxed up and wonders if that meens he finds lechuck a little bit sexy 2

  • First,
    [grammar_nazi] @metroidreborn said: In Revenge, LeChuck claims that Guybrush and he are brothers [...] Since Revenge, that whole brother concept was never mentioned again and was neither confirmed nor denied in the games. [/grammar_nazi]

    Second, the fact that the skull works on LeChuck only proves that it's LeChuck's ancestor (of any relation), not Guybrush's father. How can Guybrush tell it's his parents just by looking at their skeletal remains? This isn't CSI. He says it is after like 1 second of looking at them.

    Third, the "I am your brother" speech is an obvious rip-off of/reference to The Empire Strikes Back. It was most likely said for comedic value, not a plot device. It would be lame for the nature of Guybrush's eternal battle against LeChuck to hinge on a tired Star Wars reference, which is why the newer games don't pay attention to it.

  • @Chyron8472 said: First,
    [grammar_nazi][/grammar_nazi]

    Second, the fact that the skull works on LeChuck only proves that it's LeChuck's ancestor (of any relation), not Guybrush's father. How can Guybrush tell it's his parents just by looking at their skeletal remains? This isn't CSI. He says it is after like 1 second of looking at them.

    Third, the "I am your brother" speech is an obvious rip-off of/reference to The Empire Strikes Back. It was most likely said for comedic value, not a plot device. It would be lame for the nature of Guybrush's eternal battle against LeChuck to hinge on a tired Star Wars reference, which is why the newer games don't pay attention to it.

    It was just a theory of mine. Ron has since confirmed that it was meant to be a major story arc for the third game. The newer games do not pay attention to it because they were not made with Ron Gilbert's input, who had a different idea for the third game. I also don't think that logic plays that much of a role in Monkey Island. Guybrush said they were his parents and I wouldn't understand why Ron would have his characters say lines like that unless he is hinting at something going on in that scene.

  • @Chyron8472 said: Second, the fact that the skull works on LeChuck only proves that it's LeChuck's ancestor (of any relation), not Guybrush's father. How can Guybrush tell it's his parents just by looking at their skeletal remains? This isn't CSI. He says it is after like 1 second of looking at them.


    I don't buy this. You're saying that the game's exposition actively lies, for no reason? Say what you will, but Guybrush isn't a person. He's a character, and thus, a storytelling device. If he lies or is wrong, there is some sort of story purpose to it, not just because someone on the internet is uncomfortable with the idea.

    Third, the "I am your brother" speech is an obvious rip-off of/reference to The Empire Strikes Back. It was most likely said for comedic value, not a plot device. It would be lame for the nature of Guybrush's eternal battle against LeChuck to hinge on a tired Star Wars reference, which is why the newer games don't pay attention to it.


    I'm pretty sure newer games never paid attention to it because they were made ten years later, by a largely different staff, and they had to dumb down and cut out connections to past games to serve the children that hadn't played them. After all, can't have kids jumping into the middle of a story and getting scared and confused.

  • Well, then let me say that I don't want the nature of Guybrush's eternal battle against LeChuck to hinge on a tired Star Wars reference. Not when the series' story didn't end with Ron's third game. Maybe if it was made back then, but not now. The series has moved past that.

  • @Rather Dashing said: I don't buy this. You're saying that the game's exposition actively lies, for no reason? Say what you will, but Guybrush isn't a person. He's a character, and thus, a storytelling device. If he lies or is wrong, there is some sort of story purpose to it, not just because someone on the internet is uncomfortable with the idea.


    I'm pretty sure newer games never paid attention to it because they were made ten years later, by a largely different staff, and they had to dumb down and cut out connections to past games to serve the children that hadn't played them. After all, can't have kids jumping into the middle of a story and getting scared and confused.

    EMI never mentioned it and was 50% refranceing the past and TMI refranced the past games a lot just not this part but its not cos they don't think ppl will understand most new fans will have looked up what they dont understand on google or fan sites

  • @Chyron8472 said: Well, then let me say that I don't want the nature of Guybrush's eternal battle against LeChuck to hinge on a tired Star Wars reference. Not when the series' story didn't end with Ron's third game. Maybe if it was made back then, but not now. The series has moved past that.


    Kind of like how if you get carjacked during a road trip, the car has now moved past your original trip itinerary.

Add Comment