User Avatar Image

iPad: Your thoughts?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

I know it's not out yet, but family was having a discussion about it last week.

From what I've read, the starting price for the iPad is [edit]$500, which doesn't include 3G cell capability. For that, it costs $150 more ($650 total,)[/edit] for the device and $15/month for service. You don't use the 3G for a phone, but rather for access to the net.

First, let me comment about how people are talking about the iPad vs. Kindle. My wife and I have a Kindle, and let me tell you that it's much more like reading a book than staring at a computer. That means that you can read for hours and not get eyestrain. With that in mind, I think the iPad would be a bad ebook reader because staring at your iPhone/iPod Touch for hours would give you a headache, I would think. Not to mention the Kindle's battery life lasts for days and weeks, not hours.

Second, it's no more than a giant iPod Touch with 3G access. That's all. It's like a tablet PC with the iPhone OS. Why would any current iPhone/iPod user buy one?

...My Dad says that he thinks it's going to be a big flop. What do you all think?

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • iPad starts at $500.

The iPad might wobble out of the gate, but I think pick-up-and-use computers which can also modularly couple with other things and serve other functions, like hte iPad, have a shot at being a big thing. That's my opinion at least.

• It's a big iPod. Nothing more. Certainly not the revolutionary device apple are claiming.

• Like I've said before. I knew from the first rumours that it was going to be a giant iPod, lucky guess there.

Overall for me I'd say that the iPad Exactly Meets Expectation

• Probably I'm actually the only one who thinks that, but an IPad is an Netbook made easier. I mean, the IPhone is great and all, but is way too small for certain people, just like my parents, and the IPad + a normal cellphone with BIG numbers will work better for them. My mom loves to read the newspaper in the computer at work, but she doesn't like get out of the bed in the weekends and I found the Netbooks way too small for her. Appart, she only want to read the newspapers and check her email, a Netbook with it's way too small keyboard which probably she doesn't gonna use too much and way too small, for her, screen is not going to be any better for what she wants a netbook, while an IPad, yes, that will work for her.

I think an IPad is good for people who can't use or doesn't want use an IPhone or IPod (If the IPad address the complain they had with the IPhone, that it), and I think that actually is what Apple want.

• It's pretty much just a Big Expensive iPhone that doesn't make calls.

• @Strong Bad Fan said: It's pretty much just a Big Expensive iPhone that doesn't make calls.

It does if you have the Skype app.

• @Rather Dashing said: It does if you have the Skype app.

So then it's a Big more Expensive iPhone that makes calls if you download an App.

Something in that Sentence isn't right.

• @Strong Bad Fan said: So then it's a Big more Expensive iPhone that makes calls if you download an App.

Something in that Sentence isn't right.

...the Random capitalization? That seems To be something That isn't Quite Right.

• @Strong Bad Fan said: So then it's a Big more Expensive iPhone that makes calls if you download an App.

Sure, someone could maybe use that in their house on a table, but could you imagine someone walking down the street, talking into an iPad as they hold it up to their face? The thing is 9.5"x 7.5"...

I can imagine it, and in my imagination it looks retarded.

• Funny, just yesterday I was talking about that.
    A coworker of my husband's was interested in getting an ebook reader, but she said the iPad might work better for her because she wants to highlight stuff (she want eto use it with etextbooks mostly).
    I made a comment that she'd be better off getting an ebook reader that has that option (and they exist, even some with the option to take notes and stuff).

So it's funny you should start a thread about the iPad and compare it to ebook readers as well.

Anyway, I have no interest in the stuff but I'm not sure it will fail. Apple has a good history of selling expensive stuff with less functionality than the cheaper options.

Add Comment