User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island vs sam and max popularity

posted by Hee Ho Ho on - last edited - Viewed by 480 users

Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone knew how successful toMI was vs sam n max. the reason im asking is because if tomi was more popular, then it's obvious telltale would make another series, which would be great

thanks,

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • TOMI was INCREDIBLY popular.
    Sam and max is very popular too, because they've got all of the original fans plus almost all of the monkey island fans who were introduced to S&M through TOMI.

• I wouldn't bet against it that's for sure, I know TTG people have mentioned that it was their most successful game to date... and its definitely the most talked about on the boards here judging by posts counts and amount of time each board has been around..

BUT... and its a big one.

Its all up to Lucasarts and they have been known to let Monkey Island simmer for a long time before doing anything with it.... So we will see.

• That's true, Irish, but that was also during a time when LucasArts was just trying to milk the Star Wars cow...so now that they have turned away from that trend...we have to wait and see what happens.

• @elzbenz said: Sam and max is very popular too, because they've got all of the original fans plus almost all of the monkey island fans who were introduced to S&M through TOMI.

Or to Hit the Road through SMI ;).
    Gotta love those old LA adventures. Now only we need Day of the Tentacle as well...

• @Hassat Hunter said: Now only we need Day of the Tentacle as well...

Yes. Yes we do. If Telltale revive the Maniac Mansion series that would be amazing. :D

As for TOMI vs Sam and Max, to be honest I really don't know what would be more popular. But I do think it's safe to say that, so far, they are Telltale's two most popular franchises and that if any of their games are likely to get a second season* it's going to be Monkey Island.

*Yes, I know Sam and Max already has a second season; I was referring to all their games that so far only have one. XD

• Sam & Max! Don't get me wrong, I love the MI Series and bought them all, back in the days, but Max is my all-time favorite. He's so fluffy .... and cruel! :D

ToMI probably does a better job at appealing to the masses, but Sam&Max is the game of choice for every old-school, senseless-violence-loving adventurer. :D

Max: Does it involve wanton destruction?
    Sam: We can only hope.

Sam: Who was that?
    Max: I don't know, but if it weren't for the sheer carefree innocence of this carnival, I'd be breaking his kneecaps.
    Sam: You're a demonic little imp, Max.

Max: Gosh, Sam, if 100 years of western civilization have to be destroyed just to provide a bunch of smelly quasi-human creatures with a safe haven for their disgusting lifestyles, then so be it!

• It should also be mentioned that Steve Purcell, creator of Sam & Max, also created the original box art for the first 3 Monkey Island games and for Tales, so the 2 franchises are connected in a way.

• Yeah, Steve Purcell worked as an artist for LA. The company making the Monkey Islands and Hit the Road.

S&M made a cameo in each of the first 3 MI's too.

And now pretty much most of the LA staff works at Telltale, including Steve Purcell.

• @Hassat Hunter said: And now pretty much most of the LA staff works at Telltale, including Steve Purcell.

Technically, I believe Steve is still employed full-time at Pixar, and his work with Telltale is probably contract-based.

• Yeah... I use "working" a bit loosely, as in... more than just the guy who thought up the characters and has no involvement in it anymore, which seems to often happen with licenses (not here, but with other ones).

Add Comment