User Avatar Image

Boobs: an artistic discussion

posted by Jen Kollic on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

@Secret Fawful said: I decided to do some Morgan fanart, since I've barely contributed to this topic at all. And I used the opportunity to try a bit of a new style.

Sketch to Finished Product-

ws63c0.jpg

That looks great! I love Winslow's expression.

And I also agree that Thriller Guybrush needs to be an official smiley.

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • She's, er, well endowed. I'm surprised they're looking at her behind, I'm sure even from where they're standing her breasts would be more obvious :P

• its probably the sway.... who ever animated her gave her a pretty distinct walk in game.

• Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

@avistew said: She's, er, well endowed. I'm surprised they're looking at her behind, I'm sure even from where they're standing her breasts would be more obvious :P

What well-endowed is varies from character to character. For instance I'm working on fanart of Elaine right now, and even though she's well endowed, her face and hair takes up more of the viewer's attention, and the picture is more serene. Morgan is very well built, and becomes the "butt" of jokes for it, but Elaine is much classier. Morgan is destined to become the Jessica Rabbit of the pirate world, sultry and sly, but for now she's very young and naive and has a lot to learn.

• Guybrush and Winslow's expressions made me laugh the second the picture appeared on the screen. Nice one!!

• I just spent too much time to see if anyone made a gif of Morgan walking... to illustrate what I was talking about when I mentioned "her sway"

but it may be for the best I do not want to be responsible for melting the internets

• @Secret Fawful said: What well-endowed is varies from character to character. For instance I'm working on fanart of Elaine right now, and even though she's well endowed, her face and hair takes up more of the viewer's attention, and the picture is more serene. Morgan is very well built, and becomes the "butt" of jokes for it, but Elaine is much classier. Morgan is destined to become the Jessica Rabbit of the pirate world, sultry and sly, but for now she's very young and naive and has a lot to learn.

But... Morgan doesn't even have big breasts to begin with >.>
    She's got wide hips and big sizes, but she's got some kind of chest-flattening corset or something. The kind that gives you cleavage but from the side you're all flat, you know?

Anyways, I was just making a joke there ;) I wouldn't mind seeing your Elaine piece when it's over.
    I really didn't see Morgan as anything like Jessica Rabbit, though, I have to say. She's not trying to seduce anyone and she feels pretty tomboyish to me. She just happens to be a woman, that's all.

• I definitely don't see Morgan as the Jessica Rabbit type either. I agree with Avistew, the corset emphasises her cleavage, but she doesn't seem to have large breasts.

• I don't think she's like that now, but I think if her character were 20 years older, and more experienced, I think she would become more like that, especially if she was still a pirate hunter.

And yeah, she didn't originally have big breasts. Its just how I tend to draw female characters, but I keep meaning to practice NOT doing that. :D In fact, in this picture, it kind of screws up the clothing; if I was trying to exaggerate it cartoonishly I should have had it flatten her breasts and make them sort of balloon upwards. I should probably fix it, or just reduce the size next time. I'll remember that if I draw her again, so I appreciate the observation. It all helps me learn and develop my style.

Thanks!

• No problem. And it's a common feature to accentuate so I can see how it can be hard not to. I think breasts are hard to draw, not from personal experience but because it seems to often be about extremes when I see other people's drawing: either huge ones or completely flat.
    I think it's a bit like you tend to see males drawn either all skinny or all muscular, but more rarely with a more reasonable amount of muscles that's not all over the place.
    Especially when you're less experienced.

Any way, it can be a style too, the question is just whether it's intended or nor :P
    What seems the weirdest in the drawing his her head being small and her neck long, although that's the case in the game too, you just accentuated it.
    I think her shoulders are too broad. My general rule tends to be to draw males with broader shoulders than hips and females with broader hips than shoulders (androgynous people with both the same width). That seems especially true for Morgan due to her hips/thighs area being her main "feature", let's say.
    However she is strong an athletic so I guess the muscular shapes too. I'd say you can have somewhat broad shoulders, but I'd make them just a bit more narrow.

The arm that goes behind her back also feels a bit weird. It seems to be in front of her torso (not her breast, the side of her torso) but should it be behind it? As in, shouldn't her side hide part of her arm rather than the other way around? (That's y gut feeling but I could be wrong).

Also, it makes you wonder exactly where and how is her hand. I think it might have looked better if you could see just a bit of it.

Her waist looks very good, as does the cleavage (just so you don't think I hate everything about your drawing xD I like a lot of things about it actually but since you said you wanted comments...)

• I wasn't going to post Elaine until tomorrow, but I was told that a job I want to apply for might have a deadline soon. I can't waste anymore time on fanart for now, so I'm just going to post it. It's a bit sketchier without texturing, but not really noticeably so.

Again, sketch to final-

oihl5y.jpgfbaz2u.jpgHigh-Res Image

Okay, I lied a bit, she's well-endowed too, but I think this time her face and hair are the most defining features. :D

@avistew said: No problem. And it's a common feature to accentuate so I can see how it can be hard not to. I think breasts are hard to draw, not from personal experience but because it seems to often be about extremes when I see other people's drawing: either huge ones or completely flat. I think it's a bit like you tend to see males drawn either all skinny or all muscular, but more rarely with a more reasonable amount of muscles that's not all over the place. Especially when you're less experienced.

I think the harder thing about drawing breasts is the weight. Trying to remember that large breasts are held down by weight and that small ones aren't is hard to portray on paper, and I have a much harder time with that. Also keeping them proportionally correct and sitting how they normally would; very tough. As far as drawing more unique breasts that are in-between the extremes, I think a lot of webcomic artists tend to do this and do it very well, especially the artist for the webcomic Questionable Content.

Any way, it can be a style too, the question is just whether it's intended or not :P

In my case, it usually is, unless the character calls for something different.

I think her shoulders are too broad. My general rule tends to be to draw males with broader shoulders than hips and females with broader hips than shoulders (androgynous people with both the same width). That seems especially true for Morgan due to her hips/thighs area being her main "feature", let's say. However she is strong and athletic so I guess the muscular shapes too. I'd say you can have somewhat broad shoulders, but I'd make them just a bit more narrow.

Very good observation. This is a common mistake I make quite often, and one of my biggest foils as an artist. I constantly tend to draw the shoulders too broad, because I have a hard time sensing what is too slouched and what is too raised. Although in this case, it was because I made the upper half of her torso so wide. It's something I'll watch for in the future, and something I think I've managed to avoid in the fanart of Elaine.

The arm that goes behind her back also feels a bit weird. It seems to be in front of her torso (not her breast, the side of her torso) but should it be behind it? As in, shouldn't her side hide part of her arm rather than the other way around? (That's my gut feeling but I could be wrong).

It's not in front of it, but next to it, and as far as the arm being behind the back, that's due to the "sway" she does as she walks, as Irishmile described. However, I think I gave her a bit TOO MUCH sway, and as I look at it, and even tried to walk that way myself to test it, if she walked with her hip extended that far compared to the swing of her arms, she would instantly fall over. Because I instantly fell over.

Also, it makes you wonder exactly where and how is her hand. I think it might have looked better if you could see just a bit of it.

Yeah, I agree. The arm was a bad design decision. I probably should have outlined her fingers where she is holding her sword as well.

Her waist looks very good, as does the cleavage (just so you don't think I hate everything about your drawing xD I like a lot of things about it actually but since you said you wanted comments...)

Well, I admit if someone told me "That looks like crap! Never draw that again!" I would feel bad, but it would just make me try harder. I appreciate all critique. I post art partially to get constructive criticism, and if I don't, it actually disappoints me a bit. I'm glad you liked it.

EDIT: Just to note, I'm better at drawing well-endowed women than I am at drawing muscular men.

This discussion has been closed.