User Avatar Image

an avid fan's heartfelt complaint to Telltale

posted by Hinchy on - last edited - Viewed by 336 users

Telltale, I love you. I own at least one version of every game you ever released (EDIT: well, except for CSI). Your games bring me laughter and entertainment the whole way through.

Except for one, and that is the new Sam and Max: The Penal Zone on iPad.

It is buggy, glitchy, and choppy. Its framerate varies from being as smooth as butter to as smooth as a pit of spikes. The game will periodically freeze for no good reason for up to 30 seconds at a time. Sometimes the visuals will not match up to the action and lag behind for a few seconds. Loading takes sometimes as long as a full 45 seconds between areas. Sometimes the audio will freak out and play blaring glitchy static tones. The game is barely playable.

Now I understand you _probably_ had no access to a real iPad during development, so I'm not REALLY REALLY angry. But, Telltale, I ask you this: could you either fix this mess, or at least refund my $10?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How laggy is it... is it unbearable like the wii version of TOMI, or worse?

It must be at least bearable because people are raving about it on the "customer reviews".

• I know next to nothing about the iPad, but I figure this could potentially help, you don't happen to be accidentally multitasking while attempting to play? The iPad only has what, a Ghz to play with?

If not, I'm a know-nothing idiot whom shall fade into the wallpaper subsequently.

• @Avel said: I know next to nothing about the iPad, but I figure this could potentially help, you don't happen to be accidentally multitasking while attempting to play? The iPad only has what, a Ghz to play with?

If not, I'm a know-nothing idiot whom shall fade into the wallpaper subsequently.

As far as I understand you can't multitask with the Ipad.

• @patters said: As far as I understand you can't multitask with the Ipad.

Ah, I thought it was using the new iPhone OS, which I think finally got multitasking without a jailbreak.

• @Avel said: Ah, I thought it was using the new iPhone OS, which I think finally got multitasking without a jailbreak.

AFAIK, this is still more of a rumor than a sure thing. It's "expected" for 4.0, but not yet confirmed.

As of now, a few of the Apple apps bundled with the iPhone/iPod Touch can run in the background, including iPod, Mail, and (if it's an actual iPhone) the phone service itself.

• The iPad normally runs slick and smooth for me, just mentioning. Mirror's Edge, a game with dare I say more graphical intensity than Sam and Max, runs phenomenally. I suspect something is up with this port job in particular.

I'd love to give Telltale the benefit of the doubt however, and if the problem IS just me, I'd love to see them help me fix it.

• The iPad version definitely leaves a lot to be desired, and from my experience with other apps on the iPad it shouldn't be the hardware. I'm tempted to ask for a refund through iTunes, but I am going to hold out in the hope that Telltale is able to release a patch soon that brings the quality up to par.

• User Avatar Image
    joeldee Telltale Staff

Hi all

Yes, iPad does support multi-tasking. That said, 3D games with rich graphics run best when you don't have multiple apps running.

Suggestion for tuning performance:

1. Hold down the sleep/wake button at the top of the device for a few seconds until the screen displays the message 'slide to power off.'
    2. Power off the device by moving the slider.
    3. Hold down the sleep/wake button again until the device powers back on.
    4. When the home screen is displayed, relaunch the game

- Joel, Telltale

• @The Gentleman said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

Let this cheer you up. Don't breath this.

Please stop posting this to every iPad-related thread.

Add Comment