35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Interesting. I'm not going to read the review for the obvious spoiler-factor but can someone please summarise whether it's favourable or not, and if not, for what sort of reasons?

• Not very positive. Non-spoilery sections:

[quote]There are some good laughs to be had, even if a majority of the jokes fall flat because of predictability or immaturity.[/quote]

[quote]This isn't the sharp wit of touch-enabled adventures like Beneath a Steel Sky Remastered or The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.[/quote]

[quote]Most disappointing about Sam & Max is the array of technical issues plaguing this iPad release. Audio glitches caused grating sounds to pipe through the speakers on several occasions. A major graphical bug forced me to quit out of the game during one session because the screen was disassembled into a series of distorted triangles. It's also worth pointing out that the game generally runs slowly.

Technical problems are sure to be fixed, but the low brow humour holds Sam & Max back from earning a badge and being inducted into the force of top-notch touch-enabled adventures.[/quote]

• It's actually fairly spoiler free to be honest, but here's the in-review summation:

Sam & Max Episode 1: The Penal Zone is amusing in parts, but best relegated to series followers rather than adventuresome newcomers.

Edit: blegh, too slow. I'm honestly surprised that there is no blue highlight mode on the iPad (if it is true and not simply missed) as it was shown on the PS3 demo.

• I've been playing it.

The intro sequence is the worst - several glitches and spots where it hangs for several seconds, or dialogue is out of sync. Once you get to the game itself it's...well...mostly playable is the best thing I can say about it. It takes 10-20 seconds to change scenes, the text is all a little pixelated, audio sometimes glitches out.

Oh, and it runs letterboxed. There's an option to zoom in, but then stuff gets cut off.

I'm not ready to ask for a refund yet, but I do hope TellTale gets a chance to play this on iPad and puts out an update soon.

• What's kind of funny is that this really just sounds like running Season Two on my netbook without downing the settings. Further Optimization may be necessary.

• @Avel said: I'm honestly surprised that there is no blue highlight mode on the iPad (if it is true and not simply missed) as it was shown on the PS3 demo.

There IS a highlight mode. Hold down two fingers, and all the interaction zones are revealed. I believe at some point the game tells you that, but I may have just found it out on my own.

• @Kristopf said: There IS a highlight mode. Hold down two fingers, and all the interaction zones are revealed. I believe at some point the game tells you that, but I may have just found it out on my own.

S'what I figure, reviewer missed.

• [quote]A major graphical bug forced me to quit out of the game during one session because the screen was disassembled into a series of distorted triangles.[/quote]
    Sounds like the stuff happening during overheating of a PC. I've had that too with 205... although I thought it kind of cool Max turning all red :D, and my cursor changing into a random texture. :p

Add Comment