User Avatar Image

Bring back the darkness and adult-ness of MI2

posted by DeLuca on - last edited - Viewed by 419 users

For the next season.

I LOVED TMI, but for whatever comes next please make it darker, less cartoony, less 100% translations of the concept art (it's great, but it should be a concept, not an actual translation), and more piratey please

EDIT:

Basically the buildings like the Flotsam Times and Crimpdigits house are just a bit much for my tastes. That and the proportions and skewed angles

82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • TOMI was dark and less cartoony. How much darker can it get? Do you want LeChuck to pull someone's eyeballs out and feed them to his rabid demon dogs?

• I heard they thought about having Guybrush pant-less the entire game but couldn't figure out how to work it into the story.*

*entirely fabricated

• Are we caught in a time loop, where the same topics keep happening over and over again until we do them the right way?

clock_groundhog_day.jpg

• @DeLuca said: For the next season.

I LOVED TMI, but for whatever comes next please make it darker, less cartoony, less 100% translations of the concept art (it's great, but it should be a concept, not an actual translation), and more piratey please

Okay.

Wait whats this thread?

Oh yeah, this again! If we do another Monkey game (which would be cool, but we aren't right now, if you're curious), I'm sure we'll take a lot of what we learned during the course of Tales and apply it. That includes pushing the creepy/dramatic stuff more, which I think we did more and more as the series went on (to the liking of most who played). I don't think Monkey 2 was truly "dark" or "adult," but they were definitely willing to go for contrast, and the story was willing to take itself seriously when it needed it. I personally think Tales did that a fair amount for a modern Monkey game, I think even maybe more than it gets credit for, but it's something I've always loved about Monkey Island and would hope whatever comes next, they go for it in that department.

@DeLuca said: TOMI was dark and less cartoony. How much darker can it get? Do you want LeChuck to pull someone's eyeballs out and feed them to his rabid demon dogs?

No season 2 spoilers please.

• Jake just effectively confirmed that they are making a second season of ToMI..and everybody knows that if Jake says it then it must be true!!

Also, I've discovered a great way of making ToMI darker for those who think that it wasn't dark enough. I have this button on my monitor (I'm not sure if all monitors have this..mine is rather old so newer models may not have such a button) that whenever I press it the whole screen suddenly becomes very dark and mysterious..even that green light on the front turns off!

The computer stays turned on but the screen becomes a dark, spooky, creepy, mysterious mystery of strange mystery. I highly recommend playing ToMI this way if you think it wasn't dark enough. As I said though, I don't know if new monitors have such a button as this.

Oh, and I was actually able to find some ancient hieroglyph that closely resembles the image on the button:

icon-power-button.gif

So strange..I wonder what it could mean. Definitely something along the lines of "Activate Dark and Mysterious Mode".

• [quote=monkey_05_06;283261]jake just effectively confirmed that they are making a second season of tomi..and everybody knows that if jake says it then it must be true!!

Also, i've discovered a great way of making tomi darker for those who think that it wasn't dark enough. I have this button on my monitor (i'm not sure if all monitors have this..mine is rather old so newer models may not have such a button) that whenever i press it the whole screen suddenly becomes very dark and mysterious..even that green light on the front turns off!

The computer stays turned on but the screen becomes a dark, spooky, creepy, mysterious mystery of strange mystery. I highly recommend playing tomi this way if you think it wasn't dark enough. As i said though, i don't know if new monitors have such a button as this.

Oh, and i was actually able to find some ancient hieroglyph that closely resembles the image on the button:

icon-power-button.gif

so strange..i wonder what it could mean. Definitely something along the lines of "activate dark and mysterious mode".[/quote]

hahaha!

• Guybrush got killed in ToMI...literally died. How could they have made it darker? Also, LeChuck physically beat the crap out of Guybrush in the final episode. I thought it was completely dark enough and I don't know why we're having these same threads over and over again. First the controls thread and now this one. Is ToMI coming out all over again? :rolleyes:

• @plrichard said: Is ToMI coming out all over again? :rolleyes:

Hopefully, since that would mean a bunch more people would play it. Gotta take the good with the bad, you know.

• I feel like Tales had the perfect amount of darkness and angst. Parts of chapter four especially were pretty depressing, so I don't really think that envelope needs to be pushed too much further. If Season 2 ever happened, they shouldn't play it safe but the games don't need much more darkness.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Jake said:
    No season 2 spoilers please.

Yay! Season 2 confirmed!

/thread

Add Comment