155 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No. No, you are not.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but...it is technically possible. We can dream, right?

• I'm always puzzled when I see Ron mentioned =)

I may be the only one on these forums not convinced that Ron is some sort of magical Adventure Game genie, who poos witte reparte and coughs up rainbows.

He was a big part of a team that produced two games I like very much. He was not part of teams that produced two Monkey Island games I like even better.

I don't know that Ron would integrate well with the existing team or be a particularly big contributor. Do you, general forums public? I'll admit that on paper it sounds like it'd be a great matchup, but I doubt anyone here has any inside knowledge of the situation, or even real game development process, to have much clue. And so the level of clamoring and worship that I see on this board seems unwarranted. It also seems disrespectful to the very talented people that have brought us the last two (discounting EMI, or counting it if you like it) games.

This post isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just general observation. It's just weird to me the kind of legendary status he's achieved and I'm not quite sure why. It reminds me of those posts that talk about "wouldn't it be great if LucasArts made a new MI game", as if that meant anything.

With that said, I hope Telltale continue to attract talented designers - they've done a great job so far. Also done a good job of attracting people willing to work 90+ hours a week, eating TellTale-brand Gruel in the Telltale-brand dungeons.

• I'm also not trying to slam Gilbert *at all*. I just think the cult-like status on these forums is a little over the top.

• @Ripcord said: I may be the only one on these forums

If it makes you feel better, whenever people say "Is it just me" or "I may be the only one" several people who share the same opinion will show up. ;)

And yeah there are people here who agree with you.

• Just look up my post in the "We are SO hiring" thread.
    I definitely agree. Wants to make MI3 but leaves LA, leaves Hothead before DeathSpank is done...

Yup, sounds like a pretty lousy resume to me...

• Maybe LucasArts could grab him while he's inoccupied and they could make Monkey Island 3!
    If there was ever a time for a Monkey Island 3, it would probably be now, Ron's done with his project, 1 got a remake, 2's getting a remake, newcomers will be thinking "WTFH!!!!" at the ending of 2, and if they go through with it, us classic fans may get the conclusion of the story that we were hoping for for 20 years. And yes...the secret will finally be revealed! It would have to be an alternate timeline to curse, escape and tales though, probably.

• @monkeymovies said: Maybe LucasArts could grab him while he's inoccupied and they could make Monkey Island 3!
    If there was ever a time for a Monkey Island 3, it would probably be now, Ron's done with his project, 1 got a remake, 2's getting a remake, newcomers will be thinking "WTFH!!!!" at the ending of 2, and if they go through with it, us classic fans may get the conclusion of the story that we were hoping for for 20 years. And yes...the secret will finally be revealed! It would have to be an alternate timeline to curse, escape and tales though, probably.

Yeah, you pretty much collapsed everything I was talking about into one post.

• @Ripcord said: Yeah, you pretty much collapsed everything I was talking about into one post.

I agreed with what you said ^^

• Actually, I think this is a bit like the Lennon and McCartney collaboration. Together, they created something really special (yeah, I know they didn't write everything together), and I think it was that kind of chemistry that just works. Despite hating eachother by the end, the Beatles had such a connection, musically, that regardless of what they wrote it just sounded fantastic.

Ron Gilbert made great games after he left LucasArts. I don't think he's ever been involved in a bad one. He's got a great philosophy when it comes to game design it seems. The reason people love Ron so much, is basically because Monkey Island was the brainchild of his, and while a lot of other people also had a good say in how the games turned out, I think Ron's involvement was kinda like that Beatles chemistry I was talking about. Ron's MI is just that something special, and while games without him were great, they were basically great because of Ron's ideas in the first place. Not to mention, the games have more or less been the same since MI2. LeChuck's back (with or without a companion), only way to stop him is to get a legendary item or some sort, confront him, the end. That's basically how it's been since MI2 - and that's odd, 'cause SOMI wasn't really about that at all, and only MI2 had that sort of idea, but even there it was much more vague than the other games.

The first two built up the Monkey Island universe we all love so much, but it hasn't really changed much since then. MI3a could've been something entirely different, and probably even change the Monkey Island universe to something quite different from what we have now. If MI3 was really supposed to be the definitive ending for the story, then the first two games were probably building up the Monkey Island universe, and then tear it down completely in the third and final game.

The thing is, the game's have been more or less stagnant since MI2 (not including). No questions have been answered, the Monkey Island universe is now in a bubble, which cannot burst. It's kinda like having a Lord of the Rings part 1 and 2, but skipping part 3, then start a spinoff story from after what would've happened in 3, that never really affects the universe at all.

• @StarEye said: Ron Gilbert made great games after he left LucasArts.

Enlighten me... since I can think up... well... none.

Add Comment