User Avatar Image

Speaking of the "Good / Evil Balance"

posted by Mermaid on - last edited - Viewed by 279 users

I've just watched some EMI walkthrough video and found a comment on it which I found very interesting:

"Funny how is Escape form monkey Island, the aim is to save all the pirates from the effects of the ultimate insult and becoming too soft and submissive.
Yet in Tales of monkey Island, they need to stop the effects of the Pox of LeChuck before it turns all the pirates to hard and evil"

I've never thought of that before but it actually matches perfectly with the new found facts about the Voodoo Lady and her control of the "tides of destiny", helping / making Guybrush to do things that balance good and evil.

Also, this is the first time I realize the similarity between the giant shell and the wind machine, especially in their function as an amplifier.

Coincidence? There have been fairly few references to EMI in Tales, but there might actually be a story connection here. What do you guys think?

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • TMI took the best parts of EMI and improved on them

  • That's a very interesting point you make, Mermaid. I love the idea of the Voodoo Lady just trying to maintain balance; being neither good nor evil. It would explain a lot of things, I am in favor of this theory.

  • I like this theory too!
    The risk Monkey Island runs is is redundancy.

    Basically LeChuck comes back more fantastically powerful than before, then there's always some great threat to the caribbean (I think this was a new dynamic that emanates from CMI) E.g. Big Whoop will turn every pirate into the undead; Ultimate Insult will stupefy every pirate, Pox makes every pirate sociopathic, culminating in anarchy and eventual dissolution.

    But to bundle say the Ultimate Insult and the Pox, given their parallel nature, is an excellent rise for the Voodoo Lady to take control of the Caribbean.

    When you think about it the Ultimate Insult and the Pox were not intentional plans set out by LeChuck, even though he attempted to command them in his favour.
    So you might say in each of the Voodoo Lady's plans, LeChuck steals her thunder, their is chaos for a while, then Guybrush brings balance back to the Force... and we're back at square one.

    Now that LeChuck is safely out of the picture, in the hands of an indomitable Voodoo Lady, this is an excellent lead for her to control the Caribbean.
    I'm sensing a very calculating Palpatine-esque manipulator of fates if this is all true.

  • @Griswald Goodsoup said: I like this theory too!
    The risk Monkey Island runs is is redundancy.

    Basically LeChuck comes back more fantastically powerful than before, then there's always some great threat to the caribbean (I think this was a new dynamic that emanates from CMI) E.g. Big Whoop will turn every pirate into the undead; Ultimate Insult will stupefy every pirate, Pox makes every pirate sociopathic, culminating in anarchy and eventual dissolution.

    But to bundle say the Ultimate Insult and the Pox, given their parallel nature, is an excellent rise for the Voodoo Lady to take control of the Caribbean.

    When you think about it the Ultimate Insult and the Pox were not intentional plans set out by LeChuck, even though he attempted to command them in his favour.
    So you might say in each of the Voodoo Lady's plans, LeChuck steals her thunder, their is chaos for a while, then Guybrush brings balance back to the Force... and we're back at square one.

    Now that LeChuck is safely out of the picture, in the hands of an indomitable Voodoo Lady, this is an excellent lead for her to control the Caribbean.
    I'm sensing a very calculating Palpatine-esque manipulator of fates if this is all true.

    I think what Mermaid is trying to say though is that the voodoo lady isn't evil and doesn't want control over the Caribbean, just wants to keep things balanced. If she really wanted to conquer the Caribbean, she could've done it a long time ago. I think she believes that everyone is open to make their own decisions and so can only give people the info they want to know. I agree with this theory though that the voodoo lady simply wants everything to be balanced in the seas. Also, I think LeChuck did plan the pox because I once sent Jake an email in regards to this and he said that in his opinion, LeChuck intentionally became a human and started the pox to influence others to start on the path to La Esponje Grande. Then he would take it all as his own. The fact that he had a voodoo trust charm on him also hints he had all this planned out along with the fact he said he knew more about the cursed cutlass more than anybody else.

  • What makes a lady turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or was she just born with a heart full of neutrality?!

  • I think that this shows one of the great improvements over EMI that TMI has. While EMI's story tries to protect the cool pirateness of the pirates (shallow and immature), TMI tries to protect their humanity (more mature and deep)

  • @Fealiks said: I think that this shows one of the great improvements over EMI that TMI has. While EMI's story tries to protect the cool pirateness of the pirates (shallow and immature), TMI tries to protect their humanity (more mature and deep)


    Wait, what?

  • I think the Voodoo lady is after something... She was the one who told LeChuck about Monkey Island and he went off in an attempt to impress Elaine only to end up dead along with his crew.. later to come back as a ghost.

    Meanwhile LeChuck out of the picture the Voodoo lady needed someone else to do her leg work... and recruits Guybrush in LeChucks place...

  • @Irishmile said: I think the Voodoo lady is after something... She was the one who told LeChuck about Monkey Island and he went off in an attempt to impress Elaine only to end up dead along with his crew.. later to come back as a ghost.

    Meanwhile LeChuck out of the picture the Voodoo lady needed someone else to do her leg work... and recruits Guybrush in LeChucks place...

    I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that she told LeChuck about Monkey Island though. I just think the voodoo lady tells people the info they want to know, even though she knows what will happen, because she knows it's not her place to tell someone what will happen to them to the extent that they know too much. She knew what would become of LeChuck, but he would always be out there in some shape or form killing people.

Add Comment