User Avatar Image

S&M S3E1 Could not initialize Direct3D

posted by Maui on - last edited - Viewed by 484 users

Hi there,

I just wanted to start playing my The Penal Zone...

But all i get is:
"Could not initialize Direct3D" and a white Screen

Specs:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor
8192MB RAM
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5770 (1GB)
Windows 7 64bit

I have enclosed my DxDiag.txt
Please help me so that I can finally play S&M again :(

Greetings,

Maui :(

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Did you run the DirectX Updater?

I'm not sure what your dxdiag shows there. Is it two identical graphics cards or just one with two identical displays?
    Either way, have you tried using just one?

There's a new Realtek HDA driver for you too.

• It is one Graphicscard with two displays attached via DVI.
    And yes I did run the DirectX Updater

• I just deactivated the second Screen via the Catalyst Control Center and the game started working.

Is ATI's HydraVision feature known to cause problems with TTG's Engine? My previous nVidia graphics card ran all TTG games just fine, despite having two displays :(

• I have a 4650 and 2 monitors and got the same generic message. Other Telltale games work fine. I unplugged the 2nd monitor and it works now, but it took me quite a while to find this post to know what the problem was.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Maui said: I just deactivated the second Screen via the Catalyst Control Center and the game started working.

Is ATI's HydraVision feature known to cause problems with TTG's Engine? My previous nVidia graphics card ran all TTG games just fine, despite having two displays :(

It was just a guess on my part. At least now you have a workaround so you can play until there is a better solution.

• Yeah, I also had the same problem with my Radeon 5870 - though for me either switching my main 1280x1024 17" panel to 1024x768 (which is inacceptable, and it crashed as soon as I switched back to 1280x1024 in game) or disabling the other two screens (1680x1050 21" TFT and a 800x600 projector) made the game work.

But still - could we have some multi-monitor-configuration love please? Also, who can develop software without using more than one monitor? :)

Also, come to think of it - shouldn't the game have created an icon in Windows 7's Game Explorer? Because I can't find one...

• User Avatar Image
    Kevin Bloggers

Stange. Almost everyone here has multiple monitors, but I don't think anyone has that video card. I'll see if we can find one to test on...

• Here's a DxDiag.txt if it helps...

• I have a single monitor and I get the initialize error and a "sorry the error is not recoverable". When I installed I chose the check directx option and it installed so I got nothing. I'm using an Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family.

Thanks

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@bigoldearl said: I have a single monitor and I get the initialize error and a "sorry the error is not recoverable". When I installed I chose the check directx option and it installed so I got nothing. I'm using an Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family.

Have you tried updating your graphics driver?
    Can you post a dxdiag log?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Add Comment