User Avatar Image

Ep 1 graphics/framerate on Mac?

posted by ChrisPugh666 on - last edited - Viewed by 793 users

Hi, I'm Chris and I downloaded episode 1 of season 3 today; my main computer that I played all previous telltale games on with an 8800 GTX card is currently out of commission, so I downloaded it on my new macbook pro (first time apple user) to give it a test run. However, it looks very aliasy (especially the shadows which have tons of zbias artifacts and jaggies) even at high resolutions and max settings, and it runs like a slideshow unless I crank everything all the way down so I'm looking at a postage stamp. This surprises me since it has an nvidia 9600m in here which according to some benchmarks I found show runs COD4 at around 60Hz and Doom3 at over 100Hz on this same model of computer, and offhand the visuals looked worse than previous telltale games because of all the aliasing. I assumed it would be drivers, which I assume are taken care of by the software update function on the task bar, and after running that the visuals sharpened up a fair bit but the performance on the street was actually even much worse. I'm new to using Mac OS, and I don't have a reference system available, so I'm not sure if it's drivers, user error, an OS issue, or if the hardware I've got on here just isn't fast enough to run the game at a decent detail level/framerate. Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks,
Chris

PS: From what I've been able to play of the game, its excellent. :)

125 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm having very slow framerates too here. My MacBook Pro is a bit older (Core 2 Duo 2,16 GHz, Radeon x1600 Mobile). I set the graphics quality to lowest settings (1). On the street it is reaaaally slow. I haven't played it much by now. At Stinky's Diner, the framerates seeom better, but also not perfect.

TOMI was fine with my hardware, though...

• User Avatar Image
    U-B

I'm also getting framerate problems. This is on an iMac, 10.6.3, RadeonHD2600. The framerate is so bad that it's pretty much unplayable. I've tried lowering the graphic quality setting to the minimum value, but that seemed to make very little difference.

Whereas, Tales of Monkey Island ran absolutely fine on the same hardware.

• I wrote:
    > I'm having very slow framerates too here. My MacBook Pro is a bit older (Core 2 Duo 2,16 GHz, Radeon > x1600 Mobile). I set the graphics quality to lowest settings (1). On the street it is reaaaally slow. I
    > haven't played it much by now. At Stinky's Diner, the framerates seeom better, but also not perfect.
    >
    > TOMI was fine with my hardware, though...

I tried it with Bootcamp with WinXP. It runs smoothly even with higher graphics details. So it seems to be less of an hardware problem than a problem with the MacOS version of the game engine...

• I have the urge to point at laugh at any mac boys and say macs aren't so brilliant now are they?

Based on the fact no-one with a PC has had any frame rate issues, but 3 mac kids have

• User Avatar Image
    U-B

Hmm, the graphics quality setting seemed to make very little difference at first, but after trying various settings, and quitting and relaunching a few times during that, the lowest graphics quality setting is now giving me a reasonable framerate, even on the street scene. It still stutters a little at times, but it is at least playable now.

• got a macbook pro (core 2 duo, 2,66 ghz, nvidia geforce 9600m gt). to run the game smoothly i had to change the resolution to 1280x800 and quality to 6. now everything seems to work fine, even the neighbourhood-screen (which was horribly lagging first). - and i had to switch between full screen and windowed (and back) to get it working, for some reason.

• @U-B said: Hmm, the graphics quality setting seemed to make very little difference at first, but after trying various settings, and quitting and relaunching a few times during that, the lowest graphics quality setting is now giving me a reasonable framerate, even on the street scene. It still stutters a little at times, but it is at least playable now.

Strangely enough, I am able to play it without lag on my 2008 iMac (128MB HD2400XT) at level 4-5.

• @marcelst said:
    I tried it with Bootcamp with WinXP. It runs smoothly even with higher graphics details. So it seems to be less of an hardware problem than a problem with the MacOS version of the game engine...

Correct, it's an OS problem, not a hardware problem. I've run the demo in both Leopard and Windows 7 on an early 2008 Macbook Pro, and there's almost no lag at all in Windows on the highest resolution and graphics quality, but in Leopard I have to use the bottom settings to play the game.

• I'm having the same issue with TomI, all the walk cycles are funny and the game occasionally slows. Works fine in XP though. there are also a lot of noticeable glitches throughout the game, sounds the same in the new Sam and Max.

• @Emo Hoe said: I have the urge to point at laugh at any mac boys and say macs aren't so brilliant now are they?

Based on the fact no-one with a PC has had any frame rate issues, but 3 mac kids have

I get frame drops in some places with a 5850. 60 stable all the time, but there's just times when it dips to 50's for no reason.

Add Comment