User Avatar Image

Console-exclusive bonuses: an open letter

posted by ATMachine on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Dear Telltale,

I really hate to be such a misanthrope, but this is something I felt had to be addressed.

It seems that on the PS3 version of The Penal Zone, when you start up a second playthrough you get access to a new psychic power: the Nutrition Specs. These allow you to see intriguing new visions throughout the game.

Yet this bonus content is ONLY available on the PS3.

For shame, Telltale.

I am a die-hard PC gamer. I have never been able to "get the hang" of consoles, no matter how much I've tried. I've watched helplessly as big game companies abandoned the PC market, one by one, and transferred all their focus to the console world.

I thought Telltale was unique in placing so much of its efforts on the PC platform. This pleased me deeply, and cemented my love of your games.

When TOMI and then Sam and Max switched to direct control, I assumed it was because of the reasons Telltale stated, that it made it easier to construct the games' environments. Some naysayers claimed it was really because the company wanted to put the games on consoles, but I ignored them.

Then, in the promotion leading up to the release of The Penal Zone, the PS3 version was the only version featured in advertising. Again, I assumed this was because the PS3 was a new platform for Telltale, so you wanted to show it off as much as possible.

Now I find that Telltale has put out The Devil's Playhouse on PS3 with exclusive, extra-cool bonus content that the PC version lacks. This is something I had never expected would happen, and as a "console-illiterate" gamer, it pains me greatly. Moreover, it casts a new and uglier shadow over the previous events I mentioned above.

You've disappointed me, Telltale. I've learned you're just like every other game company: eager to move to the console market, and willing to shaft PC gamers in the process.

Please, prove me wrong in the future.

EDIT: So, maybe it's not so exclusive after all? Great! Mea culpa, I'm sorry, je suis desolé.

The lesson we can learn from this, I think, is that poor communication kills. I went off in a moment of anger and posted an ill-thought-out rant on these forums, but I wouldn't have done so if Telltale had cleared up the exact nature of the Penal Zone bonus content sometime earlier. Blame all around! ;)

221 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Consoles offer developers a lot of money for exclusives... think playing as the Joker in the PS3 version of Arkham asylum... I imagine its a really hard offer to pass on.

Plus I imagine they would like to keep a friendly relationship with one of the gaming powerhouses...

I agree it bums me out that I may not ever get to see the PS3 exclusives but I can hardly blame them.

• You know, nearly all the retarted people (such as myself) that plays one episode over and over to hear ALL of the dialouges are still playing the game on PC platform. Closing the access of some other great dialouges and another cool toy to play around for PC gamers (and... well... iPad I guess?) eventually makes us feel bad.

Um, and, please don't say "you get the DVD, they get the toy". Most of us still don't get the DVD because of the overpriced shipping.

• User Avatar Image
    langley Telltale Staff

The PC version may have more bonus content than you know. Stay tuned.

• @langley said: The PC version may have more bonus content than you know. Stay tuned.

why bonus content for anyone at all?

• @Crrash said: why bonus content for anyone at all?

w8wat?

• I think they meant why exclusive content for anyone at all?

• To encourage multiple purchases of the same thing by hardcore fans, I don't know. I buy every version anyway because I'm crazy.

• @Crrash said: why bonus content for anyone at all?

Bonus content is brilliant! It's enjoyable for fans to have something extra other than just simply the game itself. Also, it's a clever move from any company. If you release different bonus content on separate versions of the game, then there is an incentive for fans (mostly collectors) to buy those other versions. I know that some people miss out on certain bonuses, but they also get extra content that others don't. Everyone gets an even amount of extras, just a slightly different experience depending on which version you buy.

• Yeah it makes sense from a marketing perspective to give out exclusive bonuses per platform. From MY perspective it majorly sucks though, because I will never ever pick up the PS3 version and get the exclusive content therein.

I would much rather that everyone on every release platform get the same bonus content. It's fairer to all the gamers. But then I guess Telltale would make less money...

• Me either ATM... I guess we are just big fans and not hardcore fans like some other people who buy 5 copies of the same game to complete their collection....

Add Comment