User Avatar Image

Odd Puzzle Solotution in The Penal Zone (Spoilers!)

posted by Pillow Talk on - last edited - Viewed by 256 users

I noticed that at the end of the game when you're in the Moleman shrine setting up the dimensional rift generator, that you can plug a large power cable into the Devil's Toychest and then turn on the boiler to make the molemen sweat, causing a puddle of sweat to form around the presumably electrified chest.

My original thoughts were that I set up this trap and then wait for the rift to close and Skunkape to try and open it, but instead you just need to use the paddle ball to entice the dumb gorilla to let go and get sucked into Sam & Max's Penal Zone (lol, I love that gag).

Is this other "puzzle" misdirection? The rift never closes no matter what you do or how long you wait, so there is nothing the "electrified" chest and puddle of mole juice accomplish.

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote="Sierra"]Sorry, you couldn't get the Gorilla in the rift on time.
    The rift closed and the Gorilla ripped you to shreds.
    Hope you saved your game![/quote]

• The point of the mole juice is to make the floor slippery so that he loses his balance and gets sucked in. Electrocution wouldn't be a bad idea, but then you'd have to close the rift, which is the only thing keeping Skunkape from beating you into a pulp.

• @Joop said: ...

Shenanigans. I set up this trap and even left to go eat dinner and he was still hanging on for dear life.

• In Telltale games, the rule is that things generally don't change unless you make them change. What if the rift closed before you "set the trap"? You be dead, that's what. It can't be time-based, obviously, because the rift could close without the sweat and the power cable plugged in.

Besides, the power isn't electricity. It's evil magic.

• @Rather Dashing said: Besides, the power isn't electricity. It's evil magic.

So perhaps I am not powering the chest, but using the chest to power whatever the heck the other end of the cable is attached to. :O

I am well aware of the "no death" policy most adventure games have. Only one I ever played that you could die was Lighthouse. However, sometimes there's a logical error and you miss something you can't go back for and get stuck with no way to progress forward.

• @Pillow Talk said: Shenanigans. I set up this trap and even left to go eat dinner and he was still hanging on for dear life.

It was a joke. In the old Sierra games, when you made a wrong move you'd die, and you'd get these big squares of text with these kind of messages. ;)
    It's kinda sweet that you tried that and went to eat your dinner though.

• @Pillow Talk said: So perhaps I am not powering the chest, but using the chest to power whatever the heck the other end of the cable is attached to. :O

Well, yes. The other end goes to that socket and powers the rift generator.

• @Pillow Talk said: So perhaps I am not powering the chest, but using the chest to power whatever the heck the other end of the cable is attached to. :O

Actually that is the point entirely.

• @Joop said: It was a joke. In the old Sierra games, when you made a wrong move you'd die, and you'd get these big squares of text with these kind of messages. ;)
    It's kinda sweet that you tried that and went to eat your dinner though.

Damn I so miss the old Sierra games where you could die in all sorts of comical fashions.
    Like leisure suit larry 2, where if you didn't pick that thing up at the beginning of the game you would be stuck and unable to complete the game when you reached the end. Bring back those kinds of puzzles!

• @caeska said: Damn I so miss the old Sierra games where you could die in all sorts of comical fashions.
    Like leisure suit larry 2, where if you didn't pick that thing up at the beginning of the game you would be stuck and unable to complete the game when you reached the end. Bring back those kinds of puzzles!

I kinda like 'm for what they are. But I'm never going in there again without a walkthrough. I would've spend 20 hours on a game when realising I had to pick up a pixel in the beginning!
    So... No, we don't need to have these kind of puzzles anymore.

Add Comment