User Avatar Image

So what's recognized as canon in the Telltale games?

posted by ABlackEyedPea on - last edited - Viewed by 277 users

This is just something for you chronologically-obsessed Sam and Max fans. Obviously the comics are canon ("Remember that time in the Philippines?" from 202 is a direct reference to one of the first published comics), but are Hit the Road and the Animated Series canon, too? I can't find a single reference to either, or at least anything I can remember.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ABlackEyedPea said: This is just something for you chronologically-obsessed Sam and Max fans. Obviously the comics are canon ("Remember that time in the Philippines?" from 202 is a direct reference to one of the first published comics), but are Hit the Road and the Animated Series canon, too? I can't find a single reference to either, or at least anything I can remember.

I think "canon" and "Sam & Max" don't get along very well.

• ^this

Also, Max being President. That's the only thing canon in Sam & Max and it annoys many people. I, for one, find it amusing, but a bit overdone. Like a well-done clown at a restaurant.

• Well, Sam & Max have Jesse James' severed hand mounted in their office, which I would consider a reference to Hit the Road.

• @StonkBad said: Well, Sam & Max have Jesse James' severed hand mounted in their office, which I would consider a reference to Hit the Road.

But for some reason it's the opposite hand, and in season two it seems to be missing a finger.

• Yeah, Jesse James' hand. I feel like there was another Hit the Road reference as well, but I can't think what it is. Maybe the fact that Bosco's in the 60s sells guns, liquor and baby needs?

I think that Hit the Road and the comic are both canon to the Telltale games, but the cartoon is so different in tone that it isn't. There's a lot of things that I made up about Sam & Max that are true to me, and that's one of them.

• The Telltale games are really internally consistent. That's all that really matters, though. Since we're not talking about epic narrative arcs here, is "canon" really that important? Or even important at all?

The way I see it, they reference previous adventures, but not to really say "this concretely happened" or anything along those lines. They're not building any walls that say "Because episode 6 of the animated series says THIS, they COULDN'T HAVE done ____ in Sam and Max episode 304". Other adventures seem to more vaguely exist in the past, and they'll be referenced here or there, but I wouldn't say they're tied to them.

• @Rather Dashing said: The Telltale games are really internally consistent.

And not even always that :p Like in 102 the newspaper talk about Brady Culture being arrested and sent to prison, but in 205 the Poppers seem to say they beat him to death then and there. I doubt they put a corpse in prison or that the poppers would break into prison just to beat him to death.

And episode 204 isn't even consistent with itself :p It's a whole paradox and it's better not to thing too much about it, or you start wondering how Sam & Max finished 102 without the singing contract and other things like that, and how both realities can coexist. (Them doing it the way we played Season 1, and them re-doing it while their older self don't).

• What follows is the basic list of canon material. All continuity errors between them can be explained with 'there is an explanation but pray you never learn it because it'd be as boring as hell'.

The Comics
    Hit the Road
    The Animated Series
    The Big Sleep (the comic on the Telltale site)
    The Seasons and Machinimas

Just because something's canon doesn't mean Telltale will (or even can) feature it in a game. Unless Telltale makes some serious deals with the rights holders (which would probably involve something akin to selling one's soul to a man with goat legs), they can never refer to something from Hit the Road or the animated series unless it first appeared in one of Purcell's comics. Even then, Telltale's stated that they want to avoid making references just to make hardcore fans happy.

• Canon in Sam & Max doesn't exist. If it did, it would just get in the way. I'm pretty sure that Purcell said something to that effect in one of the numerous interviews he did recently.

• @S@bre said: Canon in Sam & Max doesn't exist. If it did, it would just get in the way. I'm pretty sure that Purcell said something to that effect in one of the numerous interviews he did recently.

A quick Google search yielded this interview:
    How concerned are you by the ‘canon’ of Sam & Max? ILDC wants to know where in New York Sam & Max’s office is and Snapshot asks how old the pair are meant to be. Do you know this, or does it not bother you?
    I think ‘canon’ can get in the way if you worry about it too much. A lot of people like to organize every detail in character series. For the Telltale series it’s more important to maintain a continuity from season to season. In the comics I was never concerned about it at all.

Add Comment