User Avatar Image

Is it just me or is this game so awesome that it even makes the 4th one look better

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 542 users

I enjoyed TOMI, it was very good. I've been looking towards it about as long as I have KOTCS. :p

It was a good game, though having played it, it makes the 4th game seem even better some how. Maybe it's just me, I'm wondering if you feel the same, do you?

Feel the same do you, yesss?

When I'm playing the 4th, or rather thinking about it in my mind, the CGI and game play controls seem to be more acceptable on account of TOMI. When I think about EMI I think about the game that came before TOMI. Story elements aside, the game seems to level out nicely one place behind TOMI on the MI time line.

The 3d graphics are perfected from EMI and so are the controls in TOMI.

EMI strangely seems to get better with age next to TOMI.

Any one else feel the same way?

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Though I don't dislike Escape like many other Monkey fans did, I do think it feels the most out of place with the rest of the series. Though both EMI and TMI were in 3D, TMI made much better use of the "Third Dimension" than Escape did. Without possibly the budget limitations or lack of time, Escape might as well have been 2D. The concept sketches for Escape weren't half bad. Whereas much of what makes Tales work comes through in the 3D, i.e. camera angles, dramatic shots, sight gags, character facial animations, etc. Escape was nowhere near as polished in these areas.

I haven't played Escape for a while, so I'll see if TMI makes it look better when I play it next, which will be soon since I just finished Curse, then I'm playing Escape, then TMI when the DVD arrives, then SMI:SE and then MI2: Special Edition!

• I stand by my belief that many people hate on the fourth game just because it has become "cool" to do so.

Not my favorite one but its not bad

• Its the worst of the games but it is still monkey island which is far more uber than any other game known to man. But a special edition Escape with the 3d models updated to style of TOMI, and point and click controls (no weird guybrush head spinning behaviour) is all i will ask for to save it.

• @monkeymovies said: Though both EMI and TMI were in 3D, TMI made much better use of the "Third Dimension" than Escape did. Without possibly the budget limitations or lack of time, Escape might as well have been 2D. The concept sketches for Escape weren't half bad. Whereas much of what makes Tales work comes through in the 3D, i.e. camera angles, dramatic shots, sight gags, character facial animations, etc. Escape was nowhere near as polished in these areas.

I think you're right on the money with this. I remember one of the game's developers (can't recall who) saying in an interview that they felt pressured into making EMI 3D because so many other new games were at the time, and not because it was the best thing for the game itself. Back then, the technology just didn't exist yet to make a 3D game as sophisticated as TOMI.

That wasn't the only problem I had with EMI, but it definitely didn't help matters either.

• You're kinda right. I hated the 4th game being in 3D but now it is cool for me. I wish you could just click on where you want to go in ToMI like CoMI. I got mad when I first started ToMI because I had to hold my left mouse button the entire game. Also why isn't there an "always run" option? Why do I have to put smth heavy on my shift button? -.-" In the new season I hope they will add more options to the game.

• @Irishmile said: I stand by my belief that many people hate on the fourth game just because it has become "cool" to do so.

Not my favorite one but its not bad

Second. I actually love the fourth game even though it's my least favorite of the entire series. People hate the fourth game because it has almost become an ongoing joke that it is absolutely terrible, when it's actually not.

• @Griffith said: You're kinda right. I hated the 4th game being in 3D but now it is cool for me. I wish you could just click on where you want to go in ToMI like CoMI. I got mad when I first started ToMI because I had to hold my left mouse button the entire game. Also why isn't there an "always run" option? Why do I have to put smth heavy on my shift button? -.-" In the new season I hope they will add more options to the game.

You do know that the right click while clicking and dragging is run dont you?

• Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island are still the equally bad games that ruined the Monkey Island franchise, as far as I'm concerned. They both did some things extremely well, and did other(arguably more important) things very badly. They contributed some good, but overall...I could gladly live in a universe without them.

Still, Tales is the best in that line, and if we keep going in this direction I think I can accept them as unfortunate blips in history, like that first Incredible Hulk film that made no impact on anything.

• Escape from Monkey Island is my least favourite MI game, sure. But I'd still give it an 8/10. The other games are all 9's or 10's.

Add Comment