User Avatar Image

A Sign of Things to Come?

posted by mateo360 on - last edited - Viewed by 168 users

So I noticed that if you do the wrong things in 302, you get "death" scenes. Could that mean we could actually see things like king's quest or space quest from telltale? This game proves that they can come up with them.

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I wouldn't put it past them, but the things you get killed for make complete sense, not "You plugged in a toaster, you get electrocuted and die" and it always brings you back to right before it, so maybe more like prince of Persia Sands of Time in adventure format.

• Think Full Throttle - "Let me try that again". It's long been a staple of Lucasarts adventures that you can't get truly stuck or killed, in stark contrast to Sierra's adventures where finding the many gruesome ways to release more of your precious bodily fluids than you could spare was something of a game all by itself (and as for getting stuck - try forgetting to write down the time machine's original setting in Space Quest 4, that was just brutal). Telltale has been carrying on the former tradition and I doubt they're going to change that. Imagine the outrage!

Unless someone's thinking of picking up some of those lovely old Sierra licenses?

• did you have to do something specific to get him to say "Let me try that again"?

in all of the times I have played through what I could of Full Throttle I've never gotten him to say it. of coursed, all I have died was falling off of the bike after being defeated in a fight.

• @Helstrom said: (and as for getting stuck - try forgetting to write down the time machine's original setting in Space Quest 4, that was just brutal).

Try this: trying to light the firecracker AFTER you already made the baby dragon swallow it, in Discworld. My Sister was PISSED, big time, at me, lol. :o

• @Remolay said: in all of the times I have played through what I could of Full Throttle I've never gotten him to say it. of coursed, all I have died was falling off of the bike after being defeated in a fight.

You can die in plenty of ways during the final puzzle, with all the out of control vehicles blasting down the highway towards the gorge.

• @Remolay said: did you have to do something specific to get him to say "Let me try that again"?

in all of the times I have played through what I could of Full Throttle I've never gotten him to say it. of coursed, all I have died was falling off of the bike after being defeated in a fight.

In the endgame sequence of FT, if you screw something up (take too long, etc) you can die. After the death cutscene plays, the screen goes black and Ben says "Damn. Let me try that again" and then you get sent back to do it over.

Edit: Haha, Jake beat me to it I see.

• @Jake said: You can die in plenty of ways during the final puzzle, with all the out of control vehicles blasting down the highway towards the gorge.

I dont know why I thought the exclerator would help

• King's Quest VII did the same thing though. If you died, you could just start at that same screen before you died. Although the way Sam and Max talk about It reminds me of the way Monkey island 2 Dealt with the acid pit death.

• I have to say that I avoided doing anything that would cause me to die even though I knew I would be able to start over again. I also tried less things I might have tried otherwise in case it ended up killing me.
    Loved the episode, but definitely didn't try stuff I wasn't sure were the solution because of that.

Just sharing my personal opinion. Doesn't mean I wouldn't play the games if you went in that direction of allowing the characters to die in every game, but it would annoy me not being able to try any goofy thing I can think off for fear of getting killed.

• ...So, am I the only one who didn't know what people were talking about for a minute because I didn't even consider them to be "death scenes"?

Seriously, they had the same severity of a slap on the wrist, if that. It felt very much like the Telltale standard "Oopsie, that wasn't it, try again" stuff.

Add Comment