So the first two episodes are out and yay, they're pretty good. But I wanted to create a thread about the little things that make you like the games even more. The point is to try and make Telltale see that we appreciate small attention to detail, like the Monkey 2 sinking reference in Lair of the Leviathan. It can be thankless work. I hope to change that here.
Needless to say, spoilers ho.
So, little things I liked, personally/noticed:
In Episode One:
- Using a power or verb option on anything will lend different jokes under different circumstances. The number of times you click matters.
- The way the dialogue is written allows it to make sense even if Max isn't around to deliver a punchline. So if Max is busy getting choked by a gorilla, and you, say, try offering another gorilla a gun ("Use gun on gorilla"), Sam's actions still make sense.
- There are cockroaches at Stinky's. There are no rats. If the cockroach is the cook, it makes sense.
- The music that shows up when Max is introduced is slightly reminiscent of Looney Tunes and works very well.
In Episode Two:
- Anyone talking with a barrier between them and Sam and Max talks incredibly quickly, as in Bioshock.
- Grandpa Moleman actually tells Amelia a story. You can listen to it.
- Last Express references. I caught one.
- That you can "die". That the characters comment on it. The best one - and the one with most suspense - was Sammeth hanging over the Pit of Flesh-Eating Ants and slowly descending. It raises the stakes up a little without becoming Sierra-style frustrating. (Unlike that sucky dead-end, I imagine.)
- The music as you're at the end, hanging, reminds me (and apparently others) of North By Northwest.
I had others. I'm done procrastinating on other things, so I'll leave them for now.
Add some stuffs.