User Avatar Image

Classic movies

posted by Kroms on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Anyone here love classic movies?

I'm not talking about a modern classic, iether. I'm talking about movies made back when before scientists invented colour: where the world was still, literally, black and white. Well, movies that had colour added later are okay. Oh, and made pre-1990 :)

Recommend, recommend.

So...uhhh....I'll start with the 1933 version of King Kong, which was quite a thrill, really, once I got into it. I will also recommend Hitchcock's version of Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, and the uncut version of Touch of Evil.

Yeah, I haven't seen many. Not the movie-watcher I used to be.

Recommend 'er.

98 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Casablanca. If you haven't already seen it, go see it. And if you've already seen it, go see it again.

• @Kroms said: Anyone here love classic movies?

I'm not talking about a modern classic, iether. I'm talking about movies made back when before scientists invented colour: where the world was still, literally, black and white. Well, movies that had colour added later are okay. Oh, and made pre-1990 :)

Recommend, recommend.

So...uhhh....I'll start with the 1933 version of King Kong, which was quite a thrill, really, once I got into it. I will also recommend Hitchcock's version of Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, and the uncut version of Touch of Evil.

Yeah, I haven't seen many. Not the movie-watcher I used to be.

Recommend 'er.

Dr Starangelove was made in the 70's wasn't it?

I'm drawing a blank for recommendations right now but in my own defense, I only got about 2 hours of sleep. :confused:

I would say Dracula with Bela Lugosi is a good one. I also liked 'The Black Pirate' [1928 - originally filmed in color] with Douglas Fairbanks, although it is admittedly a little cheesy and not for everyone. Good for true pirate lovers though.

I'll throw in both B&W versions of Treasure Island that I've seen as well, I haven't seen the silent one though.

• It's just "spoiler", Kroms.

Anyway, I'm not the biggest movie buff, but I do have a greater than usual appreciation for the classics, thanks to my parents. Some of my favorites are The Apartment, Charade, and Some Like it Hot, just off the top of my head. I'm also a decent Hitchcock fan, my favorites being Rear Window, North by Northwest, and The Birds.

And I sort of hate to mention it here, but everyone must see Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. If you've never heard of it, the entire movie is basically Steve Martin acting against scenes from classic black and white movies, and the whole thing is absolutely brilliant.

And...I own Casablanca, but I've never seen it...

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I really enjoyed The Philadelphia Story. The script is fantastic, the actors are brilliant - the interplay between Hepburn/Grant/Stewart is just beautiful to watch. Seeing this film made me feel cheated by pretty much every other romantic comedy I've ever seen. They don't even deserve a comparison.

@Giant Tope said: Casablanca.

Casablanca has been referenced so much in popular culture that by the time I finally saw it, I weirdly felt like I'd seen some parts before... especially Rick's airport speech, I could almost recite it verbatim. :p

• Every time I see Casablanca on tv, it's either really late so I try to watch it but then I fall asleep, or there's something else on that I really want to watch. Haven't seen it yet.

• I recommend anything by the great comedians.

The Marx Brothers
    The Ritz Brothers
    Wheeler and Woolsey
    The Three Stooges
    Abbott and Costello
    The Great Gildersleeve
    W.C. Fields
    Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy
    Fibber McGee and Molly
    Jerry Lewis
    Dean Martin
    Frank Sinatra
    Cary Grant

I also recommend anything by Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, etc.

Also a lesser known but fabulous comedy, I recommend the original Ladykillers with Alex Guinness, as well as the Pink Panther movies. I could go on and on about classic movies, I just love em. I adore them. They're my favorites.

• As for good and old BW movies: Nosferatu, Das siebente Siegel, Citizien Kane.

• That reminds me, I'm actually working on (very slowly) collecting every film that's won the Academy Award for Best Picture. So far I think I'm at somewhere between 15 and 20 films, and the oldest three I have are Casablanca, The Apartment, and My Fair Lady. After that, I think there's an unfortunate gap that stretches from 1964 to 1988, and the next one I have is Rain Man.

• I'd like to second Dr. Strangelove. Also, I'd highly suggest Akira Kurosawa's work. I'm a huge Seven Samurai fan which is kinda his Big Film, but he has some really great lesser known stuff like Ikiru.

Add Comment