User Avatar Image

Google Phases Out Windows

posted by Neikron on - last edited - Viewed by 522 users

I found this article, and thought some people might find this interesting, especially after reading all the pro-Linux people wanting Telltale to port the games to said OS. This is definitely a step in the right direction, and why I love Google so much.

SOURCE: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/google-phases-out-microsoft-windows-use-report/article1587696/

Google phases out Microsoft Windows use
Web search group Google Inc. (GOOG-Q498.72-6.88-1.36%) is phasing out internal use of rival Microsoft Corp's Windows operating systembecause of security concerns following a Chinese hacking incident, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.

Citing several Google employees, the FT said the decision to move to other operating systems including Apple Inc.'s (AAPL-Q255.97-7.16-2.72%) Mac OS and open-source Linux began in earnest in January after Google's Chinese operations were hacked.

Internet security firm McAfee Inc. (MFE-N32.20-1.02-3.07%) said at the time the cyber attacks on Google and other businesses had exploited a previously unknown flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, which was vulnerable on all recent versions of Windows.

The FT quoted one Google employee as saying: “We're not doing any more Windows. It is a security effort.” Another said: “Getting a new Windows machine now requires CIO (chief information officer) approval.”

Google said in a statement: “We're always working to improve the efficiency of our business, but we do not comment on specific operational matters.”

Google, which already offers e-mail, Web and other software products that compete with Microsoft's offerings, is developing its own operating system based on its Chrome browser. It will initially target netbooks, or inexpensive, pared-down notebook PCs.

Microsoft Windows runs about nine out of 10 of the world's personal computers.

19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Now there's some bad pr for Microsoft. I wonder if that remark about efficiency is a veiled hint about Google planning to make some improvements to Linux now. That would be interesting.

• I would have thought they would move to the new Google chrome OS they're developing, when thats finished. Hardly shows good faith on their part.

• I want that Chrome OS, but I don't if most of my stuff won't work on there...

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

@Friar said: I would have thought they would move to the new Google chrome OS they're developing, when thats finished. Hardly shows good faith on their part.

Don't forget Chrome OS is basically just a web browser. I don't think it is meant to be anyone's primary operating system, and it definitely won't be able to replace a full Windows, OS X or Linux desktop. Chrome OS is more of a lightweight, instant-on 'appliance' OS, suitable for small and cheap netbooks or tables; devices that are great for light surfing but not for doing any actual work.

@Friar said: I want that Chrome OS, but I don't if most of my stuff won't work on there...

Considering that you may not be able to install full applications on it at all, most of your stuff probably won't work.

• @Friar said: I would have thought they would move to the new Google chrome OS they're developing, when thats finished. Hardly shows good faith on their part.

I doubt that Chrome OS is targeted toward developers. I'd think it would be more of a basic end-user OS, because most advanced users would need specific applications, but those that just need something to take notes in class, check e-mail, and write documents, could achieve this easy in a browser-based OS. Of course, this is yet to be seen, and I'll have to wait until Chrome OS is officially out later this year. If this is correct, it's nothing of little faith, but something that's not targeted at their specific goals. I highly doubt the Google search engine will run off of ChromeOS server edition ;)

• One immediate flaw I can think of with the Chrome OS: you have to have internet access at all times. That makes it rather unfeasible for netbooks, as they are designed to be portable, and thus do not have internet access a lot of the time

Another one is that you rely on Google's servers. What if the server is hit with a DNS Attack? What happens when you are still using your computer after 10, 15 years? Will it still be able to be used in any way shape or form?

And finally, one last thought. What happens if and when Chrome OS gets popular? A web-browser-based OS must have many security vulnerabilities, and those that make viruses target the popular OSes. In fact, Windows is technically the OS that is trying hardest to fix security vulnerabilities, as they are the one targeted. In fact, that makes them have the least security vulnerabilities out of all the OSes. The only reason why you don't hear about Mac security vulnerabilities is because Mac is not popular. The Mac OS has been dissected by computer security experts, and has been shown to have many holes in which a virus can get in.

• How will they see outside then.

• @Power46 said: One immediate flaw I can think of with the Chrome OS: you have to have internet access at all times. That makes it rather unfeasible for netbooks, as they are designed to be portable, and thus do not have internet access a lot of the time

Cell phone connection + netbook = problem solved.

@Power46 said: Yare;320210']How will they see outside then.

Here is one internet. You've earned it.

• @Pale Man said: Cell phone connection + netbook = problem solved.

Many cell phones don't have tethering. The average user won't have a cell phone with tethering, which are the people they are targeting. Maybe when that becomes a truly standard feature, it will work better. And you can't say they are targeting the new netbooks, as they have stated that they are targeting every netbook in existence. Those network cards that connect to cell towers are not only in any netbook (to my knowledge), but they are also huge power suckers, and thus removes the battery life advantage. And what about times you don't have a cell phone or have no cell service? Like when in another country? What do you do then?

• [quote='[ttg] yare;320210']how will they see outside then.[/quote]

fffff

Add Comment