User Avatar Image

ToMI drinking mug

posted by Zexes9 on - last edited - Viewed by 343 users

Hi,

So first I love S&M and ToMI games, I own all the seasons.

But like so many others I've been waiting hoping everyday my shipment of ToMI DVD comes, and when I ordered it I threw in ToMI drinking mug(obviously) and S&M season 3.

So my box came in today, YESSSS, and i break it open, Got the DVD and the Mug.

So sweet I now have a favorite Grog mug, I figured I should wash it before I test it out and as I am washing it I flip it over and there is a little sticker on the bottom, I assumed it was a "Made in China" one but.. low and behold... its not, it says:

"State of California
PROP 65
This product may contain
one or more substances
or chemicals
known to the state of
California to cause
birth defects and other
Reproductive harm"

....well I am sure I am probably over reacting a little but, I am getting to the age, well, were I would want kids.

Considering I was planning on drinking from this mug... quite a bit idk how I feel about this...

Other people thoughts?

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well...
    You can have kids or you can drink from your TOMI mug!

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

The way I understand it, it means that the product contains potentially dangerous elements such as lead or cadmium; lead is commonly found in paint, for example. It seems that products like hip flasks or drinking mugs have to carry this warning label in California even if they are painted only on the outside.

Best case scenario, there may be some trace elements in the decoration on the outside of the mug... if that's the case, you should be safe as long as it isn't painted on the inside.

There's a relevant House M.D. episode about someone getting lead poisoning from a mug painted on the inside with lead-based paint...

• I am thinking that is a joke. After all, you can put alcohol or grog in it, and those both cause that.

• A lot of things have that warning. I grew up on these Chinese roasted melon seeds that said it. Honestly, its just a legal warning. You aren't gonna get cancer from it.

• Most of those warnings originate from force-feeding rats enormous amounts of those chemicals to see if they're dangerous. So unless you actually eat the cup (I think you'd probably have to eat several cups, actually), I think you'll be fine.

• In Switzerland we are, until now, relatively free from these rather funny pointless warnings(*). But when I travel to North America or GB, I love to read the fine print on packages, because you often find silly warnings. I have already seen this prop. 65 warning in a restaurant in San Diego: Ingredients used in this restaurant may contain blab la bla, which I found very appetizing.

“Warning content under pressure” on coke pet bottles is also quite interesting (seen in Canada), as was also “Caution, meat not included” on a single-use portable BBQ grill. Gold medal goes to “Do not use this product while driving”, seen on………a distributor of whisky-flavored condoms in a Scottish bar.

This being said, I will drink without fear from my MI drinking vessel, once I get it (I ordered it with the TOMI DVD which has not yet shipped.)

(*)Well, I must admit that I have seen a warning for allergic people on milk bottles that says: “Contains Milk”.

• @SCUM_master said: Well, I must admit that I have seen a warning for allergic people on milk bottles that says: “Contains Milk”.

Hahahahaha! That's hillarious.

What freaked me out was the bathrooms in restaurants in New York, that had signs sayings "employees are required to wash their hands after using the restrooms".
    That they have to specify it just grosses me out. But I tell myself they're just legally obligated to put it there or something. Still, that sign could as well be saying "Employees here normally don't wash their hands!" as far as I'm concerned.

• My favorite is on clothes irons, it says "Do not iron clothes while on body." I also quite like the warning on hairdryers that says "Do not operate while sleeping".

• What I like here in Western Canada is their French translations that were obviously automated. I usually don't understand them if I don't check the English version first.

From memory, this include things like using the wrong word for fan ("stuff that blows air in your face" instead of "person who really likes something"), sentence that make absolutely no sense whatsoever and a lot of nouns used as verbs or verbs used as nouns.
    I should try and fetch one and give some examples. Really though, that just makes me sad, because it's yet another example of people going for automatic translators rather than paying someone to do a proper job.

Add Comment