User Avatar Image

Is it safe to drink from my TOMI Drinking Vessel?

posted by figmentPez on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

The description in the store for the Tales of Monkey Island Drinking Vessel says "perfect for all beverages, pirate or otherwise." but on the bottom of my mug is a sticker that says "State of California, Prop 65, This product may contain one or more substances or chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm."

I'm a guy, so I'm not likely to be pregnant anytime soon, but I am curious why the mug carries the warning label.

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well to let you know, if you get a USB cable read that little sticker on it. It says the same thing, or that they may cause cancer. (Which is why my friends and I refer to USB cables as cancer cables now)

So I'd go with that it's safe to drink from. That's just a little pre-emptive thing the state of CA has.

• Found this which I think explains just fine.

@Alcoremortis said: Most of those warnings originate from force-feeding rats enormous amounts of those chemicals to see if they're dangerous. So unless you actually eat the cup (I think you'd probably have to eat several cups, actually), I think you'll be fine.

And of course there is the thread about it: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17252

• @Elvenmonk said: Well to let you know, if you get a USB cable read that little sticker on it. It says the same thing, or that they may cause cancer. (Which is why my friends and I refer to USB cables as cancer cables now)

That's probably because of the solder used in in the cables. Solder commonly contains lead (though there is lead-free solder).

@Elvenmonk said: Found this which I think explains just fine.

And of course there is the thread about it: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17252

Hmm, I would have found that thread by searching if they called it a Drinking Vessel like the store does. Way to make the thread easy to find.

Anyway, as for "force-feeding rats enormous amounts of those chemicals" I'm pretty sure that's true for some chemicals like artificial sweeteners and such, but heavy metals like lead and cadmium are toxic even in small doses. Not only that, but they're bio-accumulative, which means that once they get into an organism they aren't normally eliminated and continue to build up over time.

That other thread also gets things wrong in assuming that only paint can contain these heavy metals. Pottery glazes (and this mug is glazed over the entire surface) can also contain lead. I don't know if lead-based glazes are commonly used anymore for decorative pieces, but I think it's in Telltale Game's best interests to do some checking. It would not be good to advertise it as a usable mug if it should only be decorative because of a non food-grade glaze on the ceramic.

• Telltale cannot guarantee that the mug was constructed on a planet devoid of peanuts.

AJB

• Should be fine to drink from the monkey vessels. However, there is a warning label on the bottom that says, “State of California PROP 65 this product may contain one or more substances or chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm”.

Cheers,
    bonnie

• @bonnie said: Should be fine to drink from the monkey vessels. However, there is a warning label on the bottom that says, “State of California PROP 65 this product may contain one or more substances or chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm”.

Cheers,
    bonnie

So...

It SHOULD be fine to drink from, but it MAY contain substances known to cause birth defects.

So, to summarize...

It's okay to drink from the mug. However, if my children are born with a disorder that was directly caused by drinking from the mug, it'll be my own fault because I was warned...

:confused:

• @bonnie said: Should be fine

Hm... I don't like the sound of that that.

• Whether the mug has the chemicals/metals or not in the paint or materials used to produce the mugs, California needs to have a warning sticker on the product because of prop 65. It's called covering their behind. Mugs did not originate within California so prop 65 states we have to post all potential risks. The Sun will be the next to sticker with prop 65 warning labels...

• Wait, so do a lot of products in CA have that label?

• Quite a few, yes. Especially, dishware made from similar painted ceramic-ish products that people will consume food/drink on or out of.

Add Comment