User Avatar Image

Dogs vs. Cats

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 629 users

In the interest of not derailing another thread even further, here's a thread to debate one of the oldest questions: dogs or cats?

I prefer dogs. I think they're cuter, and in my experience they're more emotive, affectionate, and energetic than cats.

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I prefer cats. I think dogs are cool but I prefer them from far away. Every experience I had with a dog, I ended up getting hurt. These things are too "aggressive" even when they're being nice (jump on you so you fall, run into you while chasing something, move their heads while you're trying to pet them, etc).
    They also tend to drool, which kinda disgusts me. And a lot of them smell bad, which I can see isn't their fault but isn't as much as a problem with cats, since they clean themselves. Also, their claws aren't retractable so they keep scratching your legs.

In short, cats are better suited to me. They're nice in more gentle and tender ways, not as energetic, as Guru stated, so I've never in my life been hurt by a cat that I can think of, while I've never met a dog that didn't hurt me. Also they're always so affectionate and snuggly, without interrupting you. I'm often typing with a cat on my chest or my lap, while dogs seem to want all of your attention, barking, jumping, running around until you stop whatever you were doing.

And I guess I just understand cats better. Which probably comes from growing up around them. I can tell what a cat wants easily, I'm at a complete loss with a dog.

It also helps that you don't need to walk a cat. I think dogs are awesome but just like they're not a good match for me, I'd be terrible for them. I barely ever leave my apartment. Walking a dog several times a day isn't really an option.

• I prefer dogs. I'm allergic to cats. Nothing against cats other than that. I have found that dogs seem to have their own personalities and will take on traits of their owners. It's interesting to see how it works out.

• Dogs are brainless slobbering clumsy oafs that destroy everything they come into contact with.

• Ironic, with the fact that a major part of the Telltale catalog is Sam and Max, a story about a dog and his pal, you would think that more people were dog people. Odd.

EDIT: Incidentally, we had a REALLY mean cat once. It would literally hide under one of the chairs, waiting to claw the next person that sat there, and tried to claw out my sister's eyes on more than one occasion.

• @Power46 said: Incidentally, we had a REALLY mean cat once. It would literally hide under one of the chairs, waiting to claw the next person that sat there, and tried to claw out my sister's eyes on more than one occasion.

My family, including my siblings and myself, have owned more than 20 different cats in my lifetime, and I have yet to encounter one that was mean in the slightest.

• @Pale Man said: My family, including my siblings and myself, have owned more than 20 different cats in my lifetime, and I have yet to encounter one that was mean in the slightest.

Then you have been lucky. I have seen some MEAN cats.

• @Pale Man said: Dogs are brainless slobbering clumsy oafs that destroy everything they come into contact with.

Hey that is not true for my dog.
    She can think of many worse things than tearing stuff up(she actualy found a couple 20 toys lying around the house and is now forcing me to find them for her every night every toy, especialy her silly little kangaroo doll)

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

So, dogs apparently have to be taken for walks outside every day, no matter what the weather is like. Also you have to pick up their poop and carry it with you. Noooo thanks.

Dogs are pack animals, so they are genetically programmed to be submissive to the pack leader, i.e. you. They treat you as their master, and are more likely to love you and be loyal even if you don't treat them very well.

Cats are much more independent, and can take care of themselves to a greater degree. They are more likely to treat you as an equal partner, and will only love you if you actually deserve it. I'm not looking for a submissive servant or slave when I'm looking for a pet.

See? I'm not biased at all, I'm completely logical and rational in my arguments, my preference for cats has nothing to do with the fact that my family had a cat when I grew up. Oh, and dogs are dumb.

Add Comment