User Avatar Image

Your Opinion on Kinect for Xbox 360

posted by plrichard on - last edited - Viewed by 419 users

Well, Microsoft's Press Conference just wrapped up on Spike TV (not G4 surprisingly) and I want to see what the people around here think about Kinect for Xbox 360.

Basically, what my view of it is is that it looks like it would be great to have, but it might be too pricey (I don't think they've announced a price, but I expect it to be high).

I'll mention the games that they showcased and comment on each.

Kinectimals:
Virtual petting zoo, stupid.

Kinect Sports:
Some of them looked cool, but bowling and table tennis without holding anything is kind of annoying to me.

Kinect Adventures:
In my opinion looks pretty awesome, it's like a virtual obstacle course, but I don't think it's enough to buy the peripheral for.

Kinect Joy Ride:
Basically just an attempt to dethrone Mario Kart as the best racing title. However, such as with Kinect Sports, driving without holding a steering wheel is just an annoying concept to me.

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved:
Looks pretty awesome, but is basically just a souped up Wii-Fit. Another example of a "hey that'd be cool to have but I don't know if I would pay a lot of money just for that game."

Dance Central:
Nice concept, could be pretty fun, but again, doesn't make me feel like I need to have Kinect.

And then, finally, the one game that gives hope to Kinect in my eyes.
An unnamed LucasArts game that showed a Jedi walking down a street of what look like Naboo, wielding force powers and a lightsaber all used by "controller-less gameplay." The trailer ended with the Jedi re-activating his lightsaber as Darth Vader stepped out of a ship onto the street.

So, everyone, start discussing Kinect for Xbox 360.

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One reason i like it is because it spares you the battery powered input devices.

• I have to say this
    STAR WARS WITH MOTION SENSE!
    Come on i want to duel darth vader and use the force with my body(yes dueling with wii motion plus would be better but not the force.

• Well. First of all, I wouldn't be able to use it even if I did have one. It's physically not viable in my room where my XBOX360 is.

Some of the ideas were interesting, but it is indeed far too pricy. I also question whether the technology will live up to what it says. Voice recognition still even now has problem picking up different accents/dialects, motion sensors often don't pick up movement exactly in a lot of cases too.

• Most people expect games at E3, Microsoft failed. Sony will also devote far too much time to their new motion gimmick.

Nintendo will be the only company to show games.

Kinect just seems far too gimmicky and it's clear they're aiming this squarely at the casual market who are already enthralled by the Wii. If the thing gets some proper games and does them well then maybe, but I'm sure as hell not getting it so I can dance with Lady Gaga or flail my arms to watch a DVD.

• Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Watch closely... It's fake.

• @Zonino said: Most people expect games at E3, Microsoft failed. Sony will also devote far too much time to their new motion gimmick.

Nintendo will be the only company to show games.

Kinect just seems far too gimmicky and it's clear they're aiming this squarely at the casual market who are already enthralled by the Wii. If the thing gets some proper games and does them well then maybe, but I'm sure as hell not getting it so I can dance with Lady Gaga or flail my arms to watch a DVD.

Oh, I wouldn't give Nintendo too much credit. They will be showing off their 3DS. Also there will be some more casual gimmicks I assure. The games they do show will be from the same old franchises too.

I expect that Sony will indeed show off their Playstation Move. I just hope the other games that they show will make up for that. Unlike Microsoft, where the other games it showed were all mainly shooters which we've already seen many times before.

• @Spadge said: Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Watch closely... It's fake.

Whoa you're right.
    Eh im sure it will still be a good game.

• I'd kind of actually like it for the multimedia controls, but other than that I'm completely uninterested and I can't imagine paying what they're sure to ask just to get a glorified remote control. Also, how is Kinect going to help me "Kinect" with a friend who's physically disabled? In a small dorm room? In a room with odd or limited lighting conditions? I'll pass.

• @Spadge said: Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Watch closely... It's fake.

I don't understand saying that it's fake. It's not fake, it was just a trailer not a demonstration, it's not coming out until 2011, I wouldn't expect them to have a working build yet.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Spadge said: Watch closely... It's fake.

Wow, it's actually advanced enough to predict his moves BEFORE he makes them!

Add Comment