User Avatar Image

Feathers?

posted by thesporkman on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

So... It's pretty much the consensus of the modern paleontological community that theropod dinosaurs like Velociraptor and possibly even Tyrannosaurus had feathers. Should Telltale incorporate the most up-to-date paleontological knowledge in their design of dinosaurs for the game, or should they stick to the more reptilian design aesthetic precedented by the movies? Of course, the idea that modern birds evolved from dinosaurs is a pretty big theme in the movies, particularly the first one. Perhaps it would actually be truer to the spirit of the movies to change the design and give the raptors bird-like feathers?

Which would you prefer:

reptilian, like in the movies?
velociraptor.jpg

or more bird-like, as modern science suggests?
velociraptorAB.jpg

100 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • While it may be scientifically inaccurate I think they should stick with what was in the movies.... its entertainment... not the discovery channel... if it was accurate from the beginning that would be one thing.

• I agree with Irishmile. Forget the accuracy, and just focus on entertaining. The velociraptor just isn't quite as fierce with feathers. Having feathers on the raptors in Jurassic Park is like putting feathers on the rancors in Star Wars.

• While it's only a theory that all dromeasaurids had feathers, it's not exactly truthful and well in JP3 that had quils, but I honestly think they should go with the classic look and not the new OMG DINO's WERE RELATED TO BIRDS FEATHERS LOOK!

and that is all I have to say about that.

• Not to mention it would be a ton easier for TTG not to have them..

• @Irishmile said: Not to mention it would be a ton easier for TTG not to have them..

True that. Plus the movie versions look cooler :P

• But I would like to say while I do want the classic JP dino look... I think that feathered dino is just as cool looking... but it just isn't a JP dino.

• I think that Telltale dinosaurs shouldn't have feathers. Or, at least, not be COVERED by feathers. It could be a nice idea having different dinosaurs with different feather crests, as if they have different "haircuts", and then we could distinguish one dinosaur "character" from another.
    Or just the "boss raptor" has a crest, just like the "boss gremlin" in the Gremlins movies.
    A Gremlins adventure game should be great, by the way...

• I will even accept this version from three even though, I think they're ugly, but it looks like the best of Both Worlds.

raptor01.gif

• I've heard it said that the "feathers" were actually quite small and downy, more like some fuzz than real feathers as seen in the first picture there. I think it would look a little more textured than the scaled dinosaurs, and not nearly as severe as the mutant chicken example, but I am a fan of the classic Terrifyin' Lizardy Thing with smooth skin.

• @nikasaur said: I've heard it said that the "feathers" were actually quite small and downy, more like some fuzz than real feathers as seen in the first picture there. I think it would look a little more textured than the scaled dinosaurs, and not nearly as severe as the mutant chicken example, but I am a fan of the classic Terrifyin' Lizardy Thing with smooth skin.

See I am too, but then again I'm 24 and those were the Dinosaurs I was shown in books when I was in 8th grade, so those are what I envision dinosaurs to look like and well there is no actual proof that they had feathers.

Add Comment