User Avatar Image

Underrated Games

posted by DoctorCello on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

...and by that, I don't mean 'obscure' games like Ico or Um Jammer Lammy. I'm talkin' about games that everyone disliked or hated except for you. Steel your courage, boys and girls, and admit your guilty gaming pleasures. :cool:

For me, the one game that comes to mind is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, a game that I personally loved, even in single-player mode. The graphics were absolutely gorgeous at the time, and I loved how the character designs were unique and relatively un-cliched. The game is a blast to play with multiple people, especially if you've got a full party - and I personally can't imagine it working as well without the GBA connectivity. Lastly, I have to say: this game had one of the best game soundtracks ever. So overall, I think it's one of the Gamecube's best games.

Of course, most people would violently disagree with me on that. So what about you guys?

135 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No, I loved it, too. I think most of the hate was aimed at the fact that you needed to buy a relatively useless peripheral to play it. Of course that was before Rockband and Guitar Hero or even DDR became as popular as they did ...

• Mm, I think there's a thin line between actual underrated games, and truly bad games you still enjoy.

I remember that many people disliked the two "The Getaway" games and "Driver 3", yet I've always enjoyed them, even though I wish they were a little more like "GTA". I just like how they took place in real cities instead of some cartoonish made-up version slightly resembling real cities here and there. True, their controls sucked, and particularly in "The Getaway" the level of realism actually took away the fun (not to mention missing an on-screen radar). But I still find myself popping those games in once in a while to roam the cities in freestyle.

• @Little Writer said: Mm, I think there's a thin line between actual underrated games, and truly bad games you still enjoy.

Weeeelll... they can't be truly bad games if you were able to enjoy them though, right? ;)

• I loved Force Commander.

Sue me.

• @DoctorCello said: ...and by that, I don't mean 'obscure' games like Ico or Um Jammer Lammy. I'm talkin' about games that everyone disliked or hated except for you. Steel your courage, boys and girls, and admit your guilty gaming pleasures. :cool:

For me, the one game that comes to mind is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, a game that I personally loved, even in single-player mode. The graphics were absolutely gorgeous at the time, and I loved how the character designs were unique and relatively un-cliched. The game is a blast to play with multiple people, especially if you've got a full party - and I personally can't imagine it working as well without the GBA connectivity. Lastly, I have to say: this game had one of the best game soundtracks ever. So overall, I think it's one of the Gamecube's best games.

Of course, most people would violently disagree with me on that. So what about you guys?

I wouldn't go so far as to call it one of the best GameCube games, but it is pretty decent. I'm playing it for the second time right now, and I hope to actually finish this time. I think the problem I had the first time is the same problem I have fairly often: motivation. And I'd agree with you on the single player thing if not for the damn Moogle. Multiplayer is much more enjoyable if only because having one person carry the chalice is so much better than that useless Moogle.

But I have to give the game some credit here, the friend I enlisted to help me with the game actually went out and purchased it himself this weekend. This isn't something that's ever happened before. And this guy has been trying to cut back on buying games.

Unfortunately, I have no other games that were considered bad that I liked, so much as games that I don't consider as bad as their reputation. Mainly Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, really. But Sonic and the Secret Rings deserves everything it gets.

• Brutal Legend got a lot of unfair criticism. I get they made a lot of silly and amateurish mistakes, but it was still a good game.

I remember liking Digimon World as a kid, but no-one else agreed. There was a certain tone and amount of life to that game I haven't seen much outside of games like Animal Crossing.

• @jp-30 said: I loved Force Commander.

Sue me.

I'm not alone!

I tend to enjoy a lot of average platformer movie tie-ins, like Ice Age 2 (and 3) and Ratatouille. I think it's the whole 'not particularly challenging' aspect I like, which provides a nice counterpart to games like Mario Galaxy, which are hard as nails later on.

• I once read on a metal gear solid vid on youtube someone though MGS was the most underrated and I laughed lots of people throw that word around now randomly

• @Sailorcuteness said: I once read on a metal gear solid vid on youtube someone though MGS was the most underrated and I laughed lots of people throw that word around now randomly

This is very true. I guess Metal Gear Solid is underrated in that a lot of people do hate it with a passion... but I mean, the fanbase is more than large enough to counteract that. :\

Man, I wish I had more to contribute to this thread. Most of my favorite games are well-liked by most people. I guess I'm just kind of a tool that way, lol.

Add Comment