User Avatar Image

Are this games easy/hard enough?

posted by Tremensis on - last edited - Viewed by 622 users

OK, it's an old discussion, but really, when Telltale published the first season of Sam & Max, back in 200?, many of us thought that the games weren't hard enough. In my case, I assumed that Telltale would be increasing the difficulty gradually game to game.

But here we are, 2010. I think the new episodes aren't so easy, at least not so easy as the episodes of the first season. But, in my opinion, the puzzles are still too simple (although very original, OK), and the solution is always too straight, never a chain of tasks like in the 90's games.

So I wonder if other players, that also like Telltale stuff, think like me or not. Maybe a lot of people think this way and, together, we could ask Telltale for an improvement in this way for at least some of their games.

Greetings.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Most disagree with the idea that they have been becoming harder. The games, to many, are getting easier. That is likely because the puzzles have become more logical. I know that I have been able to beat the recent episodes without much, if any, help. That may be because I persevere more than I used to, though.

• User Avatar Image
    Psy

A friend of mine spent 16 hours on episode 2 without completing it. Another friend beat it in two hours.

Just saying, people of very different skill levels play our games. If we make them soul crushingly hard, then we'll make just as many people angry as if we make them ridiculously simple. We try to find a middle road.

• There is logical, and then there is "giving the solution away" (as happened sometimes in 301) or basically "Here, have a power. 5 possible options to use it on, find which one you need when in the 5 'puzzles'" (303).

• I've read more than one reviews pointing out that They Stole Max's Brain is too easy and this is all Future Vision's fault. My friend started yesterday and still unable to finish it. And I finished it in 5 hours and liked its difficulty, I thought the puzzles were REALLY well-designed, they made me think I accomplished something when I solved them.

The middle road in difficulty is found, I think. As I stated, solving the puzzles gives MUCH satisfaction, and this is the important thing. But whoever says the game's easy is just trying to show off. I beat the game in one night, too, but I admit the puzzles actually needs brainwork!

Oh, and, have I told you that I beat the game in one single night? Because, heheh, that's what I did. Heheh.

• User Avatar Image
    Psy

What would you think of incredibly difficult superfluous side puzzles that didn't affect the outcome of the game but gave you a cool cutscene or something if you finished them?

What do you think would be a good reward for finishing a puzzle that's unnecessary and far more difficult that normal?

• @Psy said: What do you think would be a good reward for finishing a puzzle that's unnecessary and far more difficult that normal?

Ego.

• We try to find a middle road.

I think all of us are sure of that. And I'm sure Aristotle would agree too. But you can find the middle road in a very extensive pile of different ways. And it's very hard to find the point in that.

Out there are games of an incredible, bloody and storming difficult level, that you can only play during a nightmare. Almost nobody wants that, but there it is.

The other extreme point isn't good too. If you want to play a game, you don't want to watch a movie.

But the poll is for that. Many of us don't know if your games are easy or hard for the most of the players. Maybe some games harder for a different audience wouldn't hurt. And easier too.

Anyway, you can always introduce the levels of difficulty again, like in that thing called Monkey2, ;-).

Greetings.

• I find Telltale's games hard enough for me.

@Psy said: What would you think of incredibly difficult superfluous side puzzles that didn't affect the outcome of the game but gave you a cool cutscene or something if you finished them?

What do you think would be a good reward for finishing a puzzle that's unnecessary and far more difficult that normal?

I think this would be pretty cool. The one problem I see is that you'd have to make it clear to the player that the ultra-hard puzzle is optional so they don't spend days solving it and then find out they didn't need to in order to finish the game.

• @Psy said: What would you think of incredibly difficult superfluous side puzzles that didn't affect the outcome of the game but gave you a cool cutscene or something if you finished them?

Maybe more along the lines of MI2 and MI3... an "normal" mode and the "Mega-Monkey" ("Mega-Max"?) mode with more puzzles.

Why should there be a reward? I don't think gamers really need a boon each and everytime they do something right.
    Then again, most of the game community seems to disagree me on that.

EDIT: Actually, more puzzles probably means more dialogue. Means more gags. Should be a reward by itself, no?

(Still would be nice to have something akin to achievements/"have you tried" in the PC version though, but... we're getting off the topic).

• @wefeelgroove said: I find Telltale's games hard enough for me.

I think this would be pretty cool. The one problem I see is that you'd have to make it clear to the player that the ultra-hard puzzle is optional so they don't spend days solving it and then find out they didn't need to in order to finish the game.

have it appear ,like getting a new item or physic toy, into the note book as a small seperate case that sam and max do when they get bored of the case they are dog but some thing like this couldn't be done this season because of the whole feel,mood and the fact thaty there are only 2 episodes to go.

Add Comment