User Avatar Image

Politics in Sam & Max?

posted by dudleyjohn on - last edited - Viewed by 528 users

Aside from the less-subtle references to various private body parts, I think the TellTale writers are scraping the bottom of the barrel for jokes. Maybe some fresh minds are needed. I was offended by the name used for the dinosaur exhibit in the museum. It shows a sophomoric view of politics that only mind-numbed liberals could possess. I'm waiting to draw my final conclusions about the likelihood that I will purchase another TellTale game - to see if there are any references to Doofus Pelosius, Rankus Reedius, or Hurlus Huseinus Obamanus. That would at least show a relatively balanced imbalanced humor. Gee, I wonder if this post will make it past the free-speech police at Tell Tale?

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dudleyjohn said: Gee, I wonder if this post will make it past the free-speech police at Tell Tale?

Because there's a political joke which leans left, there's a free-speech police? Please. The persecution complex which both sides of American politics seem to obsess over to no end is the most tiring thing.

Or were you making a pun on "freelance police" that went over my head?

• If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure both President Max and Sammun-Mak are republicans.

• I though President Max was a Max-ist. It all benefits Max

• Ehh... I can see how this topic can go downhill faster than a wheelbarrow full of pancakes. ^^;

I think the games seem pretty balanced with jabs to both main (and non) American political parties. There are plenty of things, not related to politics, that are offensive in all the Sam and Max seasons. All the things that are offensive to me I take in stride because there are other jokes that I find that are funny that may be offensive to others.

Sam & Max and their universe jabs at popular culture. With that in mind, of course they will do something offensive to someone.

I've learned to laugh at myself (especially in my line of work). It's never a good thing to be uptight (or at least, not all the time). ^^;

• @Jake said: The persecution complex which both sides of American politics seem to obsess over to no end is the most tiring thing.

This. It's frightening to see how willingly people lump themselves into a pre-set system of opinions. What's even more scary is how they fly off the handle over the most harmless of jokes.

I love Sam & Max, but really, it's not exactly a world-changing medium. In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt that a throwaway gag in a segment of a game about an anthropomorphic crime-fighting duo is important enough to even raise an eyebrow at, let alone actually get angry over.

If a one-liner in a work of fiction means that the writers agree with the message, then I'd be more concerned with just about anything Max says than with a light political jab. "Oh sure, I have no problem with a cute bunny declaring the virtues of murder, genocide, and general blind hatred, but don't you dare make fun of my political party!" How does that make any sense?

Of course, it doesn't matter, since a writer CAN write opposing viewpoints. And better yet, there's a thing out there called "self-parody". Give it a try sometime. Life's way too short to constantly rage at everything that doesn't support your self-righteousness.

• @Epic Kiwi said: If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure both President Max and Sammun-Mak are republicans.

I've always thought that if any party could really claim Max it would be the Libertarians, but I haven't really thought that hard about it.

• So ... this isn't about how in "Abe Lincoln Must Die" the CIA have supplanted the president with a puppet that's hypnotizing the American people? And that the only way to win the election is through a vigorous mudslinging campaign? Huh. Okay then!

• Um... I hate to expose my own stupidity here, but, um... What exactly is the political significance of Pollosaurus Henway?

• No clue. I thought it was a chicken joke (pollo=chicken hen=chicken)

Add Comment