User Avatar Image

telltale might be working with nintendo

posted by reiss123 on - last edited - Viewed by 338 users

In one of the videos for puzzle agent, telltale said that it would be a professor
layton style game.
Is telltale games secretly working with nintendo to make puzzle agent?????:confused:

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It only indicates that those who played Professor Layton will be familiar with the overall structure of Puzzle Agent. A narrative adventure story laced with puzzle challenges. The idea is that the game structure is a genre not just one series of games.

• Professor Layton is not developed by Nintendo. :|

And I think it's great that they are admitting it's inspired by a certain game instead of just ripping it off.

• And technically they are working with nintendo via wiiware(and by working with I mean telltale does all the work and nintendo posts it on their online shop and takes credit and some of the profits)

• True. Companies are good to mention what inspires them. Though, I also agree that the style of game Professor Layton is, is more of a genre and not just one game. If you come up with a different story, art-style, flavor, while giving people fresh puzzles; then it's a good addition to the genre. Fortunately, outside of the idea of putting a narrative with a collection of puzzles, in such a manner, even Professor Layton is a game that pays lots of homage to things that came before it. Such is the good life of how products progress and we're given more of it.

• I just hope there is some character development and a cool story.

• People have to see that Professor Layton was not the first game to incorporate puzzles into a story line.
    I do love Prof. Layton so, but I hate that it gets all the credit for this genre.

• @Gman5852 said: And technically they are working with nintendo via wiiware(and by working with I mean telltale does all the work and nintendo posts it on their online shop and takes credit and some of the profits)

"Takes credit"?

Developed by Telltale Games means developed by Telltale Games in my book, and that's listed in the WiiWare section of course.
    And well, of course they take some of the profits. @Gman5852 said: People have to see that Professor Layton was not the first game to incorporate puzzles into a story line.
    I do love Prof. Layton so, but I hate that it gets all the credit for this genre.Not-strictly-plot-related brain teasers, a hint system... I do think it was the first game to do that.

• @Wizpig said: "Takes credit"?

Developed by Telltale Games means developed by Telltale Games in my book, and that's listed in the WiiWare section of course.
    And well, of course they take some of the profits.Not-strictly-plot-related brain teasers, a hint system... I do think it was the first game to do that.

True but they take some of the money which in arcade terms is counted as "credits":p

• @Wizpig said: Not-strictly-plot-related brain teasers, a hint system... I do think it was the first game to do that.

Really? I've never played Prof. Layton so I might be missing something, but brain teasers wrapped in a story of some kind have been around for a long time, certainly since the early days of CD-ROM. I'm thinking of titles like 7th Guest, the 11th Hour, and Cliff Johnson's games (Labyrinth of Crete is the one I remember best). When I first heard about Puzzle Agent, I thought of SafeCracker (the 90's one, I haven't played the newer one). And casual game developers are doing this kind of thing now, though the ones I've seen have little animation and forgettable storylines.

Add Comment