User Avatar Image

eBook Readers

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 456 users

Do many of you have an e-book reader? (eg. Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS) iPad/iPod/iPhone only counts if you intend on reading books with it.

What are your thoughts about these devices or what impact it might mean for paper books? What has your experience been with them? Do you have any gripes with things you wish they would change/improve?

I know we've had random or off-topic discussions about e-books and readers, but I thought I'd start an official thread about it.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My mother has a Nook, and I've fiddled around with it. It's pretty spiffy. We both like it, and she seems to love it... So there.

• I prefer good old fashioned books. But I do occasionally rent electronic books from the library to read on my computer. I don't know if that counts.

• @Alcoremortis said: I prefer good old fashioned books. But I do occasionally rent electronic books from the library to read on my computer. I don't know if that counts.

True. Nothing beats paper books. I still prefer them.

• I have a Sony Reader (PRS 505).
    I think what I'd really like is the ability to have a virtual bookshelf. Each book showing only the spine and if I select one it would show the cover or open it, depending on what I select. Going through lists isn't that effective.

My second choice would be being able to have folders on top of the sorting by author/title, etc. Also, when sorting by author, I'd like to only have the author's name and the number of books, not have to go through all of them before I can see who the next author is.
    Also, the ability to add more than one author.

About paper books... I think they're nice and a different feeling and I don't see them disappearing. However borrowing library books using my reader has been really nice, I can do it from home, don't have to worry about damaging it or returning it (it just expires), and so on.
    Otherwise, I only use it for free domain stuff and I set them myself. If I don't there is always something "wrong" with them. That's why I don't buy any ebooks, I don't think they're of high quality enough at this stage, and we're not allowed to modify them to fix the mistakes, so that's a bit annoying.

Oh, and I would like a reader that's two pages. It's not super high on my list of priorities, but it would be nice, as double pages are important in sequential art, and I also use my reader for webcomics. And to clarify, I mean one that would actually open, like the DS for instance, not a big screen showing two pages at once, which would be much bigger as a result. I do want it to stay small enough to carry around.

I also think, this time from a writer's point of view, that they're good for authors. Kinda like the Internet allows for webcomics from people who wouldn't have been able to publish traditionally. Still, that's not really blooming. I guess people are more likely to start reading a comic to give it a try than a novel or short story.

• @TomPravetz said: True. Nothing beats paper books. I still prefer them.

You can do things like mark pages with old movie tickets and stuff. Tis fun!

• @Alcoremortis said: You can do things like mark pages with old movie tickets and stuff. Tis fun!

Did you just say "'tis"? I think... I think I love you.

• Another feature I would appreciate would be the ability to see thumbnails of the pages, a certain amount per screen, to get a general view, kinda similar to skimming a physical book. Here again, more useful for comics, but not only.
    I know there are bookmarks, tables of contents and depending on the reader, the ability to search for keywords, so it probably sounds redundant... But I use that function all the time with word processors and I miss it on my reader.

• For my own experience, I would say that I do read quite a bit more since my wife got a Kindle 2 for her birthday in January. My biggest gripe with it was an inability to organize books into folders/collections, but Amazon fixed that with the lastest firmware update (v2.5.3).

To say more about Amazon's Kindle support than the Kindle itself, I might tell a little story. The weekend before last, our Kindle started making a small popping noise when I pressed on it in a certain spot. It didn't affect the performance of the Kindle, but nonetheless, it was bothering me. After a few days, I called Amazon's Kindle support line to ask them how much it would cost in shipping to get it replaced/fixed. After explaining what it was doing, I demonstrated the popping sound to the guy on the phone. He told me they would overnight another Kindle 2 to us, and to send the original one back in the replacement's box with the included return label.

Okay, sure it was under warranty, but they really did overnight us a new Kindle 2 and it cost us nothing at all. I was quite impressed.

• I definitely read more. Not only that, but I've been reading all these classics that used to just be a list of "books I hope to read someday". It does help when you can download a few thousands at once and then just pick which one you feel like, or even read several at once.

Side note: I pretty much always read several books at once. I don't know why. I usually need a break every so often to "process" things, I guess, and so I stop reading that specific book (fiction or not). But reading another one isn't a problem at all. Before, I ended up with lots of books around my bed, and sometimes I'd lose my pages and stuff.
    Now, I don't even need to put a bookmark (although I can put several if I want) each book will remember where I was last. And I can read ten at once, potentially, without it taking any more room. It's much more practical.

• If I leave my book on the bus I've lost £7
    If I leave an eReader on the bus I've lost £200+

Not that I'd be that careless mind.

Anyway, my partner works in a bookshop, so I'd rather old-fashioned paper books kept on selling!

Add Comment