User Avatar Image

Monkey Island is back, Sam & Max is back, King Quest is ALSO BACK!

posted by Everlast on - last edited - Viewed by 720 users

In what may be a page taken out of the bag of tricks of Telltale Games. King Quest will release a new addition to the series with the first of a series of Episodes in July with "What Is Decreed Must Be". It was though with the dead of Sierra company and being bought by Activision would be like burying the game, but apparently throughout 2010 we will be receiving episodes of King Quest.

This is like reviving the rivalry between king quest, and monkey island. Which are the reigning adventure game champs of the 90's. Here is the news from Gameinformer.

[quote]New King's Quest Not Dead, Coming In July
by Joe Juba on June 28, 2010 at 11:52 AM

After the sad news that Activision had killed Phoenix Online Studios' fan-made King's Quest sequel, it looked as though adventure fans would never see the royal family of Daventry again. Thankfully, Activision has apparently had a change of heart; The Silver Lining will be released as a series of free downloadable episodes.

The first episode, entitled "What Is Decreed Must Be," will release on July 10. The game's overall story features King Graham trying to save his children from a curse. Along the way, he'll visit familiar places from previous games (the Land of the Green Isles appears to figure prominently in the first episode), as well as meet some new characters.

Phoenix Online Studios hasn't specified the release dates for subsequent episodes in the series beyond claiming they will hit "throughout 2010." That's great news for King's Quest fans; we're glad Phoenix and Activision were able to work out their differences.

TSLnews610.jpg[/quote]

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I thought they shut down Pheonix Studios...

• Well no, and we will get FREE episodes of king quest! I wonder if we will die in that game or survive.

• I don't know, but I do know we will die in REAL LIFE out of SHEER AWESOMENESS.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

Sam and Max has been back for nearly 5 years. Monkey Island has been back for a year from the same studio that brought back the former.

The "revival" is slower than the resurrection process in Dungeons and Dragons. We are far from the hey-day again. Adventure games will be "back" when:
    [LIST]
    [*]Adventure games of the LucasArts pedigree are sold at retail
    [*]Adventure games are given the same treatment as all other games at retail and by game journalists
    [*]Adventure games are accepted as they are, not requiring a ridiculous film grain effect just to get on PS3
    [*]Classic adventure game style is preserved (not even Tales stayed true to how an adventure game 'should be' in the same way Escape didn't)
    [*]Small, once great adventure game studios (such as Revolution) produce work resembling their own classics
    [/LIST]

Basically, adventure games are now like Progressive Rock. They're disgusting, vile, different, liberal and only for those that can't afford the real stuff, but still bloody awesome (I really like prog and adventure games so this comment is biased).

Obviously I'm not saying we need frakking hand drawn Broken Sword masterpieces with cheap 2D graphics, we just need for that classic gameplay to preserved.

A Vampyre Story is the best example I can give you of a "perfect" "modern classic".

I'm sorry, it's the harsh reality. We are impossible far away from the return of the classic adventure era.

I await the deluge of "You're talking shit" comments.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I'm glad now that I'm playing through the King's Quest games. :D I picked up King's Quest I-VII on Steam for $5 when they had their Christmas sale last year, and I've been playing through them (and Space Quest) ever since. :) I'm on King's Quest V right now. It's just a shame Mask of Eternity isn't available via digital distribution anywhere. I like the King's Quest stories so far, so I'll probably pick it up on eBay before I play the Silver Lining chapters. :)

• @TheJoe said: [LIST]
    [*]Adventure games are accepted as they are, not requiring a ridiculous film grain effect just to get on PS3
    [/LIST]

Um... what does film grain effect have to do with PS3?

@TheJoe said:
    A Vampyre Story is the best example I can give you of a "perfect" "modern classic".

If you look up "meh" in a dictionary, there's a picture of AVS.

• I need some more Gabriel Knight games... And while they are at it, more Quest for Glory games! I want to order my classic adventure games off a menu like going to a restaurant. I may be waiting at the table for my order a long time, lol

• @Jennifer said: I'm glad now that I'm playing through the King's Quest games. :D I picked up King's Quest I-VII on Steam for $5 when they had their Christmas sale last year, and I've been playing through them (and Space Quest) ever since. :) I'm on King's Quest V right now. It's just a shame Mask of Eternity isn't available via digital distribution anywhere. I like the King's Quest stories so far, so I'll probably pick it up on eBay before I play the Silver Lining chapters. :)

I honestly think they are ridiculous hard in parts and very unpractical and certain puzzles are way out of left field.

• Adventure games are back in style and the cause is prolly episodic games and downloads.

• @doodo! said: I honestly think they are ridiculous hard in parts and very unpractical and certain puzzles are way out of left field.

Tell me about it. How is any sane person supposed to cross the ocean in King's Quest V without being eaten by the sea serpent? Not a single clue is provided to navigate that damn ocean... And once you get to Mordack's castle, the damn serpent statues fry you because you didn't pick up a specific crystal in the ice capped mountains protected by a yeti you can only vanquish with a custard pie you get at the beginning of the game.

Still love the games though.

Add Comment