User Avatar Image

Way too easy! And too short!

posted by clb on - last edited - Viewed by 454 users

I've played all other TellTale adventure games, and for a change, I found it was actually very relieving not having to walk around looking for clues randomly when you're stuck. Just solve some puzzles, and watch the story unfold while you're at it.

The minuses:
- Way too easy! There were very nice puzzles, but on average, perhaps one in four was something requiring some work. Have a look at the Island/Castle of Dr. Brain and you know what I mean. Get me the expert puzzles with the NP-hard games! I'm not scared to reach pen&paper to crack these. I'm happy to sit down to think while listening some nice music (want more of it in game!). Make a difficulty slider or more hint options for those taking the ride mostly for the story.

- Too short :/ I was saddened by it ending so suddenly. I didn't really get the feeling of having "warmed up" for the game yet. :(

- Non-pixel perfect (/alpha-test masked) item selection in the jigsaw puzzles, and no bring-to-front on click. This made me so mad in several occasions. Inexcusable! Also, make the Reset ask for confirmation! (or give a "Undo Reset" option) Those connect the items -puzzles don't require much thinking, but still take some time to complete, and accidentally pressing reset instead of submit makes you lose a lot of effort.

- the hawks puzzles. Several ways to solve the hot hawks as other people have mentioned. The "how many socks to form a pair?" puzzle. The "Security Screwup" photo ordering puzzle. C'mon!?

The pluses:
- The bird photos on the phone wire. Great! :rolleyes:
- The night shift time puzzle.
- Apart for a few cases, the avoidance of huge reuse of the puzzles.

Loved the cartoon animation a lot! Loved the music and the atmosphere!

Most likely, if the puzzles get more entangled (and I hope, even hidden!), the sequels are definite pre-orders. Thanks for the game!

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @clb said: - The night shift time puzzle.

That was the only one that was not logical to me.

• @der_ketzer said: That was the only one that was not logical to me.

It was completely logical, and had only one solution.

• it definitely didn't have only one solution. There is no reason why the last two shifts couldn't be the other way around.
    Furthermore, it made no sense at all how the last shift happened despite the explosion, and the penultimate shift continued for an hour despite the explosion.

• @clb said: Too short :/

Unbelievable that people still don't get the concept of episodes...

• @doodinthemood said: it definitely didn't have only one solution. There is no reason why the last two shifts couldn't be the other way around.

I think Bernie's clue was supposed to indicate that the noise occured during his shift. But I agree that's not really clear enough.

• That's right, and one of the other clues tell you that Bernie didn't have the last shift.

• @TonViper said: That's right, and one of the other clues tell you that Bernie didn't have the last shift.

No it didn't.

• The puzzles were too easy, and the only hard ones were too vague.

And how the hell approved that eraser puzzle! OMG!

With all the item matching puzzles and stuff (which sucked), it felt like playing a kids game. But it certainly wasn't.

And I hated how puzzles repeated so many times, or were just slight variations of each other.

• @Laserschwert said: Unbelievable that people still don't get the concept of episodes...

Except this isn't *necessarily* an episode. There are some things clearly different about this:
    1. Different Price tag. Sure, it's about $1 more than a regular Telltale episode, but those are just if you want a single episode, but it'd be better to get a full season of games to pay less (buying episodes seperately is roughly $45, compared to seasons' $35). Furthermore, a whole season is almost like playing 3 big games, and with a whole season purchase, is roughly 10 dollars per "full game".
    2. This was supposed to be something to give people the whole feel of how the series would go. So naturally, they should've had a good worth of gameplay.

But then again, the game was released right before the deadline, so they didn't have much more time left.

• User Avatar Image
    NickTTG Telltale Staff

@doodinthemood said: it definitely didn't have only one solution. There is no reason why the last two shifts couldn't be the other way around.
    Furthermore, it made no sense at all how the last shift happened despite the explosion, and the penultimate shift continued for an hour despite the explosion.

I just finished playing through the game, and this was one of my favorite puzzles. and YES, if you use your mind, you can deduct that it happened on his shift. He said there was a boom an hour before the last shift. Which means he was the 3rd shift, otherwise he wouldn't have heard it.

Add Comment