User Avatar Image

Sonic Gimmicks!

posted by benzelz on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I have always thought that sonic in 3D graphics could actually work... If they didn't add all these gimmicks! I mean, come on! A werehog? An over sized sword? They also think they have way to many characters, I mean, I can't even remember a single one of the names of the new characters.

Chat here about the worst gimmicks sonic the hedgehog has ever gotten into! Also chat about the new games coming out. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Sonic colours. Will they have gimmicks? From what I have seen, Sonic Colours might but Sonic the Hedgehog 4 looks quite promising. Share your thoughts here!

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I thought the whole sword thing worked out pretty well. The werehog sucks though. I can't complain about the rest of Unleashed.

The worst offender is Sonic Adventure. Big the Cat. Seriously, It's a Sonic game. They decided to put in one charater who has no speed at all and only has small arenas where he has to fish for a FROG. Oh and if you fail to get a fish you had you lose a life.

I have yet to get past the first stage of Big's story because of glitches and the dang frog WILL NOT stay on the hook for any amount of time. All of the others I can get complete.

Really, whose bright idea was it to put a fishing mode in a sonic game

• The good thing, however, is that Sonic Colors is supposed to be looking good, but then again, I found this one picture when I googled it, which is 80% accurate:

14dhi1d.jpg

• Well I heard sonic colors gimmic was "all levels being like the daytime stages of unleashed" And i have to admit unleashed's daytime stages where fun and fast. And nightime stages I did like but i will admit it wasnt sonic.

• @Gman5852 said: Well I heard sonic colors gimmic was "all levels being like the daytime stages of unleashed" And i have to admit unleashed's daytime stages where fun and fast. And nightime stages I did like but i will admit it wasnt sonic.

I actually really liked sonic unleashed daytime stages as well, but I have seen some of his powerups in sonic colours. One is like a drill. Sonic can dig threw the ground! Wow! That's so new! *Cough Cough* Super Mario Galaxy 2.

If you also haven't noticed the fact that sonic games have similar titles to other things, or similar aspects. Let me show you.

Sonic Unleashed: Star Wars The force unleashed. Funny thing is they were released close together. Sonic Unleashed was released November 18 2008. And Star Wars The force unleashed was released September 16 2008.
    Sonic and the black knight: The dark knight
    Sonic Colours: Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Although they don't have similar names, Sonic has the drill in sonic colours and mario has a drill in super mario galaxy.

• @benzelz said:

Sonic Unleashed: Star Wars The force unleashed. Funny thing is they were released close together. Sonic Unleashed was released November 18 2008. And Star Wars The force unleashed was released September 16 2008.
    Sonic and the black knight: The dark knight

That's... tenuous, at best. "Unleashed" and "Knight" are both extremely common words used in titles.

• @ShaggE said: That's... tenuous, at best. "Unleashed" and "Knight" are both extremely common words used in titles.

Ok, maybe you are right. But the drill, Sega must have copied nintendo!

• or maybe drills have been used in a lot of games

• Yeah, you could say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was copying... err, I don't know, "Drill Sim 2.0?"

Oh, and watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVI6Agm1-kY

Discuss.

• Video gaming itself is a gimmick. Come on.

• I still think the whole 'different gameplay aspects in my Sonic game is not... Sonic!' explanation is a faulty way of thinking. Walking around planets in a 3D perspective, or running around a boss to grab him and then throwing him out of the area... Those are not "Mario" either, but it works! As such, the levels where you fly with Tornado in Sonic Adventure titles are not that Sonic-y, but not much people had problems with it. In fact, I liked those sequences.

It's not the new gameplay aspects that creates the problems (it adds a variety to any game), it's the overusage of it. Werehog wasn't the most creative thing after the Snickers bars, I know, but still, his levels could be less encountered, and maybe could have more than just slashing enemies and gathering keys to open doors in order to slash more enemies. Like, you know, as he's a Werehog now, he could jump higher and maybe would be more agile so he could jump on platforms to get into the right area to fight a boss or whatnot. You know, like a PLATFORMER. I'm pretty sure if it was like that, noone would despise the Werehog. He had the potential. I mean SMG has a Bee Mari*cough*.

Another thing that has been bothering me is that people keep saying Sonic franchise has too much characters. Um, since WHEN this makes a problem in ANY franchise? People likes variety, different characters with different characteristics and different gameplay aspects. In fact, the Adventure titles and Advance titles were sold well because of the variety aspects. It works especially well in handheld games. My guess is that in some Sonic games, especially the horror named Sonic '06, sometimes it gives you the control of another character you chose from the main menu. Such as playing as Tails while controlling Sonic, or Rouge while controlling Shadow. That means they had to code more than 3 playable characters, and we know that Sonic '06 hit the markets before appropriate amount of testing. The supporting characters, because of this, were all glitchy (even glitchier than the main characters) and we didn't want to play as them, but still the game was handing those to us against our will. I'll keep saying, more characters is not a problem in itself. The problem is that we don't get to choose, sometimes.

BTW I think "totally going back to the roots" will destroy Sonic completely, rather than digging him up from the grave.

Add Comment